Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2016, 08:13 AM   #1

New TT/Tow Vehicle questions

Hi all,
We are going to be going full-time in Florida/south east US.
We bought and are equipping an SLX 264BHW; if there's something anyone thinks is a must-have, please let me know.
Trailer mods so far:
On board EMS
Bed lifts
Counter extension
Compartment LEDs
Shore Power plug mod
TVs and removable mounts
Sewer hoses/Carrier tube
Furnace screen
Propane tanks cover
Back up camera in tow vehicle (for hitch, using head unit screen)
Rear view camera for trailer with separate 7" monitor in Tow Vehicle
We want to add some shelving and such and 12v fans.
Plus all the "other" stuff, LOL, it never seems to end!

Tow vehicle question:
I'm wondering if our 2008 Ram SXT 1500 (4.7 Litre, tow packages) is enough vehicle?? It's set up properly with a WDH and brake controller; it didn't feel squirrelly when I brought it home. I've towed before (22 ft. Grady White, about 4.5K in weight for that rig).
By the numbers, I'm told we should be ok if we don't load it up too much, but we're a little nervous of this. A TV change could be made to happen, but I LIKE the one I have... I really appreciate input from y'all.
Thanks for reading.
I'm sure I'll be asking more.
Bonedaddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:35 AM   #2

Take a look at the towing guide for your truck. Several other factors besides 1500 and 4.7 liter with towing package will tell you your gross towing capacity.
http://dcd96xmek71bc.cloudfront.net/...wGuide0801.pdf
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #3

Thanks, I got a figure previously from the local Dodge stealer, which is in agreement with the guide; 6,050 lbs. towing capacity. This Ram model and package was apparently designed to tow!
SLX 264BHW is 4,550 lbs. dry. That leaves 1500 lbs. for 2 people, 2 pugs, and stuff. Lots of stuff.
This is why I posted my setup and question... I'm not experienced at this yet AT ALL, and would like it to go well.

Thanks for the link, and the help!
Old 04-09-2016, 12:03 AM   #4

And the trailer battery, propane, water, gear, supplies, etc. I suspect you may be borderline. You also need to see what your maximum tongue weight is and see if that is an issue as well.
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #5

You're pushing the limits of the TV at best. I like at least a ten percent cushion, which I don't think you will have. I had your WDH and it's a good one. But 1500# bars? I'm seeing a dry tongue weight of under 500#, so even with a load you may want to get lighter bars. Maybe someone who knows about the stresses involved will comment. I could be wrong.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonedaddio View Post
Thanks, I got a figure previously from the local Dodge stealer, which is in agreement with the guide; 6,050 lbs. towing capacity. This Ram model and package was apparently designed to tow!
SLX 264BHW is 4,550 lbs. dry. That leaves 1500 lbs. for 2 people, 2 pugs, and stuff. Lots of stuff.
This is why I posted my setup and question... I'm not experienced at this yet AT ALL, and would like it to go well.

6050 lbs. towing capacity is actually pretty low. I suspect your actual TT weight ready to go will tax that (probably somewhere around 6,000). In all likelihood, your tongue weight +hitch head weight will be pretty close to the payload rating of your truck.

Folks will do what they want but I think you have too light of a truck. But then that's kind of a broken record on most travel trailer forums.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #7

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
You're pushing the limits of the TV at best. I like at least a ten percent cushion, which I don't think you will have. I had your WDH and it's a good one. But 1500# bars? I'm seeing a dry tongue weight of under 500#, so even with a load you may want to get lighter bars. Maybe someone who knows about the stresses involved will comment. I could be wrong.
@ Bonedaddio: What is your payload and rear axle gross weight rating? I didn't see those figures in your posts. Have you looked at those? What a truck can tow is not the same as the load it can carry in the cab, in the bed, trailer tongue weight.

