Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #1

Newbie - 267BHSW

I have been researching and researching RV's and our family likes the floor plan of the 267BHSW Jay Flight SLX.

I am hesitating on the purchase because I am not looking to be upgrading down the road. I want to buy an RV that is going to last for the next 8 years or more if possible.

We are a family of 5 and we are wanting to go see more of the country and an RV seems a great way to get out and do that. We expect to spend more time outside than inside.

Are there other models I should consider?

Thanks
Seanv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #2

There are probably about 30 different models you should be looking at. What’s your tow vehicle? What’s your price range? Other than those, my first question would be are you going to want a bunk room down the road, so that you have beds for 3 kids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:21 PM   #3

2017 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi.

We do not like the bunk room as it separates everyone. We like the ability for everyone to be together but yet still have some extra space. That is what we like about the 267BHS is because kids (all three) could be hanging out on the bunks but still be apart of a conversation.

Budget is fluid but would like it under 20K. Saying that I will pay extra if it is truly worth it.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #4

I would say, if you are sticking with a 1500 truck, you probably won’t go much bigger due to payload capacity.

Are you sure down the road, you won’t want some separation from the kids at times? Are you sure you will want to set up / put away a fold out sofa every day?

What’s more important to you: an outdoor kitchen or a door to the bathroom?

Finally, does the setup allow you to do what you need to do on a daily basis, comfortably? For example, we have a 27BHS. Our main complaint is that, because the shower and the sink area are separated by the bathroom door, your already tiny bathroom area is divided into two even tinier areas. So, when you get out of the shower, you pretty much feel like you are trying to get dressed in a coffin with a toilet under your feet. We are adding a second shower curtain to the wall outside the sink area, so we can close off the whole sink, bath, bunk entry area as one room, to make clothing changes easier when the kids are in the camper, or even just when the windows are open, and the whole world can see what’s going on in the camper.

Try to think of all the little things like that as you walk through as many models as possible. We were fixated on the two year warranty from Jayco, and didn’t really look at anything else. Now that we are out around others with campers, we’ve seen a lot that we like, and wish we would have at least considered during the buying process.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #5

I just looked at your floor plan. If I was in your shoes, I would definitely lean towards the 287BHSW. It has the U shaped dinette, which you will need down the road. It has a ladder to the top bunk, which you will definitely need for the next 3-4 years. And it has the bathroom entry door, which means the bathroom area is bigger. Our outdoor kitchen is nice, and fun to show off, but a bigger bathroom would probably be more useful in the long run.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #6

We are a family of 5 with a Ford Expedition and 26bhsw. The 26ft was the most we could tow and still be within capacities, albeit, right at the limit. We bought it a few weeks ago and have only been out once. We did enjoy the dinette and sofa because we could all eat together and hang out. The open bunks were nice too because as you said, they're still able to be part of the conversation and watch TV from the bunks. We are going to add a curtain on the front side of the bathroom to close it off and create a changing space. We also enjoy the floor space for rainy days and so they can play with their toys.

An outside kitchen would have been nice to have but we would have had to get a jayfeather 25bh to get an outdoor kitchen with the same floor plan as the 26bhsw. We preferred the plywood floors and aluminum siding that the Jay Flight offers.

It's a great floor plan for our young family of 5, especially given the limitations of our tow vehicle. I think you would be happy with it as well. Our youngest is 3 and I hope to keep this one maintained well enough to last through all the kids.
sasiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:50 AM   #7

The 267 is a great floor plan and our family has enjoyed it very much. With the four of us, the dinette works out well (kids are 4 & 2). I could see where the U-Dinette of the 287 would come in handy if we had an extra body.

All of your assumptions for why you like the floor plan are correct. The only items that I wish we had were a separate exterior door to the bathroom (would keep the little feet from tracking things all the way across the floor each time they have to go...which is a lot), and an outdoor kitchen. Not too interested in the cooking aspect of the exterior kitchen, but having a place to wash hands outside is nice. I have installed an aftermarket sink that attaches to the side and I run a second hose for the supply and use a five gallon bucket for the grey waste.

You will want to get a ladder for that top bunk. We actually enjoy the way the bathroom is split in two, one person at the vanity getting ready while another is in the shower.
K2tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:00 PM   #8

We bought the 26bh (jayflight) for the plywood floors and the decent storage.
We have two children.
We wanted something that would sleep all of us comfortably as the kids grow, remain well within the limits of our tow vehicle, and have the fewest number of parts to break that we didn't absolutely need. We also wanted to have an escape pod for future hurricanes (we just survived Harvey in August).
The 26bh seemed best for our needs, considering our budget and the way we travel.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanv1 View Post
I have been researching and researching RV's and our family likes the floor plan of the 267BHSW Jay Flight SLX.

I am hesitating on the purchase because I am not looking to be upgrading down the road. I want to buy an RV that is going to last for the next 8 years or more if possible.

