Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2022, 10:45 PM   #1

New trailer leaking issues

Hi all
Bought a new 2022 267bhsw trailer. First ever trailer I've owned or used. After first night of camping we woke up to puddles everywhere. Puddles in middle of floor, under sinks, cabinets,walls,slides, water dripping from enclosed belly. I fixed all the visible leaks and soaked up all the water best I could while camping. All the threaded connections were loose at every sink and had dripped all night while we were sleeping. Which then ran down both sides of of the trailer, under bunks, kitchen etc.

I took it to the dealer today and they said they would "take care of me" and that was it.... I said I want a exchange and the guy said it was over his head.

Is it wrong to try to push for a replacement unit? Water is the enemy of these things and I don't feel like I should have to accept a fixed up unit with untold water damage when I just spent over 30k and didn't even get 24hrs of use out of it.

I feel like all that press board 1/8 paneling is going to be toast as well as all all the crap under the floors I can't see.

Am I being unreasonable / what is the appropriate reaction here. I'm generally a pretty understanding person, but bought new and jayco to feel extra secure about the purchase. Never even bought a new car....

Thanks
Riverjunkie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 04:13 AM   #2

I dont think they will replace the unit with another. This is just a factory workmanship (lack of) issue thats left up to the dealer to correct. And since dealers dont generally fully test and inspect these units prior to sale, thats left to the customer. Sadly, common today.

You are correct on the veneer particle garbage board used in all the woodwork. It doesnt take much water for the particleboard to absorb and expand, then the veneer starts to peel. Another potential water damage area is where the floor meets the wall, this will discolor. Hopefully the floor itself is ok, I would think it is. But watch for soft spots in the future. If you have insulation in the underbelly, that may have gotten soaked and ruined.

Dont expect the dealer to address all the potential damage. They may just fix the leak source (which it sounds as though you have already done) and return the unit to you.

Watch for damage to appear when you get the unit back. You may want to fully inspect all the inside cabinetry and other woodwork, as well as pull down the plastic underneath and take a look inside the underbelly. Whatever damage you find, you can then return to the dealer again. Its been my experience that Jayco does stand behind the warranty and will fix all that is needed.

Good luck.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:20 AM   #3

If it were me, I'd get pictures and talk straight to Jayco. Let them know your concerns as far as permanent damage and continued leaking. These problems stemmed from the assembly plant and not the dealer. Make them defend themselves and offer a solution. If it's a solution you don't agree with, tell them. I think this is clearly a mis-built unit straight from the factory. Remind them this is a BRAND NEW rv and shouldn't have passed inspection with the problems you're experiencing. If it goes sideways, hire a lawyer and let him get involved with Jayco. Be sure to gather all your proof and things you've done to try to stop the leaking. It's a whole unit leak which tells me there could be other things, not found yet, that could also be problematic. Of course that's a "last resort" kinda thing. Hopefully Jayco will own up to their mistakes and offer a solution for the both of you. Sorry to hear this happened. Good luck and keep us posted of the final outcome.
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:21 AM   #4

You have an great camper. Congratulations. I'm sorry to hear your camper wasn't delivered in the best condition. It's the dealer who needs to thoroughly inspect and fix things before giving the camper to you. Of course, you need to make sure it's okay too... but there's the problem... not everyone is qualified, or hires a qualified inspector to check all that can be wrong. You likely worry what else was missed by your dealer. I've attached a checklist to help you complete a thorough inspection before you take delivery.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV_PDI.pdf (128.6 KB, 17 views)
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:16 AM   #5

Sorry you have to deal with those issues. All the above comments and suggestions are excellent. And I agree that Jayco will take care of you. I would involve Jayco first, even if it's only a matter of record. If they refer you to a dealer, that has more weight than bringing it in on your own. Take a lot of pictures and document even the smallest details. You might need them later.

Find out what you can about after-the-sale issues with the dealer. They all say "take care of me". Some mean it, and some it's just words.

From your post it sounds like you be able to handle the siuation correctly. And then you will enjoy RVing for as long as you want. Good luck.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:19 AM   #6

Dealer obviously didn't perform the PDI (that you likely paid for btw).

Sounds like Camping World ... does CW have license to sell new Jaycos in some areas? I know some CW's can also sell Winnebago - which I can't imagine does them any favors from a customer quality perspective.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 10:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post
I dont think they will replace the unit with another. This is just a factory workmanship (lack of) issue thats left up to the dealer to correct. And since dealers dont generally fully test and inspect these units prior to sale, thats left to the customer. Sadly, common today.

You are correct on the veneer particle garbage board used in all the woodwork. It doesnt take much water for the particleboard to absorb and expand, then the veneer starts to peel. Another potential water damage area is where the floor meets the wall, this will discolor. Hopefully the floor itself is ok, I would think it is. But watch for soft spots in the future. If you have insulation in the underbelly, that may have gotten soaked and ruined.

Dont expect the dealer to address all the potential damage. They may just fix the leak source (which it sounds as though you have already done) and return the unit to you.

Watch for damage to appear when you get the unit back. You may want to fully inspect all the inside cabinetry and other woodwork, as well as pull down the plastic underneath and take a look inside the underbelly. Whatever damage you find, you can then return to the dealer again. Its been my experience that Jayco does stand behind the warranty and will fix all that is needed.

Good luck.

