Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2022, 10:07 AM   #1

Exclamation (Newbie Alert) Considering White Hawk 27RB

Howdy All!

My wife and I are completely new to the world of RV-ing, and are considering a White Hawk 27RB. It's just the two of us and our adult and soon to be adult sons. Most of the time it will be just us (and maybe our three dogs).

My questions are:

What should I be aware of before purchasing a White Hawk? Do they have any common issues I need to know about?

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on the Blue Ox lines of weight distribution hitches?

Last, what's the ONE thing I should know before getting into RV-ing?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
IronCannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:40 AM   #2

I don't know the whitehawk line. But all RVs are about the same.

They are all hand built, so do not expect car built quality. They all have issues. Some more than others. They all need a lot of on going maintenance. They experience a rolling earthquake everytime you tow them.

Biggest thing I would look at, is the dealership's service department reputation. They tend to put campers that were not purchased from them, at the bottom of the list.

Good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCannibal View Post
?..Last, what's the ONE thing I should know before getting into RV-ing?…
Jagiven makes excellent points, especially about the dealer. You’ll find many posts from folks who spurned their local dealer to save some money buying from a dealer hundreds of miles away. Then they are upset because the local dealer won’t do their warranty work or makes them wait months. Weigh that “cost” against what you’re saving.

The ONE thing? If you’ve followed this forum you’ll see many posts asking if they can tow “Trailer X” with “Tow Vehicle Y.” Often it’s a recipe for danger and sometimes it’s laughable. Do your research on things like payload, towing capacity and such and what you can tow if you already have a truck. Or what you should get if you don’t. There are scads of posts here with links to more good info. Don’t trust your RV salesman to tell you — they often are clueless.

Good luck!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 11:32 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I don't know the whitehawk line. ...!!!!!!

Biggest thing I would look at, is the dealership's service department reputation.
X2...Don't ask the salesperson either, go on Yelp or key up the dealership name. Keep in mind too there is an entire industry now built around providing businesses with fake reviews to push the bad reviews to the back. Keep in mind also, many dealerships are strapped for service tech's, what was a profitable operation for the dealership in the past, their service dept., is now for some a burden. So, as was pointed out, if you undercut them by buying elsewhere, they're liable to undercut you by telling you we only service what we sell and who could blame them?
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 12:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
So, as was pointed out, if you undercut them by buying elsewhere, they're liable to undercut you by telling you we only service what we sell and who could blame them?
I don't blame the local dealers at all. Our local dealer is booked solid and has been since last fall. I don't know all of the reasons, but I do know they are have a hard time finding service techs, or even someone who wants to learn.

Anyway, my local dealer will try and match or come close to a quote you have in writing from another dealer. Doesn't always work, but it's nice being put more towards the front of the line when buying local. After all, the dealers bread and butter is in new sales, it's not coming from the service dept.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:12 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
I don't blame the local dealers at all. Our local dealer is booked solid and has been since last fall. I don't know all of the reasons, but I do know they are have a hard time finding service techs, or even someone who wants to learn.

Anyway, my local dealer will try and match or come close to a quote you have in writing from another dealer. Doesn't always work, but it's nice being put more towards the front of the line when buying local. After all, the dealers bread and butter is in new sales, it's not coming from the service dept.
It's the new economy, we're at what is considered near full employment and it's an employees market. They're paying high school kids $17.00 an hour to fold shirts at the mall here in Plano. $15.00 an hour to gather shopping carts in the Sam's Clubs parking lot. A skilled tech is going to go to the highest bidder and one who can provide them with decent benefits, paid time off, vacation, etc. If you won't there's someone right up the street who will.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:47 PM   #7

You started with a pretty big unit. Not saying it can't be done but the more mechanicals you have the more chance of something breaking. If you are handy this ought not to be much of an issue. I get that you have a number of bodies to house.

Pick your early campsites with room in mind. Our favorite campgrounds would not be good candidates as trees are everywhere.. It IS possible to park a 50 foot motorhome but I wager its not their first rodeo.

Because you probably will benefit from a good service department pick the best department you can find in a reasonable radius from you. Its no shame to snoop and ask campers from your state who their dealer is and how is the service.

You are really buying a service department. An attentive service department is worth its weight in gold. Ask them about their repair policy. We snapped the jack off a week ago Fri, took it in Sat and it was fixed Monday. Yes we get a little bump as we are long time customers and their department can only fix so many units at once( I think it is two). They would fix units purchased elsewhere when they have time ( meaning November I would guess). We were quite happy as we have much camping coming up in July.

Just go slow, don't be too ambitious and if you are stuck in a campground with an issue ask other campers.. We could not get the electric to work in a serviced campground and when we asked neighbors, we found we had 5 guys all pondering the problem. Don't be embarrassed. ( the circuit breaker in the campground supply was faulty in our case.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:43 AM   #8

Stay away from camping world.