We are a family of 5 and we are wanting to go see more of the country and an RV seems a great way to get out and do that. We expect to spend more time outside than inside.

Are there other models I should consider?

Thanks
You'll want to make sure you don't overload your truck.

Check the yellow payload sticker on your driver's door jamb and see what it says beside "Combined weight of occupants and cargo shall not exceed:______lbs"

For that trailer and a family of 5, you're going to need a payload of 1600+ lbs.

My truck has a payload of 1813lbs and with my family of 5 and our 28BHKS we are just within specs. I only have about 100lbs of payload left over.

We wanted the kitchen slide to give us more counter top space (Island). We find on most models the L-shaped kitchen is not enough counter space.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #10

Seanv1, what is your traveling style? If you share what your travel plans are, we may be able to guide you some.

Are you one that wants to just use it for sleeping, getting dressed, and being gone otherwise?

Are you more legit camping in it? National forests with no connections (dry camping or boondocking), or campgrounds with partial hookups?

RV resorts?

Do you plan to be in it a lot and require a lot of room?

These types of questions make a difference in what you get, as well as budget.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Old 02-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #11

Well we have decided to go with the 267bhs. Lots of good feedback here and I have looked at all the brands in our budget (under 20k) and feel the Jayco is the best fit.

Now to get the deal done with the dealer
Old 02-13-2018, 09:09 PM   #12

That's awesome, Seanv1!

Let us know when you pick it up!! Congratulations!!

Old 02-13-2018, 09:57 PM   #13

Can someone post a picture of how they installed the curtain to block the outside sink from the rest of the trailer. Sounds like a great idea.
oscarp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #14

you will enjoy the 26bhsw. its a great floor plan. we are a family of 5 also 3 girls. they love the bunks as their own space and yes it keeps them with the rest of us as it is not a separate bunkhouse. the split bathroom works well as someone can be showering while others get ready. the 1/2 ton truck will be at capacity you will need to make sure and check your weights carefully. we moved up to a 3/4 ton and the drive is much more comfortable.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #15

I keep hearing we are going to be close or at capacity on our TV. So I wanted to make sure I am understanding this right:

I have a 2017 Ram 1500 with Hemi and the 3.92 Transmission.

Specs per RAM are as follows:
GVWR: 6350
GCWR: 14,325
Max Trailer Weight: 8960

The specs for the Jayco 267BHS are as follows:

UVW: 5600

So being an IT guy I made a excel spreadsheet to do the math and included the following variables:

Cargo Weight in Truck: 500
Passenger Weights : 650
Carrying Water (50% of 39 gallons): 162

That gives me a total Combined Weight: 13259 ish

With a left over balance of 1065 capacity.

So I am good? Or am I missing something?
Old 02-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #16

Payload capacity is going to be the issue. Your truck has a cargo carrying capacity weight limit. It'll be on a door sticker. This is the weight of all passengers, 'stuff' and the tongue weight of the camper. I believe it's understood that the payload capacity already figures in a 150lb driver and full tank of fuel. I wouldn't count water weight unless you dry camp. Most carry a few gallons for washing hands or whatever at a stop but no sense in carrying more than that if you are traveling to a campground with water hookup.
sasiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #17

Happy 267BHSW owners here

We bought our 267 a year ago and have 6 trips under our belt. I towed it with a 1500 HEMI, but it wasn't too solid. I upgraded to a 2500 6.4 Hemi and it tows with aplomb.
We really like our 267. We are in Grandparent mode so spme camping is just us, sometimes 2-3 grandkids and sometimes just me and maybe a friend.
The floorplan meets our needs well. We bought it at an RV show and walked through hundreds of trailers over a 4 day period, but kept coming back to the 267.
We are looking forward to the start of camping season this year
deewaltguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:02 AM   #18

Newbie - 267BHSW

Your payload capacity will be around 1600 lb. (look at the yellow sticker for the exact number). You have to subtract the weight of your family, the weight of gear you carry in the truck, and the tongue weight of your fully loaded trailer. And don’t forget that kids get bigger each year. So your equation needs to be: Cargo Capacity - total weight of family - total weight of every item added to the truck since you bought it - 13% of fully loaded trailer weight.

Unless you pack very light, I think you’ll be at or over your capacity. Not saying you can’t tow it, but that’s why you’ll see plenty of comments on how much better the towing experience is with a 2500.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat77 View Post
Unless you pack very light, I think you’ll be at or over your capacity. Not saying you can’t tow it, but that’s why you’ll see plenty of comments on how much better the towing experience is with a 2500.

This is exactly the situation we found ourselves in. The 5.7 Hemi towed the trailer just fine, so we didn't need more motor, but more truck.
The first few trips out were with the 1500 and there was some shimmy in the front end (even with a dialed in WDH) and a few other unnerving incidents. I didn't want to upgrade to the 2500, as I really liked the 1500, but after doing so, the 2500 is a clear choice to tow it safely.
deewaltguy is offline   Reply With Quote