Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2020, 10:58 PM   #1

new Tow Vehicle

So I have a new tow vehicle ... a 2019 ram 1500 Classic - The main issue that I have is this does not have a built in brake controller for the trailer ... I have the mighty 175RD ... Should I have a break controller installed at U-haul or will I be okay with the truck breaks alone ... also wii a load balancing hitch be needed as this ram is so much heavier more capable than what I was using before (a Wrangler Unlimited )

Thanks
TheNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:12 AM   #2

Actually you should have a brake controller, the trailer will push you around, especially with any kind of traction loss, even wet roads, don’t chance it.

As for the WDH, again, I would recommend it, even if your tongue weight isn’t too much for the truck, it will improve handling, improve your overall cargo carrying capacity of the truck, and improve you steering control by shifting weight forward to your front axles, and back to the trailer axle. It will also reduce excessive wear on your truck’s rear tires.

Pulling a trailer should be an enjoyable experience, take advantage of the tools to keep it enjoyable.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:57 AM   #3

My opinion, both the brake controller and WDH are optional with that trailer, but if you were going to do one over the other, go with the brakes. The GVWR of the 175RD is only 3,750 with a tongue weight under 500lbs, so assuming you're under that you'll barely notice it behind your RAM. Brakes will help you slow down and can make a big difference in a panic stop.

Moving a fraction of the 500 lbs back onto your front axles via WDH isn't going to buy you much. That trailer is less than putting 10 bags of concrete right at the tail gate in the bed. My guess is you wouldn't hesitate to do that and drive it across the country.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:38 PM   #4

if you get a brake controller don't let U-Haul put it on.. if you can't do it yourself find a reputable auto mechanic....they are pretty easy to do yourself... location of the controller is usually the hard part.. check online forums for your particular truck where others have put theirs...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:37 PM   #5

If the trailer has brakes then you should have a brake controller!
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:53 PM   #6

Most states require trailer brakes at 3500#. Texas is pretty generous in that brakes aren't required until it's 4500#. That said, why wouldn't you use them? In my opinion brakes are not optional. They are for your safety.

Agreed, don't let UHaul do it. Most likely the wiring is already under the dashboard. Sometimes it's just the wires, sometimes there is a clip on a harness. You just have to buy an adapter with the brake controller. Seriously consider getting a Prodigy P3. Call etrailer. They can steer you in the right direction.

A WDH on the other hand might be optional with a trailer that size. A WDH puts weight back on the front end and restores steering control. If you find that you have the same steering towing as without then you are most likely just fine. On the flip side even a $200 WDH will probably make for a much smoother and relaxing towing experience.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
If the trailer has brakes then you should have a brake controller!
This! If the trailer comes with brakes you need to use them.

I’m not sure why it’s even a question...a new truck and your camper, Probably towing with your family, why wouldn’t you use a controller? Didn’t you use a controller in your Wrangler? The controller will allow you to slow and stop your TV should it’s brakes fail. It will offer you a larger safety margin towing, should someone cut you off then slam on their brakes, you blow a tire etc.

Etrailer.com probably has the wiring instructions for your truck, honestly it’s probably just plug and play.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:51 PM   #8
Site Team

Getting a good controller, and installing it yourself will save you a bunch of money. The plug on the truck will be under the dash above the gas pedal. It may be wrapped in black electrical tape, and not readily visible, but it's under there.

An excerpt from Texas trailering law. "A trailer with a gross weight between 4,500 lbs. and 15,000 lbs. is not required to have brakes if it is towed at a speed of not more than 30 mph." Somehow, I don't believe you'll be driving that slow when you go travelling.

A WDH such as an Equalizer brand, or similar type, will do double duty as weight distributing, and sway control. No white knuckles.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:00 PM   #9

Each state can and does put their own twist on the federal law regarding trailer brakes. Federal law states, all trailers over 3000 must have brakes on each wheel that the driver can manually control (aka electric brake controller). Its really a no brainers, the specifications on the 2020 of your tt lists a gvw of 3750 pounds. So you must have a brake controller.

As for installing a brake controller, it mostlikely is a plug and play, if you have a 7 pin plug on the back of your new tv.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:22 AM   #10

I briefly towed our 195RB with a RAM 1500 w/o WDH or sway control. While it seemed OK after picking up an Andersen No-Sway hitch the pull was much nicer. The 195RB had a tongue weight of ~425-450 depending on how it was loaded, and we were always around ~3700 or just over when fully loaded. While it may be optional given the size of the trailer, from my experience I would recommend it simply for the overall better towing experience.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:16 AM   #11

If would get an oem brake controller. It's i integrated with the trucks system and will work better then an after market one will. I made the eagle install one in my ram when i bought it.

If you're going aftermarket it's not very hard to install it yourself. I would do a self install before having uhaul do it.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:21 PM   #12

You could also opt for a prodigy RF brake controller, it mounts to the tongue of the trailer and plugs inline with the trucks 7 pin connector and the trailer harness.
FLascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #13

I got an break controller installed by Uhaul on my old Tundra and it worked wonderfully. I will not be taking any chances of towing any RV without one...period!

Best of luck!

JO
JerryOrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomad View Post
So I have a new tow vehicle ... a 2019 ram 1500 Classic - The main issue that I have is this does not have a built in brake controller for the trailer ... I have the mighty 175RD ... Should I have a break controller installed at U-haul or will I be okay with the truck breaks alone ... also wii a load balancing hitch be needed as this ram is so much heavier more capable than what I was using before (a Wrangler Unlimited )

Thanks
What did you end up going with?
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:01 PM   #15

Electric brake controller

I went with a Curt Echo Wireless brake controller. Little pricy, but the plastic dash parts on my old Dodge are crap and less new holes in it,the better. It worked very well for me and when not in use, I Just store it in the glove box.
AZMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:04 PM   #16

Most state require trailer brakes at 3,000 pounds; Texas is 4500 pounds or 40 percent of the tow vehicle; at least one state (New York?) says either 1000 or 1500 pounds (I think). I'm not going to do that much research.

Jayco says the 175RD's Gross Weight is 3750 lbs.

I guess if you are in Texas and going to stay there you might be ok as far as the law goes.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:19 PM   #17

Brake controller

I too did not have a factory intergratrd brake controller in my 2016 Silverado 2500.
BUT when researching a brake controller I found that the tekonsha P3 would work and that get this
There is a cable that plugs into the empty cable plug for the factory unit. So P3 and brake interface cable about $120 on Amazon and I mod fitted where the factory would go.
Grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:51 PM   #18

GVWR on a 175RD is almost 3800 pounds. Anything over 2000# should have operating brakes....by law and for any modicum amount of safety. Your truck CANNOT handle braking roughly 3300 pounds that's not even on the truck.

As for the WDH, it's optional for a trailer as light as that one. But in lieu of a WDH, it would be very valuable to add air bags or another auxiliary spring. Air bags are ideal, because they are infinitely adjustable from about 5 PSI to well over 50 PSI. It's the best of both worlds. No extra spring for daily driving, and all the spring you need for towing a light trailer.

Why?
RAMs in general are known for their ride quality. They are softly sprung. This means that the rear end tends to wallow through the whoops with the rear end porpoising up and down. Also, loaded with the hitch and what will likely be a fairly full truck bed when towing such a small trailer with limited cargo capacity (<900#), you'll frequently have the truck at or approaching it's load capacity...especially with passenger seats full of family.

My older RAM 1500 behaved this way towing a 2000# popup! The headlights pointed skyward and the porpoising was unsettling. When I upgraded to a 4000# "wet" HW PUP, I didn't want the hassle of a WDH, so I installed Firestone air bags. They are FANTASTIC. The truck handled the weight effortlessly, and towing was a breeze.

Now that I've upgraded again to my X-213, it's 5500# "wet." I spoke with the dealer about a WDH, and the recommendation was to try it out with my air bags first and see how it tows. This from a guy who could have sold me a WDH on the spot.

Instead of 30# of pressure in the bags, I added 40 PSI. It towed perfectly...largely because the tongue weight is essentially the same - 450# instead of 400# - so the hitch is not leveraging the front axle of the truck off the road significantly more than my old PUP. I towed the rig home, about 45 miles in the Rocky Mountains, on interstates and major 2 and 4-lanes with truck traffic, and zero problems...no sway and now wallow.

This season will be the litmus test. I'm still open to a WDH if needed.

But, you WILL need something. A WDH will take care of that and so should air bags. You'll regret not doing one or the other, and the tow will be pretty scary at times without one or the other. Again, your RAM is NOT that stout without helper springs.

Meanwhile, the brake controller is an absolute must, or you'll plow right into someone or something in front of you in an emergency stop.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:06 PM   #19

Go with Etrailer and the tekonsha P3. It takes about an hour to get up and running. I had it on my F150. F250 had factory controller...

2017 Jay Flight 29RLDS
2018 F250 CCSB 6.2
2015 F150 SCSB 2.7TTEB (gone)
Equalizer WD
JJVDAV98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:11 PM   #20

Most trucks including my 2014 Tahoe have a controller connection pre-wired under the dash. I have a Tekonsha Primus controller. Needed some help from Tekonsha due to strange vehicle wire colors. Tekonsha responded to my email the next day with excellent and copious materials: a letter, written explanation, manual with drawings. Took maybe 20-30 minutes to wire into harness and mount on dash. It's an excellent controller for my 3500# trailer. Easy to use and adjust. Really like the unit, the price, and the customer service.

On flat land I can get along without trailer brakes, but it's not a good idea. If you travel in any mountainous area, you WILL need a brake controller, especially something like Wolf Creek Pass or I-70 between Idaho Springs and Avon, Colorado.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ram 1500