Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #1

Newbie Equipment Question

Hi all! I've read through pages and pages of the site and its great! Thank you!

Quick question on the starter kit I'll be receiving,
New RV Water Hose
RV Electrical Adapter
RV Toilet Chemical
New RV Sewer Hose

Being this is my first camper and first time camping with a travel trailer I'm wondering what I should upgrade out of the box...

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #2

Everything except for the toilet chemical. The Water Hose they gave us was pretty short. The Sewer hose was flimsy. I can't say anything about the Electrical Adapter because we did not receive one.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #3

Congrats on the new camper and welcome to the forum!

For sure the sewer hose - look at something like a Camco Rhinoflex 15'. I'd also add a clear 45 degree adapter as well so that you can see when the water is running clear from tanks.

I don't like the stubby electrical adapters like the one in that was in our kit - they have a tendency to heat up under heavier loads. Camco makes a good dog-bone style as well. I would also recommend investing in an electrical management system (EMS) such as progressive industries PTC30 or PTC50 depending on your amp rating. The EMS will protect your unit from a variety of undesirable electrical conditions and are well worth the $$.

We kept the white potable water hose but added another one as sometimes you have a longer run to the water faucet. Get a separate green hose to use for tank flushing only.

Never used the toilet chemicals - you'll find lots of discussion around those as well as RV TP vs Non-RV TP.

Good luck and happy camping!
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #4

Agree with ttavasc...We bought our first last year and the sewer hose is horrible! I purchased the RhinoFlex hose it is a lot better. The electrical adapter works fine for what i use it for.

Happy Camping!
Jachwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #5

Upgrade all of the above except the toilet chemicals. We usually just buy what's on sale for that.

Everyone else covered what to buy, I have nothing to add to their comments.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #6

Thanks everyone! I've got my list and will be ready to go!
Old 07-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #7

Congratulations on the new TT!
Be sure the water hose also includes a pressure regulator, or purchase one separately. Many CG water systems develop enough pressure to turn your pex water system on the inside of your TT into a sprinkler system. Also a decent water filter is a good idea.
Everyone here says get a clear "45 degree"; note that these also come in straight as well. Our outlet is pretty close to the ground making pointing it down impossible, and putting a 45 on pointing sideways would just restrict flow. Straight may be the way to go for you too.
Other essentials (IMO) they won't provide:
heavy duty extension cord of the proper amperage rating for your TT
levelling blocks - anything from homemade wood ramps to "Lego bricks" to Andersen levellers will work
Outdoor mat/rug to keep the area in front of the door clean and at least some of the dirt out of the trailer.

Last tip - EVERYTHING is cheaper on Amazon or at Wal-Mart than from the stealership or Camping World.

Happy camping!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #8

Thanks again, the clear 45 deal is the first thing I bought when I was reading up on everything.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #9

I put a black tank washer on mine. Much less gross when it is new
ArvdaJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #10

Welcome aboard and congrats on new Jayco, I agree with all the others.
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #11

I would recommend:

Sewer Solution instead of the "stinky slinky" sewer hose

Odor-los toilet chemical

Andersen Levelers instead of the level blocks

Progressive Industries EMS power management/surge protector

At least a 25' water hose - and a quick connect fitting

Electrical extension cord as others have mentioned
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:41 PM   #12

Congratulations, and welcome to the website. You'll get a feel for what you want to do to customize and make things easier as you go along. I'd second a few things which have already been mentioned, like a surge protector for your electricals, a decent quality water hose, and a good quality sewer hose setup. Add a visible connector fitting to that sewer hose, so you can see when the water is running clear. Also, you will want a second water hose, because the water you use at a dump station is often reclaimed, and you never want that running through your fresh water hose. Label them with a permanent marker. Don't ask me how I learned that.

I would add that you should have a water pressure regulator. I use a simple camco one made of brass. Just in case you get some water hammer in the campground, you don't want that affecting your piping inside your unit. And long rubber gloves for the sewer dump process, just because you may run into a leak here or there you have to fix quick, when the couplings are not necessarily fitting tight at first. Especially when you're a newb, it can happen. Get a small bubble level you can set on the floor when leveling your unit. And a large Home Depot style 5 gal bucket doesn't hurt for just about a dozen different uses. I used mine to carry the fittings and couplings for the sewer hose, and I'd toss my gloves in there when I was finished. Now, I still use the gloves, but I just toss them into the floor of the sanitary bay on the motorhome.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #13

Wow, how did I forget a water pressure regulator???

I second the bubble level and the bucket - our bucket's primary duty is as the under-sink trash can.
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:03 PM   #14

Still a bit new at this but things I have learned the hard way on just a few trips out or from reading many many posts here. I've purchased many of the items in others posts here as well.

- extra sewer hose. Twice I've needed just a few feet more and had to move the trailer. Last time I could not move it enough and made a trip back to the local Wal Mart and bought another hose set. I now travel with 2 complete sets, the second one can be split into 2 sections.

- shop at Wal Mart. Most have a good selection and decent prices

- 90 degree connector for your water hose connection to the trailer. Keeps it from putting stress on the connection by sticking out and pulling down.

- outdoor carpet/rug for just outside your doors. I found one at Lowe's that is green, 8x8 and very very light, washable and helps keep some of the dirt from being tracked in. Makes a good "patio" area for just outside your door and covers the rocks, bugs, dirt under your lawn chairs.

- screen bug/wasp covers for your outside vents for furnace, frig and water heater. Wasps will go after them and build nests up inside. We have lots around our area so one of the first things I put on.

- 50Amp adapter. Mine uses a 30Amp service but have been warned that sometimes the 30Amp may be damaged or not working.

- water filter and as others have said, keep your fresh water hose away from the other hoses and screw the ends together when storing.

- leveling blocks. I bought a set but don't have enough experience to know good ones from bad ones.

- cordless drill for putting your stabilizing jacks up and down. Saves time, especially if it's hot and the bugs are fierce and it's late, etc... Will need to rig up a metal shaft with socket on the end. Not hard to do.

- 90 degree broom with extending handle to brush off the top of your slide out, if you have one. Lots of stuff can accumulate on top of it in just a few days under the trees.

- collapsing ladder or light ladder to get on roof, reach top of slide out to sweep it off. Mine does not have a ladder built onto it, yours may have one.

- I just bought a tongue weight scale. Not a cheap item but seems a handy thing to have. Used it for the first time today to verify my tongue weight.

- tire ramp for changing flat on trailers with tandem axles. Can't recall the name of it but it's a ramp that allows you to pull the trailer up on it to lift the flat tire off the ground. Folks I've talked to say it is a lifesaver and much better than trying to jack up one side of the trailer to change a flat. Not sure if yours is a single or tandem axle trailer.

- i purchased a trailer valet for moving my trailer by hand. It's an expensive item but I needed it to maneuver my trailer in my drive.

That's my short list of add on items so far.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:27 PM   #15

I'll add my vote for the RhinoFlex hose. Just go get it now and throw the other one away. Or at least set it off to the side. Don't bother using it. It'll develop a leak after not too many uses and you'll be stuck buying one for a lot more than Amazon will charge.

Might as well pick up a Sidewinder sewer hose support while you are at it. Some states require them if you are going to stay hooked up at a campground.

I'll also second the EMS to protect your electrical system and in particular your A/C compressor. It's protected my trailer several times already.

I also like having a small nightlight/AC voltage meter. Gives me a good way to see if the power is on and how things are doing while also providing light for the short 2am trip to the restroom.
TrailerScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #16
Site Team

And a set of four wheel chocks, if you don't have them already. (Chunks of firewood don't always work!)

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #17

Great Info, thanks again!
Old 07-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #18

Jbrusie, check your lug wrench and make sure it fits the trailers tires. I found that the one for my TV did not fit my TT.
FLASHY35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #19

I had the same problem with my lug wrench. I ended up packing a deep well socket and a breaker bar just for the trailer lugs.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:36 PM   #20

Got it home!