Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2017, 10:53 PM   #1

newbie help needed!

Hey there Jaycos! We just got a Jaycee Jayflight 185RB Baja Travel Trailer. When we got it in September it was already a month away from Canada winter starting so we got them to winterize it before we drove away. They did a very thorough job teaching us EVERYTHING for like 1 hour before we left. Do you think 100% of that info stayed in our heads after that? After not using it until now (February) No! Not even 30% stayed.
We seriously have NO clue and after reading a billion blogs on RV's online, it seems like the world only blogs about de winterizing and filling tanks and all aspects on plumping if they have a forth wheel or a diesel pusher. This travel trailer is pretty basic I'd say after reading so much. Every time I read something I'm like "ummm we don't have that". The Manila we got is the same. It'll say "if you have XYZ, then do this". Can't tell what we have if we know nothing. So frustrated with de wintetizing and whether we can feel good about cooking with the fresh water tank water. We don't even know if we have to turn the water pump off and IF we hook up to city water. Please help STEP BY STEP de winterise this bloody thing. Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5521.JPG  
theroofshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:33 AM   #2

Don't feel bad! I am in the exact same boat. I am learning too.

2017 Hummingbird 17RK (Sold)
2017 Jay Feather 23RSLW Sold)
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (Sold)
2017 Chev Silverado 3500HD Duramax
87Yugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:26 AM   #3

You won't need to use your water pump when hooked up to city water. One obstacle down!

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:26 AM   #4

Hey cool fellow Canadian! Hi! We are up in Lillooet. Exciting to have a new RV and truck but scary too right? Like you spend all the money and don't want to make a mistake. Lol
Old 02-15-2017, 01:28 AM   #5

We do know this part but does it need to manually be shut off and on as we hook to the city water? Or does it "know" not to turn on? Like how the heck does city water by pass the pump? Or the fresh water tank for that matter! I just want to rip the walls off and get a look at this girl naked. Ha ha ha
Old 02-15-2017, 01:43 AM   #6

Nope, just leave the switch in the off position. It's only used to pump water from your fresh water tank. The pressure of the city water will run water through your lines to the faucets

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroofshack View Post
We do know this part but does it need to manually be shut off and on as we hook to the city water? Or does it "know" not to turn on? Like how the heck does city water by pass the pump? Or the fresh water tank for that matter! I just want to rip the walls off and get a look at this girl naked. Ha ha ha
The city water Ts in after the pump. There is a one way valve on the city line so your water being pumped from the tank does not just flow out the city hookup. You should not have the pump on while hooked to city but in reality if you did you wouldnt damage any thing. The pump is on demand and is operated off a pressure switch. The city would be supplying the pressure so the pump should never kick on. There may be some liability reason to not leave it on such as in case of one way valve failure and low city pressure you could back feed "contaminate" the city water supply with your tank water.

As for the de-winterizing i dont do anything complicated. I fill my water tank , turn on the pump, open all the cold water and hot water faucets and flush the toilet a few times. I run the whole tank through. Then open the low point drains to make sure there isnt any pink winterizer left in the bottom of them. Next i change my hot water bypass valves so the hot water can fill and repeat the process. When you are finished. If the water tastes sweet you still have winterizer residue in the line so run another tank of water through the lines. Any other flavor or smell and it is probably from bacteria or whatever in your tank. In that case i treat with bleach.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
MizInIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:09 AM   #8

NukeNeck has you covered on the water connection. No need to turn on the pump when connected to city water. Great looking camper. Ask all the questions you can here and enjoy the unit. There can be a lot of details, but it gets easier.

In regards to dewinterizing, I drain the lines, then fill the fresh water tanks, adding about half to 3/4 cup of bleach to the tank (the fresh water tank on mine is 42 gallons). I don't get picky about the beach, but a 1/4 cup for every 15 gallons is about right. I let it sit for a night or two, then run water through the faucets for a few minutes, so it removes any residual RV antifreeze. Then I drain the tanks and refill the fresh water tank, run water through the system again tonight flush it out. I may do this once more, but usually I just make sure the tank is drained.

Sent via mobile - Chris
lightcs1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:25 AM   #9
Site Team

If you intend to drink out of the system you should sanitize with bleach as described above even if you do not plan on using the tank. The lines and hot water heater need sanitizing as well as the tank. 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallons and let it soak for several hours before flushing.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:32 PM   #10

One additional suggestion - Do not reset the Hot Water Heater valves back from bypass to operational until after flushing all the antifreeze from the lines. Once valves are reset to operational with lines under pressure be sure to use the bleed valve on the Hot Water Heater until a little water comes out to be sure it is full before turning on the heating element.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
185rb, baja, plumbing, pump, water