Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2020, 08:46 PM   #1

Newbie here now has a generator question

With our very first trailer, a small Jayco 18-foot Jay Flight, Lucy and I plan to do a lot of dry camping so we think we may need a generator (for A/C at least). I found one, a Champion 2000-watt inverter with USB I can get for $400 from Camping World. But checking past posts on this website, I've seen recommendations for generators such as a Firman 3650/3300 inverter for pennies short of a grand. Do we need that much horsepower? Or would the little 2000-watt'r take care of our needs? Honestly, I feel stupid about asking this, but we are absolute newbies to this RV lifestyle. Thanks for your advice.
mhknorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:53 PM   #2

In my experience a 2000 watt generator will not run A/C. It will charge batteries and you can plug in a phone charger, watch TV (if you have one), etc. You will NEED the 3500 watt "horsepower" to run A/C. I recommend getting the bigger one if you can swing it. I had a 2000 watt Honda, which worked like butter, but just not what I really wanted as it will not run A/C. I sold it and bought the Champion 3500 inverter.
Kinger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:52 PM   #3

Generating

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhknorr View Post
With our very first trailer, a small Jayco 18-foot Jay Flight, Lucy and I plan to do a lot of dry camping so we think we may need a generator (for A/C at least). I found one, a Champion 2000-watt inverter with USB I can get for $400 from Camping World. But checking past posts on this website, I've seen recommendations for generators such as a Firman 3650/3300 inverter for pennies short of a grand. Do we need that much horsepower? Or would the little 2000-watt'r take care of our needs? Honestly, I feel stupid about asking this, but we are absolute newbies to this RV lifestyle. Thanks for your advice.
Do you have a wall or roof a/c? If you have a roof a/c, a 'soft start' will fix it, a 2000 watt generator will work fine. If you have a through wall (window) unit, it will work fine without a 'soft start'. Using microwave will load a 2000 watt generator. I had a Champion 4000 generator that made about 500 hrs, and blew up...literally, after I switched it from a Jayflight 185RB to a FR Salem 124QBXL, and a 13,5 rooftop a/c. Had a Briggs 3500 RV generator that worked fine for over 1,000 hrs and sold it last spring for $350 to help finance a quieter 4500 Briggs inverter. Still have a Generac RS5500 that has about 600 hrs on it and have used it for house backup. You will pay for quiet. The Generac and the Briggs 3500 were not. Neither was the Champion...but they made power.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote