Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2016, 07:06 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinCT View Post
I'm not sure if the link will show up below but there is a video on Youtube of them building a Jayflight. Its a very fast process. Probably faster without cameras around.
I've referenced that video several times. It's not something I'd let my marketing guy publish if I was CEO.

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:20 AM   #42

That anti-Jayco video was posted my some guy that has an affiliation with Lance RV's. He denies any affiliation with Lance but he has posted hundreds of Lance videos. It also looks like the video is sped up a bit from the original video posted by Jayco. The bottom is that Jayco is not the only one that assembles in a hurry. I'll bet 95% of the RV manufacturers work the same way. A thorough PDI is critical. As mentioned here many times, owners really need to do research on RV care and maintenance. They also need to up their skills in the repair department. At least for minor repairs.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:04 AM   #43

I Almost bought from them but really glad I didn't as the trailer would have been to heavy for my TV.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:11 AM   #44

I looked at a new Coachman Freedom express awhile ago , Brand new & already I saw 3 faults just on a quick look around. Side of cabinet was hanging off & you could see the staples , seam at side of kitchen counter was coming apart, fan in bath ceiling had caulking from roof area dangling into fan area. Scared me off & this was from a very reputable dealer. They said all would be repaired before I took possession. It was also to heavy for TV at the time. I think all of these travel trailers are put together without any quality controls? I could never run a business that way.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #45

When I visited the factory last April, every unit was "gone over" by a crew before it left the line. Trailers are on a roller as they go down the production line so a level would be of no use. Templates are used extensively as the unit comes together. If you take the 100,000's of thousands of units they produce yearly, the quality issues are not that great. We had nothing of any consequences on our unit, and lived in it for 5 months right out of the factory. Every component worked properly, never had to return to the dealer (not that we could) for anything. Did have one small issue with the radio connecting to the TV and they sent us a new radio with no questions asked. I installed it myself. I see lots of Jayco's working at campgrounds and almost always get an I love mine from their owners.

Anyone can have issues and in a perfect world they would never happen, but to me, it's more important what they do after the sale that counts. As far as comparing them to a car dealership, it's a total different animal. A car dealer is a franchise, an RV dealership is not a franchise and most handle a number of different brands. The factory has no control over the dealership, and a dealership has no obligation to perform warranty work on any unit.

I purchased from RV Express in Middlebury Indiana. They did a good PDI as did I. If I had an issue I could not take care of and my local dealer didn't want to take care of it, I saved enough that I would just hire a local company to deal with it.

In my opinion for the money Jayco produces a good product at a fair price. I'm a happy camper...literally
Old 03-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #46

That is why I am only looking at Jayco's. 2 yr warranty & favorable reports from owners. I do have a question on warranty. If you are on the road in the middle of anywhere & you need warranty work done will anyone do it that isn't a Jayco dealership? Will you get reimbursed from Jayco if work is done by someone other than Jayco?
Old 03-30-2016, 09:50 AM   #47

I have been happy with our trailer as well. True there are somethings I shake my head at that was not assembled well but I have not found anything that I would consider going back to the dealer for. Much easier to fix myself.

For the price you pay for a second home I am more than happy. Now if I was spending 6 figures and saw the same sloppy construction I would not be as happy.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:48 AM   #48

I understand this is business as usual with RV's. There is no perfect unit out there and as long as they build them this way we'll have to accept it or don't buy it.

It's not just Jayco. They all do it. The exterior walls are mated and dimensions are controlled. I can see where no levels are needed. It's the interior where a level could be used. Check out post #17. One sure would have been handy here.

I can't tell you how many unit's I've seen with the interior doors out of alignment, the bottoms or tops at least 1/4" sticking out past the jamb, not latching properly, and on and on. Some of these were at RV shows where pride should be evident.

That's what makes me wonder where the quality control is. If they have crews looking over units before they leave the factory, they must be saying let it go out, the dealer can fix it, (post #17) again as an example. No excuse for this quality.

I'll deal with my issues when my TT comes in, and I expect there will be some. My PDI will be pain for my dealer before I accept delivery.

Down the road I'll fix what I can myself and return to the dealer when needed.

I'm lucky that I'm handy enough to do a lot of repairs and mod's myself. For those who can't, who have to take their unit to a dealer for any problems, they are the one's who suffer. The wasted time for them , the loss of be able to use there unit, and having there TT tied up at a dealer for weeks for minor issues and repairs is, I'm sure is frustrating.

Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:53 AM   #49

This is just 2016 corporate America. The focus is on expenses and profit. Customers and employees no longer matter. The bean counters run the companies.

I say this as a continuous 32 year employee of an American corporation. I've seen all the changes first hand. I don't like where we are as a nation right now.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:08 AM   #50

etex211, Exactly my opinion. Being retired it's sad to see where my company is also.

My son-in-law works for the same one I retired from. His stories are disappointing on where they are now.

Still the best country in the world.

Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote