Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #21

As a newbie at this, you should think about taking a deep breath and calming down.
These are not major problems and can very simply be worked out to your own satisfaction with a bit of trial and error. Try some of the suggestions here. See what works for you. Then continue to do what works best for you. Not being perfectly level is not a disaster. As others have said, just get the frig as level as you can and you will be fine.

Remember you are camping. It isn't supposed to be perfect. It is supposed to be relaxing. If you are truly new at this, you will find that there are many other things that aren't necessarily within your control that have the potential to bug the heck out of you. Drunk neighbors, loud generators, barking dogs, dogs pooping in your campsite, black flies, mosquitoes, RV parts breaking unexpectedly.

You can let all of this bother you and make you fed up and go Ugggggggggggggggg. You can choose to let these dictate having an unpleasant camping experience, or you can let much of it roll off your back and find a way to enjoy your camping experience. Fight the battles that you decide truly need fighting and let most of them just pass. The choice is yours to make.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:27 PM   #22

I think the previous posters have pretty much covered the topic.

I like to have the front of the trailer a little bit high so that rain and condensation from the a/c runs off the back of the trailer instead of dripping on me when I am going into the front storage compartment. Also the curbside should be a little higher if you would like the water to run off on the streetside of the trailer.

I also use different lengths of 4 x 4's under my stab jacks. The more a sissor jack is extended the more motion it is subject to. The added benefit is that you don't have to crank them down very far.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:42 PM   #23

I'm kind of a Newbie myself. In my opinion, all of the information given in the replies is very good. I use 2'X6' (beveled on each end) under the tires and 2"X4" stacked under the stabilizer jacks...I don't like them fully extended.
All that being said. I think the best advice came from Dewey....relax..things happen make it part of the adventure.
A suggestion I would make on the stabilizer jacks. If you don't have one , they make a socket that goes on the end of a battery operated drill....best invention ever.
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:28 PM   #24

I carry Lynx levelling blocks for both wheels on the low side to level side to side, chock the wheels on both sides, level front to back with the tongue Jack, lower all the stabilizers on to levelling blocks and just enough to raise up about a 1/2" after contact. Works for me
Old 01-29-2015, 08:33 AM   #25

You can purchase a leveling block from most RV suppliers for side to side. It is very heavy plastic w/3 levels. You back up onto it (on the low side), 1 level at a time, until your camper is near level side to side (I use a level on the rear bumper). Then I level front to rear w/the jack and then lower the stabilizer jacks (I bought plastic pads made for them). It works good for me.
Rocket15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
It's camping.. close is good enough...heck after a few days it won't be level anyway.
NO WAY!!!! This is where I have a little OCD. I will spend an hour to level the camper if I have too... Front to back, side to side, it MUST be level. farther more, it better be placed perfactly on the site. If its a pad of some sort, it will be perfactly parallel to the edges, if just an open space, where ever it looks best on the site, awning/door always facing away from the road...
I have been known to level other peoples campers if they are staying in our group. Had an uncle who just parked the camper and called it good. I get there and get ours all set up, and told him I was going to hook theirs back up and get it level for him.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaperrooter View Post
2010 Eagle 318RLS: Uggggggggggg!!!! My eyes grow weary of reading so many articles on how to properly set up the travel trailer. I don't know who to believe anymore. I don't know what to believe anymore. Even videos contradict each other.
Good information vs Bad information

It is interesting to observe the responses to issues with the various RV systems. Be it refrigeration, propane, electrical, plumbing, entertainment or towing systems.

So many of these spark differing opinions and even controversy. The ones that are of most concern are those where the information is based on what the responder has heard somewhere rather than based on actual experience or facts and a solid understanding of the system in question.

Then, to add to the confusion, a thread with a large number of responses will contain both accurate and incorrect information. How can the originator of the thread know what to believe?

To those making a response based on a good understanding of the system involved it does get frustrating, sometimes to the point of being argumentative, when his information is refuted by someone who is passing along bad information due to a limited understanding of the system.

Don't misunderstand. I have no doubt everyone who offers advice does so with a sincere belief they are providing accurate information.

If only there were some way to identify members who are really knowledgeable on a particular RV system. I have no idea how something like that could be implemented. To long time members it probably becomes apparent after a while who the most knowledgeable members are in specific areas. But that isn't much help to the guy who just bought his first RV and joined the site.

As one of our members, RVhiker, uses in his signature: "There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct." Determining what is and what is not can be daunting task for the newbie.

There is no solution to this dilemma. It is only an observation.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
NO WAY!!!! This is where I have a little OCD.
A little? That's like saying, Monk has a little OCD. Hope you know I'm kidding. Do it any way you like.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:18 PM   #29

one thing I would add for sure is I use between the wheel chocks that tighten between the wheels to make sure the wheels don't move when it comes off the ball... if not for the safety chains I would have lost mine down the hill one time when it rolled off the leveling blocks. better safe than sorry. I also liked the guys idea of putting the vehicle in neutral after the wheels are chocked to relieve the pressure on the ball, something I will do in the future
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:58 PM   #30

how do you chock the wheels on the lynx leveler ? , Well, do you have to if you chock the other side of the trailer ?

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:40 AM   #31

use something like x chocks that go between the wheels and lock them by opposing force I would definitely chock both sides so it doesn't swing on you when you take it off the ball and it also helps restrict movement
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:45 AM   #32

Paintinfool3 , thanks for the idea but I dont thing the Xchocks open large enough to accomodate the wide track set up on the Whitehawk.....I could see that Lynx have some chock that can be use with the leveler...something that Ill have to look into
anyway thanks for the suggestion

Old 01-30-2015, 09:31 AM   #33

After all these posts - TMI (too much info) renting space in your brain? Best to evict it so you can lease-out that space to more pleasant thoughts! So as the DW, I watched DH do his stuff then created simple checklists (set-up, take-down, storage in/out, how to use stuff, etc.) that now reside page-protected within a sturdy/small folder resting peacefully in an easy-to-grab spot to remind whomever is using the rig. End result? Angst gone and when the mind is muddled, a great reminder that comes across much better than nagging.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:34 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Paintinfool3 , thanks for the idea but I dont thing the Xchocks open large enough to accomodate the wide track set up on the Whitehawk.....I could see that Lynx have some chock that can be use with the leveler...something that Ill have to look into
anyway thanks for the suggestion
For the White Hawk, get the extended fit X-chocks; they work just fine for us.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #35

I'll look at it Hattie thanks

Old 01-30-2015, 04:11 PM   #36
Lost in the Woods

Wow! I didn't realize that RVing was so complicated! When the DW and I bought our first TT we just figured it out as we went along. I don't even remember even reading a manual because there wasn't any. The dealer walked us through the RV store and pointed out about 6 - 7 things we needed to get started and bang, we were in business! All the other stuff we needed we figured out later. I try and keep things simple... but always evolving better ways to do something. I have learned a lot from this forum as I went along, not all at once. Which is my point. Just point it in the right direction and shove off. Everything else will fall into place and not be sooooo frustrating. Rving is supposed to be FUN!
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
It's camping.. close is good enough...heck after a few days it won't be level anyway. And at this point in my life, if the trailer rocks a little i just say thanks, I can use the help Besides, not sure if it's the trailer rocking or me rockin as I walk. And, i try to spend as little time inside anyway....
I like WAGS approach.

If "leveling" is a big issue for us "campers", we sure have it good on the road.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:18 PM   #38
Site Team

There are many ways to do the mundane but necessary tasks needed to enjoy camping. The ones that work for you and get the jobs done for you are the easiest. Once you have a plan you can improve on it with experience.
Common sense will carry you a long way.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #39

Tons of first tme RVers experience this same thing. Unfortunately tons of them park the RV and there it sits and rots away. I see thousands in storage lots with flat tires etc. They financed them and are under water to much to sell...then it's just becomes a habit to make the monthly payment.
I hope you don't get to fed up and walk away. It's a blast learning as when you figure it out...well...I did it... Camping is worth the extra effort.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:17 PM   #40

I lift the tongue a tad off level. After two continuous days of rain here in the Valley, water is pouring off the roof via the "gutter" as intended. And we're level enough that the doors stay where we leave them.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote