Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2016, 08:12 AM   #1

New to Travel Trailers, need buying advice on 23BHM

Hi All,

Ok, so my wife and I are looking to purchase a new travel trailer and came across the Jayco Feather 23BHM the other day and wondering if anyone has feedback on this particular model? or if there are comparable models we should be looking at before pulling the trigger?

We're looking for a travel trailer no more than 26', but like the idea of the slightly shorter 23BHM with the murphy bed. We're completely new to looking, and even though this is a Jayco forum, are there other brands we should be considering? Jayco seems like a good brand to us, but with so many options we honestly are not even sure where to start as the feedback is all of the place.

A couple considerations for our travel trailer buying journey...
We've budgeted $25K, but would like to be closer to $20K if possible.
We have 2 kids(3 and 6), and our 6yr old uses a wheelchair to get around, so having a floorplan that is a bit more open is very important to us, and having a slide-out is a must.

Ok, so with all that, the model we looked at is a Jayco Feather 23BHM with a retail price of $27,900, but a sale price of $24,000...is this a reasonable price? or what should we expect to pay?

We've seen other Jaycos priced around $27-$28K online marked down to $20K, and since this is a completely new world for us, I'm not sure what price range we should be aiming for. FYI, we're located in the MA/NY area.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
rob27ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:39 AM   #2

Rob,

Welcome!!!!

Not real familiar with that model, but on average it is reported that a "good price" is about 30% off the msrp of the trailer, not including tax, title, license, etc. Delivery charges can add additional as well, depending on just how far from the factory you are.

What do you have for a tv (tow vehicle)? Just make sure it is enough for the trailer you do decide to buy. If an '06 or newer there should be a yellow payload sticker in the drivers door jamb. States "All passengers and cargo not to exceed XXX(X) lbs...." What is that amount? As it states, the weight of all the passengers (driver also), cargo: coolers/firewood/bikes/etc, the wdh (weight distribution hitch), AND the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight) should not exceed the yellow sticker amount.

The manufacture "brochure" dry weights of a tt are only a rough starting point!!! The dry tw does not include the weight of the the propane tank(s) or a battery on the tongue. Not sure what the Jayco has you are looking at, but 2-20lb tanks and a battery add ~120lbs, before you load anything else for a trip. If it's only one tank, 1-20lb tank and a battery will add ~85lbs I believe it is.... So almost suggest using 13% of the tt gvwr to estimate the loaded tw. You will want 12-15% (of the total tt weight) tw for a sad, stable tow, so using 13% of the gvwr gets you in the ballpark when trying to make sure you have enough tv. It seems an average w/e warrior camper adds about 1000lbs to the dry tt weight. Understand that some options, even if "mandatory", are not included in the "dry weight" either. Look for a yellow sticker stating the actual weight of the tt your are looking at as it rolled off the assembly line, which will include the propane tanks weight. Still don't know if the tt yellow sticker includes the battery weight or not, but don't think so....

Get a good wdh with integrated sway control. The Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good for the price! Just make sure you get the correct rated wd bars for your loaded tt tw. Don't go buy the dry weight here either. The links in my signature have a ton of wdh info if you aren't familiar with one

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #3

Welcome to the JOF and happy trailer shopping!

A few helpful questions, etc., and food for thought....
Sounds like you have never owned an RV before. Is that correct?
Have you decided on the tow vehicle for your trailer?
You'll also need a weight distributing hitch with some kind of sway control.

The Jayco 2yr warranty is the longest in the industry, but it only applies to the original owner.
I bought a Jayco because I believe they offer the 'bang for the buck.'

Others are much more knowledgeable on trailer costs, but I believe you can buy for around 25%-30% off the MSRP.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:24 AM   #4

The 23BHM looks like a nice TT. With your daughter’s wheel chair, it could be a challenge to find just the right unit. I fully agree a slide out is a must.

I would recommend going to the dealership ditch the sales person, sitting in the unit for some time and think about where you will put all your stuff, how your daughter will get around. Remember your daughter’s wheelchair will get larger over the years, so think ahead a few years. I would also recommend looking at the X23F, it is a hybrid with three large tent end beds. When opened up you may find your daughter will have more room to move around. It has fairly good storage, and a large open space up front. In addition you do not have to make up the Murphy bed every morning and evening. Also depending on your daughter’s needs getting in and out of a narrow bunk may be a challenge as she grows.

Good luck,

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #5

A little more pricey, but you might want to look at a toy hauler. You'd have a full ramp for wheelchair access. TT doors are seriously narrow. lots of floor room, but no dedicated bunk.

2016 Octane Super Lite 222 | Jayco, Inc.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #6

Hey guys, thanks for warm welcome and all the great advice!

For our tow vehicle, we're looking to purchase a new double cab Silverado 1500, or Tundra. I really like working with our local Toyota dealer, so we were leaning towards a Toyota, but the gas mileage difference between the two is hard to overcome so we'll probably end up with a Chevy...I assume either of these trucks would be sufficient for towing a travel trailer in this weight range?

I'm not sure on my hitch/ wdh set-up yet, but it looks like I'll have to read up on it a bit and make some decisions—thanks for the info and links, very helpful!

25-30% off the MSRP seemed to be what I was finding for pricing looking online as well, so it's good to know when comparing prices and models.

For the size of the TT, if we can get 2-3 years out of it we'd be happy, and most likely would look to upgrade as our kids grow and we need some additional space.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuftoknowbetter View Post
A little more pricey, but you might want to look at a toy hauler. You'd have a full ramp for wheelchair access. TT doors are seriously narrow. lots of floor room, but no dedicated bunk.

2016 Octane Super Lite 222 | Jayco, Inc.
We actually looked at this model and the size up the other day as well and were thinking about it, but it just didn't have the same comfort feel while hanging out in it.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob27ma View Post
Hey guys, thanks for warm welcome and all the great advice!

For our tow vehicle, we're looking to purchase a new double cab Silverado 1500, or Tundra. I really like working with our local Toyota dealer, so we were leaning towards a Toyota, but the gas mileage difference between the two is hard to overcome so we'll probably end up with a Chevy...I assume either of these trucks would be sufficient for towing a travel trailer in this weight range?

I'm not sure on my hitch/ wdh set-up yet, but it looks like I'll have to read up on it a bit and make some decisions—thanks for the info and links, very helpful!

For the size of the TT, if we can get 2-3 years out of it we'd be happy, and most likely would look to upgrade as our kids grow and we need some additional space.
Based on your last statement, think about what trailer may be the next one.... Will a 1500 be enough to handle the family, cargo, and the next tt? Last thing you would want to do is need to replace the tv as well.... Though a new tv is always nice!!! Lol

If you do go with the Chevy with the 5.3, make sure you get the 3.42 gears if it still has the 6spd trans. And check every truck you consider for the yellow payload amount. The higher the better!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #9

Quote:

Lots of options out there for a TV. When you are figuring in tow capacity, they calculate it on an average 170 pound driver and a full tank of gas. Nothing else in the vehicle, including friends and family. With kids you always carry more than you think, then friends will start coming along too.

If you are going to buy a new TV, and want to stay in the 1/2 ton range, I would seriously look at the F150 Ecoboost. I have a few friends that have them, they rave about the power and fuel economy.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #10

Welcome aboard rob27ma! I just drove my brand new 2016 Jayco 23 BHM home last week. We spent 3 years going to rv shows and dealerships before we finally pulled the trigger. We looked at a lot of different models and brands but in the end the build quality of the Jayco won out for us. The other model that was a close second was the Rockwood mini lite 2504s. Completely comparable to the 23BHM. Both under 26 feet, both under 5,000lbs unloaded and under 6,500 max when loaded. Murphy bed's, slideout, bunk beds, etc.

A few things we liked better about the Jayco: having two doors is nice, having a sink and mirror outside of the bathroom is nice a plus, having a roof you can walk on is a huge benefit, having a travel trailer with the frame built for it instead of having a travel trailer with a frame welded together to make it fit makes a lot of sense, and of course a two year warranty compared to a one year warranty.

I also tow with a Tundra with the 4.7 V8. It tows like a champ. I don't have a ton of experience with it obviously since we just got it, but I love it already!

As far as price, well we got a very good deal here in PA. Camping World out of Harrisburg, PA was selling last years model for $23k at the Hershey, PA rv show. I thought this was a good price since it was $5,000 of MSRP. We ended up waiting for the Pittsburgh rv show and got it from our local dealer (>20 minutes from my house) for $18k. It was $20,100 after taxes, and all the upgrades we added. That also includes a WD hitch and a brake controller installed. I would definitely push to get that price lowered.

Either way, good luck with your decision and enjoy!
fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:50 PM   #11

I have the 2016 Jayco White Hawk 24MBH. It has a large slide out, and the extra wide main entrance door, plenty of room for my family double bunks, queen murphy bed, and the extra storage capacity that the 23MBH doesn't have. We bought ours from camping world and I negotiated down to 22,000 ish with my own bank's financing. Might be something you want to look at. Remember that all model are approximately 3 feet longer than advertised to allow for the rear bumper and the hitch/tanks/battery setup.
Hawkfire27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:14 AM   #12

I will give you my experience - which is my recommended method not only for trailers, but any large purchase of a vehicle as well.

Last fall I ordered a new trailer. I decided the configuration I wanted, then I called every dealer in 4 states and had them email me a quote. I took the lowest quote to my local dealer (also via email) and told them I'd buy through them if they could match it. They came within $500 of the lowest offer (which would have been the pricetag for me to pick it up a few hundred miles away), so I went with them.

The Sticker Price was $46,600 (which included $1000 bogus dealer charge). I ended up buying it for $29,600 out the door. That's >36% off of the sticker price. A little less if you discount their bogus dealer fee.

If you buy one off the lot, I doubt you will get such a deal, but with patience (took me about a week to get all the quotes, and another 9 weeks before the trailer arrived) and tenacity you can get a very good deal.

I would not negotiate with them face to face. I hate negotiating with salespeople and would too easily lose my cool and walk away. That's way too stressful for me. Instead, it was almost entirely via email, so I have the whole thread in writing. When I finally met them face-to-face it was to come in and pay a deposit on an already negotiated price. No BS, no bickering, no stress - best price.
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #13

Quote:
I assume either of these trucks would be sufficient for towing a travel trailer in this weight range?
Don't assume anything. Look at the actual numbers and do the math. Every truck/trailer combo is different.

Tags
23bhm