Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #1

New to Solar

We are new & proud owners of a 24ft RKS Jayco Whitehawk. I am interested in solar power as we are equipped with "Solar on the Side". I know nothing about solar and would like to learn how to acquire the solar equipment to power our travel trailer including running the air conditioning. Is there a site or forum for newbies to solar who have no prior experience with solar. Thank-You.
Roger Wimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #2

Congratulations on your new RKS Whitehawk!!

Entering the RV solar world is fun, exciting, confusing, and worthwhile. Being new to the subject area.....you can find a ton of information on the Internet, vendor forums, and owner forums. You can spend from a small amount to multiple thousands of dollars depending on your needs. If just getting into it I recommend you put together a starting system that you can build upon as your needs increase.

There is a social group on this Forum called RVing with Solar that is led by or monitored by Mustang65 that I found invaluable in increasing my knowledge and getting me started.

Of course just doing a search on solar on this forum will provide quite a bit of information and point you in the right directions.
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:08 PM   #3

I would add that once you get an idea of what you want to do and purchase, go ahead and post a thread with your plan and products and ask for feedback. You might avoid wasting some money or running into operational issues.
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Wimmer View Post
We are new & proud owners of a 24ft RKS Jayco Whitehawk. I am interested in solar power as we are equipped with "Solar on the Side". I know nothing about solar and would like to learn how to acquire the solar equipment to power our travel trailer including running the air conditioning. Is there a site or forum for newbies to solar who have no prior experience with solar. Thank-You.
Am not a solar expert either but you will learn pretty quick there are limitations and compromises with solar. Specifically A/C is probably not going to be practical for you via solar. Solar is used to charge batteries and batteries feed DC current into an inverter that converts it to ac or 110v. Bottom line, AC requires draws massive amps and will drain even large battery banks relatively quickly. I'll let the solar folks on the forum bring you up to speed on solar but want you to understand that solar is a far cry away from a CG power pedestal.

Good luck with your new TT and enjoy!
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #5

You use your solar panels to charge a battery bank along with a charge controller. The charge controller keeps track of how depleted the battery is and allows more amps when depleted and fewer amps when closer to full. This prevents the batteries getting cooked by the current (amps).

Since you are running off of batteries, you need an inverter to change the DC power of the batteries to A.C. power like you get from an outlet of your home. It is not practice to run air conditioning from this. You would require a giant battery bank of 12 or more 6v batteries and thousands of watts of solar panels. My uncle has 6 6v batteries and 1000 watts of solar panels at his backwoods cabin. If he knows he is going to get a lot of sun, he may briefly use the microwave in the morning. It does not take much to run those batteries down...

If you wanted to run some LED lights, run your fridge on LP mode (always drawing power due to the computer board, charge your phone... maybe watch a movie on a small DC TV or hook up a small inverter to the batteries... You could get away with my system which is 240 watts of solar panels with a 30 amp charge controller and 2x 6v true deep cycle batteries. At peel sun, I get about 11.8 amps into the batteries if they get run down from a rainy day. I dry camp exclusively and do not have a generator yet. If I get multiple cloudy and rainy days, I can find myself in trouble. Lowest I got down to was the batteries reading 12.3 volts after running the furnace, lights, L.P. detector, water pump as needed. That was one cold night of near freezing temps preferred by a rainy day. I was happy to see the sun the next morning.
Kravchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #6

I have a 2017 WH RKS and I don't believe the solar connection was intended to run the AC. I believe it's to keep your battery charged and to run anything on the 12 VDC circuit.
Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #7

My Jayco also has "solar on the side".....
There is a SAE plug in on the trailer tongue area.

I am a dirt camper.....and with 2 6 volt batteries, kept alive by a GoPower 120 watt suitcase panel, all 12 volts needs, along with a 600W inverter, supply all the power I need during the day and until I hit the sheets for the night.

The most important need is SUN......no sun and the amp output is severely limited.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:46 AM   #8

Here is a series of videos from Love Your RV that shows you everything (well... almost everything) you need to know about RV solar, (and then some).

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:20 AM   #9

What you will need and the cost to run Air off solar. As told by the Wynn's.
Resurrecting Dinosaurs – Our RV Modifications and Technology

And watch them run AC in the RV
http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/off-...r-conditioning
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
What you will need and the cost to run Air off solar. As told by the Wynn's.
Resurrecting Dinosaurs – Our RV Modifications and Technology

And watch them run AC in the RV
Off Grid Solar Powered RV Air Conditioning - Is it Possible? - Gone With The Wynns
Don't think that's what the OP had in mind, more like a panel or 2 on the picnic table and let her rip. Add up the cost to acquire all of this and then haul it around and you're well ahead of the game with a couple H 2000's.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Don't think that's what the OP had in mind, more like a panel or 2 on the picnic table and let her rip. Add up the cost to acquire all of this and then haul it around and you're well ahead of the game with a couple H 2000's.
They asked about running air off solar and this is what is needed and the cost to do just that.

When we go full time we will be buying the current setup at that time in 4 years. Hoping the cost drops under 5k for the entire setup instead of todays prices of over 10k.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Wimmer View Post
I know nothing about solar and would like to learn how to acquire the solar equipment to power our travel trailer including running the air conditioning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Don't think that's what the OP had in mind,
You don't know what you need to know if you know nothing. You can never have too much information to make an informed decision.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #13

Old 09-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
You don't know what you need to know if you know nothing. You can never have too much information to make an informed decision.

Waiting to hear from the OP on this. Pretty sure he was not thinking of investing thousands and carrying around 600plus pounds of batteries in order to run the AC via solar. Nothing wrong with his question but I'm pretty sure he was thinking "solar on the side" meant a suitcase panel and the battery that the rv came with and he would be good to go for off grid ac.

In this case, knowing how to build the clock is really more info that is needed to make an informed decision on an entry level solar set up. Even so I'm pretty sure the OP has already been informed.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #15

On the Jayco Forum join the RV with Solar Social Group. You will get answers very quickly to solar questions.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kravchenko View Post
You use your solar panels to charge a battery bank along with a charge controller. The charge controller keeps track of how depleted the battery is and allows more amps when depleted and fewer amps when closer to full. This prevents the batteries getting cooked by the current (amps).

Since you are running off of batteries, you need an inverter to change the DC power of the batteries to A.C. power like you get from an outlet of your home. It is not practice to run air conditioning from this. You would require a giant battery bank of 12 or more 6v batteries and thousands of watts of solar panels. My uncle has 6 6v batteries and 1000 watts of solar panels at his backwoods cabin. If he knows he is going to get a lot of sun, he may briefly use the microwave in the morning. It does not take much to run those batteries down...

If you wanted to run some LED lights, run your fridge on LP mode (always drawing power due to the computer board, charge your phone... maybe watch a movie on a small DC TV or hook up a small inverter to the batteries... You could get away with my system which is 240 watts of solar panels with a 30 amp charge controller and 2x 6v true deep cycle batteries. At peel sun, I get about 11.8 amps into the batteries if they get run down from a rainy day. I dry camp exclusively and do not have a generator yet. If I get multiple cloudy and rainy days, I can find myself in trouble. Lowest I got down to was the batteries reading 12.3 volts after running the furnace, lights, L.P. detector, water pump as needed. That was one cold night of near freezing temps preferred by a rainy day. I was happy to see the sun the next morning.
Ok I'll try to help. I just installed a 1,200 watt system on my 5'er.

You basic Solar System......

Starting with the Panels then from the panels to your solar controller then from the solar controller to your batteries then from your batteries to your inverter.

Panels info:

Always use Monocrystalline Panels. Dont use Polycrystalline Panels because of lower silicon purity, polycrystalline solar panels are not quite as efficient as monocrystalline solar panels. Lower space-efficiency. You generally need to cover a larger surface to output the same electrical power as you would with a solar panel made of monocrystalline silicon.

Solar Controllers:

Always use a MPPT solar controller. You get more power out of your panels then you get with a PWN solar controller.

Inverter's:

Always use a FULL SINE WAVE INVERTER! You will get less interference.

Batteries.

This will be the most expensive part of a Solar Syatem. I suggest you use a DEEP CELL AGM battery. You dont have to equalize the batteries and they are maintenance free!

Here is how you find out how long you can run a device depending on your system:

Calculating Run Time

The following formula can be used to determine run time in most applications using a 12V battery or bank:
10 x (Battery Capacity in Amp Hours)
(Load power in Watts) = Run time in hours

Example:

How long will a 100 watt TV run with a PW150 from my car's engine start battery (60 Ah)?

The load is well within the PROwatt inverter's maximum power rating, therefore the inverter itself will not limit the run time.

Calculation is --> 10 x (60 Ah battery ) (100W) = 6 hours maximum run time before the battery is completely discharged, or 3 hours run time before the battery is 50% discharged.

Remember never take your batteries lest than 12.5 volts. You can damage
your batteries.

Hope that helps!
hozerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:58 PM   #17

I think hozerdude gave a pretty good overview of getting started with solar. The only thing I would debate is using old fashioned lead acid or AGM batteries. Go with LiFePO4 batteries. Yes, they cost a lot, but you end up with a similar total cost of ownership in the long run. We just finished our second season of camping with a LiFePO4 setup and they performed beautifully. The 600 Amp Hours of power that the Wynn's were using probably weighs less than 200 pounds.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackIt View Post
I think hozerdude gave a pretty good overview of getting started with solar. The only thing I would debate is using old fashioned lead acid or AGM batteries. Go with LiFePO4 batteries. Yes, they cost a lot, but you end up with a similar total cost of ownership in the long run. We just finished our second season of camping with a LiFePO4 setup and they performed beautifully. The 600 Amp Hours of power that the Wynn's were using probably weighs less than 200 pounds.
I'm not sure about the LiFePO4 batteries but I'll check them out for sure. The AGM batteries I use seem to work great. I have 6-155ah V-MAX batteries and weigh about 100 lbs. each That's a total of 930AH's. They run about $300 each.

Here is what I Run:

The batteries I listed above.

I have 2 Strings of Panels

String One:

1. Morningstar 45 amp MPPT Controller
2. 2-Hyndai 350 watt Mono Panels

String Two:

1. 5-100 watt Renogy Solar Panels. ( I'm Selling all 5 for $500. Firm! )
( want to get 2 more Hyndai 350 watt Mono Panels )

2. Renogy 40 amp MPPT Solar Controller. ( Keeping That )

Total Wattage => 1.2 Kilowatts. Now to get the net wattage usable you must
subtract total of 20% for your controller, inverter, and cabling. So the total usable wattage on my solar system is ---> 960 watts. Not bad.

Works for me!
hozerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #19

Hozerdude

I have wondered about a system similar to yours
2 systems charging one battery bank?
Does one controller see the voltage from the other controller and reduce the solar output? How could it not?
I have looked for a controller for a 1000 - 1200 watt system and haven't found it yet
Someday I would like to have a larger system but my current system meets my needs - but I would love to run my refrigerator with solar
Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote