Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #1

Newbie and need some advice.

Looking to buy my first TT and need help deciding. Maybe you guys can help a bit. It's good to have options but the more you have the more confusing it gets.

1)I have the opportunity to purchase a really clean 2016 Jay flight 26bh that I saw yesterday. Out the door price is 16k with brake controller, anti sway wd hitch installed, new battery, full propane, and full prep. The good part is it's located about 65 miles away. I really wanted the elite package and this one does not have it. I particularly like the skylight In kitchen and bigger water tank. This one doesn't even have the rear ladder that is obviously useful for many reasons. Can that be added easily? The sales guy was great, honest and not pushy. That's a huge plus these days.

2)I see a 26bh In TX that looks even cleaner, has the dark brown interior that we prefer and the ladder. It's also 1k cheaper out the door but is located over 1000 miles away and I'm not sure how I feel about making my 1st trip that big of one without any prior experience under my belt. I could also ask them to camp out in their lot the first day and test everything before slowly making my way back to the NJ area.

3) 2016 fiberglass 26bh listed at 17k ( I have not called to negotiate a price) with our preferred brown interior located in the sunny state of Florida where we own a home about 20 minutes away. We were planning on driving down in June after making 1-2 local test runs so we wouldn't have the pleasure of doing that. However was thinking we could camp out locally down there a couple times before the long voyage home. Like the fiberglass look But worried a bit about delaminaton esp since it's been sitting in FL for the past two years.

4) I didn't want to buy new for my 1st TT but see a brand new 2017 26bh located 100k miles away. Wow!! New stainless steel appliances,elite package, extra skylight and larger water tank. Asking is $17800. After taxes, destination etc.. will be closer to 20k if they are not flex on the price taking us out of our intended price range of 15-17500.

5) keep waiting to find a 2016 elite near me
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Rear ladder is not a big deal. You can add it later. I had one installed, but not overly impressed. I will probably still get a telescoping ladder to access roof.
I would get a quote from RVOne on the unit you like the best #4. Then see how that compares with your budget. Negotiate to ~30-~35% below MSRP. Maybe you can get that one.

Cheers,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:21 AM   #3

We switched to the elite package last minute and have been very glad we did (for our particular situation):
1. The skylight is efficient and saves using power, I really like this upgrade.
2. My wife would never go back to a smaller water tank. But we have yet to use hook ups, so it's been a huge benefit for dry camping.
3. The black water tank washout is nice and handy. You can keep that black water tank so fresh and so clean clean 🙂
4. The ladder is handy, but not a total crucial add on.
5. Not totally sure how much the suspension add on helps, but I'll take it.
6. Porcelain toilet= check, I'll take it, easy to keep clean.
We're happy with the upgrades. Hope this helps. Best of luck and happy camping!
FamilyMtnCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyMtnCamper View Post
We switched to the elite package last minute and have been very glad we did (for our particular situation):
1. The skylight is efficient and saves using power, I really like this upgrade.
2. My wife would never go back to a smaller water tank. But we have yet to use hook ups, so it's been a huge benefit for dry camping.
3. The black water tank washout is nice and handy. You can keep that black water tank so fresh and so clean clean ��
4. The ladder is handy, but not a total crucial add on.
5. Not totally sure how much the suspension add on helps, but I'll take it.
6. Porcelain toilet= check, I'll take it, easy to keep clean.
We're happy with the upgrades. Hope this helps. Best of luck and happy camping!

Thanks for the post. I thought I had tracked an elite down yesterday about 3 hrs away but it ended up being a regular bs. But they gave me an out the door price of 15k and it looks like it was never even camped in. But still holding out for a 2016 elite. I sent an offer out for 15500 on a "17elite with the extra skylight but doubt they will accept it. Fingers crossed. Love the new stainless appliances in the "17s but most dealers are not ordering them with the the skylight that I have seen online. No idea why. I would think it's a great selling point esp when it's like a 75$ option.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote