Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #1

New travel trailers

I just dropped off my TT for some warranty work. This is the largest Jayco dealer in the nation.

Before I left I talked to the sales manager who I've known for 20 years. He told me the backlog for ordering a new Jayco TT is extensive.

He said if someone ordered a unit now it could be next summer before it's built and delivered.

Even they are having a hard time replacing units that they have in stock after selling them.

Jayco is that backlogged on orders. Catch 22 for Jayco, great sales #'s but can't keep up with the orders.

Don't know if it's different in other parts of the country, but they are a high volume dealer and you think would have priority getting orders.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Before I left I talked to the sales manager who I've known for 20 years. He told me the backlog for ordering a new Jayco TT is extensive.

Jayco is that backlogged on orders. Catch 22 for Jayco, great sales #'s but can't keep up with the orders.
It may indeed be a catch 22 for Jayco and a problem for potential new Jayco buyers, but it's also an indication of a strenghtening economy and that's good news for everyone.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #3

I wonder if Jayco is doing anything to increase production. Hiring new workers, new production lines, etc.

The quality controls issues could increase, depending on how they deal with this issue.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #4

Before I decided to buy a Jayco, I had my eye on a Winnebago with about the same floor plan. When I first looked at them there were 8 in the DFW area. I got ready to buy a couple of months later and they were all gone. I waited around for a year trying to find one within reasonable driving distance... and finally gave up. A friend had bought a Jayco and I looked it over... and decided I liked it as well as the Winnebago Ultra Lite. I've not been disappointed. I wonder if they're not all running full tilt.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #5
Site Team

This might help explain it.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...6-a-41998.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #6

Quote:
I wonder if Jayco is doing anything to increase production. Hiring new workers, new production lines, etc.
When our expected delivery date was doubled this August (from 10 weeks to 20+ weeks) on our 2017 Eagle TT, I had a conversation with our regional Jayco rep about it.

During that conversation, he stated to me that because of the huge backlog, Jayco was in the process of putting up a second Eagle line, but that it would be after the first of the year before they would have it up and running. Ours ended up almost exactly 19 weeks from order date to delivery, but it sounds a LOT worse now.

And here I thought 20 weeks was unreasonable!!!
Old 12-03-2016, 10:24 PM   #7

Hmm, is it really good news? I think it is much easier to build RVs than build nice places to use those RVs. I am not sure what it is like down south, but it is getting harder and harder to access provincial parks in Ontario because the demand is high and supply is essentially fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
It may indeed be a catch 22 for Jayco and a problem for potential new Jayco buyers, but it's also an indication of a strenghtening economy and that's good news for everyone.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:57 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
Hmm, is it really good news? I think it is much easier to build RVs than build nice places to use those RVs. I am not sure what it is like down south, but it is getting harder and harder to access provincial parks in Ontario because the demand is high and supply is essentially fixed.
Yes there are only so many campgrounds/campsites and there are only so many RV techs and service bays to service all those new RV`s.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:05 AM   #9

Crabman, you are right about getting service on our TT's. The dealers sure want to sell them but when it comes time to get them serviced, that's another story.

That was also part of our conversation. Dealers trying to get good help & service tech's. A lot of the times it's OJT for them. Not a lot of people getting into the RV service side.

Luckily the auto service departments don't tell us we can get your car in 2 months down the road and will need 4 weeks to fix it.

This is an area the RV industry needs to address. With the surge in sales, all these units will need issues addressed at some point.

Here in SoCal I have 5 or 6 Ford dealers within a 60 mile radius to take my car to if needed.

1 Jayco dealer in all of southern ca. You do the math. It isn't pretty.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Makes me want to open up an RV service center.
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #11

Luckily the auto service departments don't tell us we can get your car in 2 months down the road and will need 4 weeks to fix it.
Just try to get your truck into my local Ford dealer. What by there 3 days in a row to get them to hook up the code reader. Teck too busy, has to leave early, etc. My truck once sat at the service dept. for 5 days waiting just for an oil chance.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #12

No wonder it is impossible to get a campsite... how many new campgrounds have you heard being built vs the number of new RV's out there..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:50 AM   #13

Witt74, sounds like your Ford dealer doesn't care much. Can't imagine waiting for 5 days for a oil change.

No other dealers around? Any competent shop can change the oil while you wait.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #14

Maybe you should come to Canada for your Jayco. The only local Jayco dealer here has literally hundreds on the lot. Your dollar is worth more too
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #15

Called my dealer for warranty work 2 weeks ago and was given an appointment for December 13, and was told they would have it for 3 - 4 weeks. Since then I have repaired the electric tongue jack myself and if I can get Furrion to send me the unit, I'll replace the entertainment center myself. I should find out about that tomorrow. Doesn't do much good to have a 2-year warranty if you can't use it to get the camper fixed. But I use my unit, and even more so since I retired. I'd rather spend 15 minutes fixing the tongue jack and maybe an hour replacing the DVD player than tow it into the D/FW Metroplex and wait... and wait... and... well, you know. Heck, I'm needin' a camping fix right now!
Old 12-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #16

Quote:
The problem is finding workers. Numerous articles in the past stating very few can pass a drug test.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #17

Jayco 2014

This is my first post on this site and I’m not sure if I am on the right thread.
I purchased a Jayco eagle 298RLDS 2 yrs ago and as soon as I got it I noticed the black water wash connection was on the opposite side of the trailer than the black and gray water emptying valves. I had someone come and move the washout connection to the other side of the trailer. Why would they put the black water washout connection on the opposite side of the trailer? Is that a design fault.Did the designers not realize that the customer is on the other side of the trailer emptying the gray and black tanks and would have to run a hose under the trailer to the other side and then go around to connect it etc.
The trailer has two air conditioners but the one in the front over the bed has the controls facing the cabinets which makes them hard to get to. You need a mirror to see them as I am too big to get between the cabinets and the AC to see the controls. I understand that this cannot be changed. I don’t use this AC at all since the main AC is enough to cool the trailer even on hot days.It looks to me like it is designed by someone that has never been in a traveltrailer.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapel View Post
This is my first post on this site and I’m not sure if I am on the right thread.
I purchased a Jayco eagle 298RLDS 2 yrs ago and as soon as I got it I noticed the black water wash connection was on the opposite side of the trailer than the black and gray water emptying valves. I had someone come and move the washout connection to the other side of the trailer. Why would they put the black water washout connection on the opposite side of the trailer? Is that a design fault.Did the designers not realize that the customer is on the other side of the trailer emptying the gray and black tanks and would have to run a hose under the trailer to the other side and then go around to connect it etc.
The trailer has two air conditioners but the one in the front over the bed has the controls facing the cabinets which makes them hard to get to. You need a mirror to see them as I am too big to get between the cabinets and the AC to see the controls. I understand that this cannot be changed. I don’t use this AC at all since the main AC is enough to cool the trailer even on hot days.It looks to me like it is designed by someone that has never been in a traveltrailer.
Welcome to the forum. You should start a new thread in the travel trailer or general Jayco chat forum for better exposure and answer to your questions
Old 12-04-2016, 06:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Welcome to the forum. You should start a new thread in the travel trailer or general Jayco chat forum for better exposure and answer to your questions
Thanks,
I guess it was more of a statement of what I thought was bad thinking in designing the TT.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman1372 View Post
Makes me want to open up an RV service center.
Funny you mention that. I have been doing some research on this very subject. I am looking at the market to see what startup costs would be and training requirements. It would be nice to access a regional RV service center IMO. Any brand and I don't care where it was purchased.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote