Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #1

new water heater drain plug won't close

I have a 2012 Jayco JayFeather Ultralite travel trailer with an Atwood water heater that came with a plastic drain valve. I bought a new Camco half inch brass valve but it won't screw in more than 1-2 revolutions then it stops. I don't think the threads are stripped; it's the correct size because the only other valve available was much too small. I bought the new valve at Camping World, but store employees have not returned my call asking for advice. Anyone have any suggestions on getting the new valve in? Thanks!
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:34 PM   #2

Does it stop dead after two turns or just get tighter?

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #3

At first, it stopped dead and wouldn't budge. I just tried it again, and I can get it to turn slightly if I give it all I've got (I'm hand tightening). Thanks.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:07 PM   #4

I think I would stick with the plastic drain plug over the brass one. You are much less likely to strip out the threads on the tank. If that happens there could be some serious damage that may not be repairable.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #5

I can only say that you should compare the thread pitch with the plastic plug. Take a good look at the brass threads and see if there are indications of cross threading.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #6

I would stick with the nylon plug for a few reasons. Dielectric reaction, expansion and damage to aluminum tank (if alum). They put nylon in for a reason..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:27 PM   #7

I looked at the new drain plug and found its first thread has a tiny divot and short length of a rough edge. Is this cross-thread evidence?
Old 04-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K. View Post
I looked at the new drain plug and found its first thread has a tiny divot and short length of a rough edge. Is this cross-thread evidence?
Can you offer a picture? I agree on the plastic/nylon plug use. At least if you crossthread, the nylon takes the hit (gets stripped) and the metal threads on the tank stay intact. It should be a pipe thread, which means it should get progressively tighter as you turn. If you go finger tight and then another 3/4 turn or so with a wrench, you should be good. Maybe a bit more if you see a leak.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #9

It certainly sounds like the thread damage you found is the cause of the issue. Seems like there are 4 options:

1) put a wrench on the valve and hope (not recommended)
2) return the defective valve and get a good one
3) decide not to use a valve and use a nylon plug
4) clean up the defective threads. Probably if you bought a 1/2" steel coupling and carefully screwed the valve into the coupling, the steel would cut the proper threads into the brass of the valve.

Personally, I prefer to use a nylon plug. By the way, use teflon tape if you decide to use the brass valve.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:09 PM   #10

I don't think my camera will be able to photograph the cut in the valve thread because it is so small. I've never liked using the nylon plug because it is so pliable and it's always difficult to turn to get out. On the other hand, I don't want the brass valve to create a bigger problem. Maybe I should try an offset wrench, which could make undoing the plug easier. Thanks so much to everyone who responded. This tells me once again that it's wiser to contact people who know what they're doing before choosing an option that might not be the best after all.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:26 PM   #11

I think that brass is softer than aluminum. If you're lucky, there was only damage to the brass fitting. Take a mirror and a flash light and examine the threads on the tank. I think plumbers cut threads all the time and probably have a tool to clean-up threads if necessary.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K. View Post
I don't think my camera will be able to photograph the cut in the valve thread because it is so small. I've never liked using the nylon plug because it is so pliable and it's always difficult to turn to get out. On the other hand, I don't want the brass valve to create a bigger problem. Maybe I should try an offset wrench, which could make undoing the plug easier. Thanks so much to everyone who responded. This tells me once again that it's wiser to contact people who know what they're doing before choosing an option that might not be the best after all.
I use a basin wrench and have no problem getting it out..works great. And always the nylon plug. 3rd season still on the same plug

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:15 AM   #13

Make sure the pitch of the thread is correct. Not all 1/2" threads are alike. There's a coarse and fine thread. Just throwing that out there.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:38 AM   #14

I recommend staying with the Nylon plug as well. The nylon plug on our Greyhawk lasted 6 years before it started to leak.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:03 AM   #15

I got one of these kits and the little wrench works well.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-11633-W.../dp/B00BMRRZ94
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:21 AM   #16

Agree with the rest. Ditch the brass plug and get the nylon type that came on it. The nylon is used to make sure there is no reaction between dissimilar metals. Of course there may not be any with brass and aluminum.

But the brass will damage the aluminum threads in the water heater if they get cross threaded. Nylon plug will not. Plug may get damaged cross threaded, but replacement is cheap.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:21 PM   #17

thread help

try a #/4 " pipe tap on the threads to clean them out first, the use Teflon ANDa bit of liquid pipe dope to lubricate the threads. "a plumber"
larryrebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:31 PM   #18

Thanks again, everyone, for the help!

Tags
close, drain, valve, water