Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #1

New trailer advice...

Hi guys and gals, new to the site and rv life in general. I just bought my first trailer a 264BHW. I work as a welder/millwright and have built many race cars and hotrods over the years so I find myself very handy mechanically. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on things to double check before taking the camper out for the first time. Things like plumbing connections, wire terminations, etc. I have already checked the wheel bearings and installed bearing buddies. I'm looking for normal things that jayco misses from the factory that I might be able to get out ahead of. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Chevy79bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy79bu View Post
Hi guys and gals, new to the site and rv life in general. I just bought my first trailer a 264BHW. I work as a welder/millwright and have built many race cars and hotrods over the years so I find myself very handy mechanically. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on things to double check before taking the camper out for the first time. Things like plumbing connections, wire terminations, etc. I have already checked the wheel bearings and installed bearing buddies. I'm looking for normal things that jayco misses from the factory that I might be able to get out ahead of. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
1. All plumbing under pressure check for leaks (including running the shower and checking for leaks to the floor outside)

2. Hinges of every cabinet and drawer

3. Give a little tug on all trim work and fixtures for lose screws.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #3

Good stuff, I was given a "starter" kit when I bought the trailer but the hoses and such are very short. Going to go out today and get some better hookups. I'll definitely hook up the water and check for leaks. Never thought of cabinets but I'll give that a once over for sure.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #4

The dealer should turn everything on and so you can do an intestion before leaving the lot.
Mbranscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #5

Yeah they went through everything with me before driving off with it. They were real good about it was about a 2hr tutorial or so on the trailer. I just figure it's not a bad idea for me to double check everything. Not to mention I'm sure there are things they don't check such as the previously mentioned cabinet hardware
Old 08-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. I would also check the caulking on the roof. After inspecting my roof I added a tube of Dicor caulk to areas I deemed lacking. This could save some big headaches later.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum. Great place for learning. In addition to those suggestions above, test each plug for polarity and ground and also cycle each of the circuit breakers. Turn on/off each overhead light individually as we found a few of ours wouldn't not turn off at the individual light switch. Run water across your roof and check where the water runs off. We found that when the air-conditioner ran, and rainy/windy days the downspout off the roof was too close to the front door. Ran a vinyl tube so water would drop lower than the door entry step.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:18 PM   #8
Site Team

I have never used bearing buddy's on a travel trailer.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
Site Team

Though I am relatively new to Jayco ownership and to this forum, we have had travel trailers for many years. My best advice to any owner is to use your trailer as much as possible while it is under warranty. I don't care if you use it in your driveway or on short local trips. Nothing finds problems with a unit better than using it. And I mean using everything. Use the bathroom facilities, furnace, AC, fridge in all modes, water heater in all modes, range, etc. Sleep on the bunks, in the beds, convert the table, etc.

Don't be that person that rarely uses it and then complains that there is always something wrong. Work the bugs out now.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Though I am relatively new to Jayco ownership and to this forum, we have had travel trailers for many years. My best advice to any owner is to use your trailer as much as possible while it is under warranty. I don't care if you use it in your driveway or on short local trips. Nothing finds problems with a unit better than using it. And I mean using everything. Use the bathroom facilities, furnace, AC, fridge in all modes, water heater in all modes, range, etc. Sleep on the bunks, in the beds, convert the table, etc.

Don't be that person that rarely uses it and then complains that there is always something wrong. Work the bugs out now.
Indeed !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #11

My recommendation is try everything in your driveway, that you can, so you understand how it works.

It is not uncommon for plumbing water leaks to start after a bit of use. It seams to me the vibration of going down the road loosens some of the fittings. It may take a year or so before you notice a small leak.

As for the roof, best thing you can do is apply 6" eternabond to all the seams. This will eliminate most of your future water leaks. Inspect the roof every 6 months, as the caulk dries and cracks. You also want to look for tears, from tree limbs.

Run both the oven and furnace for at least 30 minutes. Most dealers will do this, but if they did not. This will burn off the manufacturing oils, and stink up the place, and set off the smoke alarm.

Remember these things are hand made, and you will find issues.

As for bearing buddies, hummm, did you remove the "Easy-Lube" ports? I do not recommend using them as it is really easy to blowout past the rear seal and mess up the electric brakes.

Use it, and enjoy it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:47 PM   #12

Last year we took our Jay Flight SLX 267 BHSW, Boondocking 2 days after we picked it up at the dealer. We had no issues of any kind at all. Between last year and this year we have about 25 nights in our Jayco and the only issue we have had is that some of the screws in the cabinet latches have backed out. After using a bigger screw and some wood glue all latches are fixed and working great. I also serviced the wheel bearings and every time we go out I double check my tire pressure. I have had no issues with water leaks or gas leaks everything is working great. I believe that the dealer we used does a great job of trouble shooting each unit they sell. Have a great time this weekend.
thevettemanx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
My recommendation is try everything in your driveway, that you can, so you understand how it works.

It is not uncommon for plumbing water leaks to start after a bit of use. It seams to me the vibration of going down the road loosens some of the fittings. It may take a year or so before you notice a small leak.

As for the roof, best thing you can do is apply 6" eternabond to all the seams. This will eliminate most of your future water leaks. Inspect the roof every 6 months, as the caulk dries and cracks. You also want to look for tears, from tree limbs.

Run both the oven and furnace for at least 30 minutes. Most dealers will do this, but if they did not. This will burn off the manufacturing oils, and stink up the place, and set off the smoke alarm.

Remember these things are hand made, and you will find issues.

As for bearing buddies, hummm, did you remove the "Easy-Lube" ports? I do not recommend using them as it is really easy to blowout past the rear seal and mess up the electric brakes.

Use it, and enjoy it.
X2
mikem56 is offline   Reply With Quote