@cekkk: I beleive he was talking towing capacity, not weight bars for the WDH.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post

@cekkk: I beleive he was talking towing capacity, not weight bars for the WDH.
I drew that 1500# from his signature, Blue Ox 1500. Could be wrong. Been happening lately! My Sway Pro 1500 had to handle the roughly 1400# TW of my TT. So that was my thinking. My Eagle specs showed 1200 # for the 8000# trailer. It's the only TT I've run across with 15% TW from the get-go.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #9

A visit to the CAT Scale will give you the definitive answer. IMHO your limiting number will be the Rear GAWR. Your max trailer weight (from the owners manual) I would expect to be in the 9k-10k range but I expect you would Max the rear axle around 5k-6k.
You mention furnace screens, the fridge and water heater can also use them.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
I drew that 1500# from his signature, Blue Ox 1500. Could be wrong. Been happening lately! My Sway Pro 1500 had to handle the roughly 1400# TW of my TT. So that was my thinking. My Eagle specs showed 1200 # for the 8000# trailer. It's the only TT I've run across with 15% TW from the get-go.
Now that you mention it, I don't actually have a sig, I should make one!
I really do appreciate, and HEAR the advice I'm being given. I'll look up the rear axle rating, and it sounds like I might want to look at a different TV. Sigh... I like this one. I may do a local "shakedown" trip loaded up to see how she does.
Duly noted about the screens!
Old 04-12-2016, 05:52 AM   #11

You might consider carrying a 5 gal jug of fuel for your truck. Sometimes the gas stations can be far apart just when you need one the most.
Have a great trip!

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:17 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip...... I'm wondering if our 2008 Ram SXT 1500 (4.7 Litre, tow packages) is enough vehicle?? It's set up properly with a WDH and brake controller; it didn't feel squirrelly when I brought it home.......snip
Welcome to JOF.........

To eliminate all the guess work take your TV/TT combination under "loaded" conditions to a CAT scale..., the CAT is the only way to confirm if your Ram 1500 is an ideal TV based on your personal loading habits. The CAT data will also confirm that your WDH is sized and adjusted properly.

If it will be your first time at a CAT scale, rest assured the CAT scale is user friendly and many non-commercial vehicles utilize them. If you have never adjusted a WDH before, have a friend (w/tools) with you that is familiar with adjusting a WDH.

CAT Scale "how-to": http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Once you have the CAT results and made any necessary adjustments, then with confidence decide if a new TV is in order.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Welcome to JOF.........

To eliminate all the guess work take your TV/TT combination under "loaded" conditions to a CAT scale..., the CAT is the only way to confirm if your Ram 1500 is an ideal TV based on your personal loading habits. The CAT data will also confirm that your WDH is sized and adjusted properly.

If it will be your first time at a CAT scale, rest assured the CAT scale is user friendly and many non-commercial vehicles utilize them. If you have never adjusted a WDH before, have a friend (w/tools) with you that is familiar with adjusting a WDH.

CAT Scale "how-to": http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Once you have the CAT results and made any necessary adjustments, then with confidence decide if a new TV is in order.

Bob
Thanks all for so much help!!
We're going full-time; basically going to tool around the PA and Delmarva areas until fall, then head for Florida where we'll pretty much stay... don't have a permanent location or anything, just gonna look around and stay a while here and there, pretty much always on water; salt or fresh.

SOOO... based on what I learned and was hearing, and my gut feeling, we just traded the Dodge in on a 2016 Ford F150 with the Ecoboost 3.5L and a towing capacity over 10,000 lbs. We had the cash, and we're certainly going to need it (especially as my lady has to have her "stuff" and I have to have my "toys".
Once I get the trailer de-winterized and loaded up, I'm heading to the nearest cat scale, and following the procedures and suggested. I did read through them, and I'll do it. I really like it when towing/rv-ing/next stage of life go well!!
I've gotta make a sig and upload some photos, I really like the new truck, and I've made a few mods/updates/upgrades to the Trailer.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:24 AM   #14
BCK

Agree with previous comments about not maxing out the weight. Max rated towing capacity has more to do with safe stopping than pulling. The unfortunate part is you can try it and the TV will pull just fine. You don't know that the braking power is over taxed until trying to stop going down a hill or when someone pulls out right in front if you on the highway.

Rule of thumb...
2x weight = 4 times stopping distance
2x speed = 4 times stopping distance
2x weight + 2x speed = 8 times stopping distance

You are best on the safe side of pushing any one of these too far.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #15

Smile New 264BHW Owner

We just picked up our 264 about 6 weeks ago, and I was in your boat myself. Our yellow sticker states a manufactured weight at 4685# with the 2 propane tanks filled. To make #'s easy, figure 4700# as your base, minimum weight. I'm pulling ours with a 2001 F150 Lariat SuperCrew. Last weekend I did the CAT Scale procedure, to try to get some weight numbers.