I would guess your correct and I'm probably stuck with the unit and any damage that may come from this. Just upsetting to buy something new to avoid this exact problem and to then have it happen.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
If it were me, I'd get pictures and talk straight to Jayco. Let them know your concerns as far as permanent damage and continued leaking. These problems stemmed from the assembly plant and not the dealer. Make them defend themselves and offer a solution. If it's a solution you don't agree with, tell them. I think this is clearly a mis-built unit straight from the factory. Remind them this is a BRAND NEW rv and shouldn't have passed inspection with the problems you're experiencing. If it goes sideways, hire a lawyer and let him get involved with Jayco. Be sure to gather all your proof and things you've done to try to stop the leaking. It's a whole unit leak which tells me there could be other things, not found yet, that could also be problematic. Of course that's a "last resort" kinda thing. Hopefully Jayco will own up to their mistakes and offer a solution for the both of you. Sorry to hear this happened. Good luck and keep us posted of the final outcome.

I did email jayco who told me to contact a dealer... I then emailed back that I had and sent them the video and photos I took. I have not heard any response back yet. I am guessing they won't respond till I say something one way or another.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
Sorry you have to deal with those issues. All the above comments and suggestions are excellent. And I agree that Jayco will take care of you. I would involve Jayco first, even if it's only a matter of record. If they refer you to a dealer, that has more weight than bringing it in on your own. Take a lot of pictures and document even the smallest details. You might need them later.

Find out what you can about after-the-sale issues with the dealer. They all say "take care of me". Some mean it, and some it's just words.

From your post it sounds like you be able to handle the siuation correctly. And then you will enjoy RVing for as long as you want. Good luck.
Thanks I'm just not sure how pushy to be in these situations. I don't want to be " that *******" who then gets ignored, nor the pushover. I grew up with some family members who always pushed and pushed and pushed (complained) and got their way, which I despise to be honest, so I try to be fair first before resorting to threats / lawyers.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Dealer obviously didn't perform the PDI (that you likely paid for btw).

Sounds like Camping World ... does CW have license to sell new Jaycos in some areas? I know some CW's can also sell Winnebago - which I can't imagine does them any favors from a customer quality perspective.
It was not camping world. But a independent dealer about a hour from me who had pretty decent reviews. But yes in Oregon camping world does have the Jayco contract. There isn't many Jayco dealers in my local. Camping world and one another whom I purchased from.

I didn't get anything pointed out to me furing inspection. Inspection really turned out to be here's how you use this that and the other, which I didn't realize was my inspection period and had my mind all over the place trying to follow what the instructor was saying.
Old 07-20-2022, 06:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverjunkie91 View Post
I did email jayco who told me to contact a dealer... I then emailed back that I had and sent them the video and photos I took. I have not heard any response back yet. I am guessing they won't respond till I say something one way or another.
This is a build issue straight from the factory. Yes, a thorough PDI could've caught most of it. But the dealer shouldn't have to go behind the factory and check every single bolt and connection throughout the entire unit. That would take a ton of time and effort on the dealers part to do every unit that way. We don't check every nut and bolt and connection when we buy a car. Dealers and customers of RV's shouldn't either. Sounds like they're passing the buck to the dealer. Like THEY didn't do their job.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:52 AM   #12

Did you purchase from Roberson by any chance?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 11:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverjunkie91 View Post
Thanks I'm just not sure how pushy to be in these situations. I don't want to be " that *******" who then gets ignored, nor the pushover. I grew up with some family members who always pushed and pushed and pushed (complained) and got their way, which I despise to be honest, so I try to be fair first before resorting to threats / lawyers.
This is one of those few events where you need to be as pushy as you have to be. You paid hard-earned money for a new product that now is damaged through no fault of your own.

The fault lies with Jayco for poor production, not tightening the fittings. But the dealer is just as responsible for not thoroughly checking it before delivery. No way did they do a sufficient PDI without turning on the water — that would have revealed the leaks immediately.

This is one time where you might want to engage an attorney earlier rather than later to let them know you are serious from the get-go. I would insist on being involved in reviewing all areas for water damage once they open them up — before they tell you they’re fine. Also, it shouldn’t be your responsibility to pull the coroplast and check for wet insulation, but theirs, and you there to verify.

If you and your counsel lay out your expectations at the outset, they may decide it’s easier just to give you a new unit. Of course, they may turn around and sell yours as used to some unsuspecting person. But that’s another story… Good luck!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 12:26 PM   #14

River junky where you hooked up to an outside source to city water?
Gary207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 08:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Did you purchase from Roberson by any chance?
Yes
Old 07-21-2022, 08:22 AM   #16

I was hooked to the campground spigot
Old 07-21-2022, 03:51 PM   #17

Of corse you had a pressure reducing valve in place right!
Gary207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
This is one of those few events where you need to be as pushy as you have to be. You paid hard-earned money for a new product that now is damaged through no fault of your own.

The fault lies with Jayco for poor production, not tightening the fittings. But the dealer is just as responsible for not thoroughly checking it before delivery. No way did they do a sufficient PDI without turning on the water — that would have revealed the leaks immediately.

This is one time where you might want to engage an attorney earlier rather than later to let them know you are serious from the get-go. I would insist on being involved in reviewing all areas for water damage once they open them up — before they tell you they’re fine. Also, it shouldn’t be your responsibility to pull the coroplast and check for wet insulation, but theirs, and you there to verify.

If you and your counsel lay out your expectations at the outset, they may decide it’s easier just to give you a new unit. Of course, they may turn around and sell yours as used to some unsuspecting person. But that’s another story… Good luck!

If you go this route, you may want to verify that the pex bands were not tightened according to spec. I think there is a calibration tool to check that although it may differ from tool manufacturers. If they don't play ball sue the pants off of them!
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:44 PM   #19

P.S. The Inspection prior to purchase generally does not pressurize the water system. This would cause rancid water in the event that the trailer was not sold for some time.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
P.S. The Inspection prior to purchase generally does not pressurize the water system. This would cause rancid water in the event that the trailer was not sold for some time.
They could do a test using air pressure. Pressurize the system to find out if it holds pressure over a 24 hour period.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
267bhsw leaks, leaking, water damage