Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2022, 08:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
They could do a test using air pressure. Pressurize the system to find out if it holds pressure over a 24 hour period.
This seems like the easiest thing or a low pressure soap spray leak test on all the threaded components. Doesn't seem like there's that much plumbing in a trailer, I'd guess it could he done in as little as 30 minutes if someone is efficient at it.

Now I want to go through and do it to all the gas connections.

I was sad to see the main LP line under the coach was a rubber hose and not actual pipe or at the very least some CSST corrugated metal tubing. Feel like it's a critical component that shouldn't be rubber.
Riverjunkie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary207 View Post
Of corse you had a pressure reducing valve in place right!
Yes I had one of the non adjustable ones that I bought from the dealership when I got my trailer.
Riverjunkie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
P.S. The Inspection prior to purchase generally does not pressurize the water system. This would cause rancid water in the event that the trailer was not sold for some time.
During delivery they should have run water through every fixture. Our dealer did and we checked for leaks. At the time I was thinking this is unnecessary. Silly newb that I was.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 05:52 AM   #24

When I bought my 5'er, they completely hooked it up. They ran water through it, turned on the ac's, tested every appliance. They have a rain shed on site. They opened the slides and let it go for a while to test for leaks. I took my time during the PDI and new going in, what I was gonna do. Took me a while but I was thorough as I could be considering.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
When I bought my 5'er, they completely hooked it up. They ran water through it, turned on the ac's, tested every appliance. They have a rain shed on site. They opened the slides and let it go for a while to test for leaks. I took my time during the PDI and new going in, what I was gonna do. Took me a while but I was thorough as I could be considering.
Wow, a rain shed? That’s impressive. Sounds like a great dealer. One in a million unfortunately.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Wow, a rain shed? That’s impressive. Sounds like a great dealer. One in a million unfortunately.
Yea..their own homemade doo-hicky of a rain shed. I think it had 3 or 4 rotary heads (where they clean the RV's before delivery) overhead with a hose attached. Worked pretty well though.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:45 PM   #27

We purchased a new 2018 30.5CTKS and our first night out we had water everywhere. It rained that night and water was running down the back wall and out if the a/c vents. We took it to the dealer and the said they would look at it. The rear a/c unit was mounted past the inlet hole so water ran right down the roof and into the duct work. I wanted it exchanged because I said how long has it sat on the lot doing this but was informed that I could not exchange it. So far we have had no other problems I told them that if I found any mold I would be back.
Lake Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 06:55 PM   #28

If it was a leak from the pressurized water system, it most likely can be repaired. If it were me I'd either fix it myself or hire someone to do it. Then I'd send the bill directly to Jayco. Warranty work at a dealer is hit or miss and will ruin your summer.

If it is a roof / wall leak, I would not keep the unit. Bad assembly is hard to overcome.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:41 AM   #29

Never test with air pressure.
Jimmy O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 12:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy O. View Post
Never test with air pressure.
Just curious, but why? That's how residential plumbing is tested after installation.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 12:21 PM   #31

Residential plumbing is hydrotested. Filled with water then air is applied. Just air can bust pipes.
Jimmy O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
P.S. The Inspection prior to purchase generally does not pressurize the water system. This would cause rancid water in the event that the trailer was not sold for some time.
I insist that the dealer put water in the freshwater tank during my PDI. Then after testing for leaks using the pump, I test each faucet for operation then hand check each water line for tightness. Then I have them connect a hose to the city water connection and check everything again. I won't buy from a dealer who won't let me do a full PDI including opening every access panel I can find...
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I insist that the dealer put water in the freshwater tank during my PDI. Then after testing for leaks using the pump, I test each faucet for operation then hand check each water line for tightness. Then I have them connect a hose to the city water connection and check everything again. I won't buy from a dealer who won't let me do a full PDI including opening every access panel I can find...
Our first RV was bought used, and we were clueless at the time. Our second was a new Jayco and the dealer did all of the above without us even asking.

The funny thing is that our dealer was one of the ones that gets poopoo reviews on this site.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:56 AM   #34

buy a moisture meter.

I had good luck with this when I had a home leaky window. Sheetrock look fine meter said wet. Pretty accurate.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-E...s%2C172&sr=8-8
ducky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:24 AM   #35

When I went to pick my new TT up the salesman thought I was being a jerk when I told him I wanted to physically check everything out myself. At first he refused to add water and told me it had been previously inspected by their team. I insisted and he stated it was January and they would have to re-winterize the water lines. I told him it's only 15 minutes and 2 gallons of antifreeze if he still wanted to make the sale. Found a leak under the bathroom sink. It was only a loose fitting but it told me they didn't do a very thorough inspection if they did one at all. Next I climbed on the roof and found 2 spots where the Dicor had pulled away from the corner trim. Had him fix that also. I checked each 110 outlet for proper polarity, the AC temp coming out of the vents, Furnace operation, and all TV antenna connections for signal. Later I found a crack in the bath vanity and a faulty Co-ax connector. I replaced the connector and messaged the dealer. They wanted pics so I sent them 3 times. They told me that they have the pics but have never offered to do anything about the vanity. I would rather fix it myself anyway. For the most part it has been a great TT but I went into this with the expectation that I was doing almost all repairs myself since I didn't have much love for the dealership. Every time I looked at the reviews there would be 1 bad review followed by 10-15 "good" reviews. The way the reviews were written it sounded like they were stacking the reviews. Just my opinion though.
DUX4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:35 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUX4LIFE View Post
When I went to pick my new TT up the salesman thought I was being a jerk when I told him I wanted to physically check everything out myself. At first he refused to add water and told me it had been previously inspected by their team. I insisted and he stated it was January and they would have to re-winterize the water lines. I told him it's only 15 minutes and 2 gallons of antifreeze if he still wanted to make the sale. Found a leak under the bathroom sink. It was only a loose fitting but it told me they didn't do a very thorough inspection if they did one at all. Next I climbed on the roof and found 2 spots where the Dicor had pulled away from the corner trim. Had him fix that also. I checked each 110 outlet for proper polarity, the AC temp coming out of the vents, Furnace operation, and all TV antenna connections for signal. Later I found a crack in the bath vanity and a faulty Co-ax connector. I replaced the connector and messaged the dealer. They wanted pics so I sent them 3 times. They told me that they have the pics but have never offered to do anything about the vanity. I would rather fix it myself anyway. For the most part it has been a great TT but I went into this with the expectation that I was doing almost all repairs myself since I didn't have much love for the dealership. Every time I looked at the reviews there would be 1 bad review followed by 10-15 "good" reviews. The way the reviews were written it sounded like they were stacking the reviews. Just my opinion though.
And you should be able to do that. You don't buy a car without driving it, you don't buy a house without going through it thoroughly, you don't buy a boat without giving it a sea trial. RV's are no different. It's a traveling house. Things do and will go bad, even before purchase. We have the right as a consumer to do a thorough "self" inspection. Like you said, they'll honor it or they'll lose the sale.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:38 AM   #37
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUX4LIFE View Post
There's an entire industry built around flooding sites with fake positive reviews. I've read where 60+% of Amazon reviews are fake. I look for the rational poor reviews ( not the anal retentive user who complains about the color of the box) and ignore the flowery gushing reviews. The worst of the lot imo are the sites which review products with links to sellers. Those so called objective reviewers are compensated for clicks.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:17 AM   #38

I just looked at the dealers site. I haven't been back since I bought it and there is 1 review now. dated 2019. Sadly I got the feeling that service there sucked. But, the price on an identical camper was $4000 less than at another dealer we had looked at. Identical camper same year. I'm handy and have no fears fixing things. My best friend warned me about them as his camper had the slide removed several times to fix issues and they never could get it right. He finally traded it off on a different brand at a different dealer.
DUX4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:35 PM   #39

I am starting to think in terms of
Jayco is a kit trailer it’s up to you to finish it and do the repairs.
2018 Lexus GX 460
Echo Brake Controller
Gary207 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
267bhsw leaks, leaking, water damage