In reality your trailer is going to max out at 6500#, and I think you'll get pretty close to it. Find out what your Gross Combination Vehicle Weight Rating, or GCVWR, is for your truck. That will determine your tongue weight, and how you need to distribute your loading of the trailer. As a test loading of our set up, we had the fuel tank full, our son was with us, and I had filled the fresh water tank full. The grew & black water tanks were >80% full to simulate some weight in the trailer. Our steer axle was maxed out, the drive axle was 200# under weight, and the trailer was about 1200# under maximum allowable. Our GCVWR was also about 1500# under gross.

I did our test loading as a partially loaded scenario. I know our steer axle won't be maxed out under normal conditions, since our son won't be there. Not a little kid, he's 29 years old, and a very big man(350+). Our 2 little (20#) dogs will be with us in the truck, plus an extra propane tank, and gas can for generator, that's about it. That will put more weight on the drive axle. I will also move some items to the rear storage since we won't be carrying the waste/water weight.

Once you get some of your numbers figured out, TV payload, GCVWR, and your tongue weight, try to get an empty weight of your truck, with full fuel tank. That will give you a baseline weight for your truck. You also might want to get your trailer weight at the same time. Leave your trailer jack foot on the jack, then pull up until your truck is off the scale. Jump out unhitch the trailer, and you can get the trailer weight. Rehook up, and you'll have a solid idea of your weights, and what you need to adjust.

How do I know this?? I drove 18 wheeler for more than 25 years, so this is nothing new to me at all. Also, you really want to go through your mechanical systems, as it's much easier, and cheaper, to fix it in your driveway, rather than on the road, or after a tow to a shop.
kevcarr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:32 PM   #16

Just caught your last post, excellent choice on TV. I'm also on some of the Ford forums, and those really help me out. Your '16 F150 should pull the trailer very nicely indeed.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:02 PM   #17

Kev,

Not sure a trucker would be to happy if one of us left our trailer sitting on the scale, unhooked. There is actually a way to get all the weights needed. It does involve unhooking the tt, but it is advised to unhook it back where the big rigs park. A link to the "How to" is in my signature. You want to weigh 3 times total.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:17 PM   #18

Actually all you would have to do is pull the truck off the scale and have the tongue jack on pad 1 and the rear axles on pad 2, and release the ball, and unhook the bars. Get the weight of the trailer, reattach the bars, drop the tongue back on the ball, and drive off. It would take 5 or 7 minutes max. That would be the easiest, quickest way to do it.

This is just strictly to get a loaded trailer weight. Having the tongue jack on pad 1 will give you your tongue weight. The pad 2 weight is your TT axle weight, and the gross weight would be your pad 1 & 2 weight.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #19
BCK

There are as many opinions as the are people but you can also get your weights with two trips over the scale.

Go over loaded pulling the trailer and write down the 3 weights. TV front and rear axles and trailer axles.

The total of all three is the gross combined vehicle weight. This number needs to be under the GCVWR listed for your TV.

The two TV axle weights combined includes the total weight of your TV and contents plus tongue weight of the trailer and needs to be less than the GVWR for your TV.

Drop the trailer in the parking lot and take the TV over the scale a second time recording the two axle weights.

Total weight of the two axles is the loaded weight of your TV and contents. Subtract this number from the total of the two TV axles from the first pass and you have the tongue weight of your trailer. Make sure this number matches your hitch setup and doesn't exceed the max tongue weight allowed.

Subtract the total axle weights from the second pass over the scale from the total axle weights of the first pass and you have the total loaded weight of your trailer. The number needs to be less than the GVWR posted for your trailer.

(Note. This comes from 23 yr with a class 1 lisence and many miles of towing)
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:14 PM   #20

BCK,

In doing the math that way with only 2 passes across the scale, will only get you your "Net" tw, not the "Gross" tw. Part of the tw is transferred back to tt axles when the wd bars are hooked up. You need a 3rd pass, with the wd bars unhooked to be able to figure the "gross" actual tw. Just like if you were to place a scale dirctly under the coupler. That is unless you do as Kev suggested. Personally though I am not willing to potentially piss off a trucker by dropping the trailer as their time is money. I won't even take the time to unhook the wd bars to get the 2nd weight with the wd bars unhooked if there are trucks waiting without pulling off the scale and get back in line.

This is only if the steer scale is long enough for the tv, never looked that close to see just how long the steer scale is though- (may not be long enough): if one wants to unhook to get only the tt weight with the tw seperate, you could also get just the truck weight by having the tt axles on the trailer scale, the tongue on the drive axle scale, and the tv on the steer scale. Be worth a try anyway!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote