Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #1

Newbie Hitch Question

We ordered our new 27RLS today. This will be our first towable RV, so not real sure on the hitch issue. Tow vehicle is a 2010 Ram 2500 and possibly on rare occasion a 2011 Expedition EL with tow package/air bags. Trailer UVW is 6030 and GVWR is 8600. I am looking at used weight distributing hitches. Is it ok to get one heavier than I need? There is one for sale locally that is rated to 12,000 lbs. It is the Equalizer brand and says 4 point sway.
Attached Thumbnails
hitch.jpg  
FLGatorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #2

They should be fine. Tongue weight should be about 15% of trailer weight so even with your unloaded weight of 6030 lbs your looking at about 945 tongue weight. If you have even 1000 lbs of gear bringing trailer weight to 7030 lbs, your tongue weight would be around 1054 lbs. So 1200 lbs bars would be a good fit. This is my understanding.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:39 PM   #3

I agree 1200/12000 would be a good fit.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
Site Team

Yep I agree with the others. That would be a great hitch for your new TT.
I have heard nothing but good things about that hitch.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #5

Thanks everyone! I will go grab it up before someone else does.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #6

Ok, need more help. Just called the guy who has it. He is asking $230. He bought it used and ended up not buying a toy hauler. Says there is a "lever" that prys the bars that is missing but not needed?
Old 11-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGatorgirl View Post
Ok, need more help. Just called the guy who has it. He is asking $230. He bought it used and ended up not buying a toy hauler. Says there is a "lever" that prys the bars that is missing but not needed?
Depends on how much you're loading up the bars as to whether you need the lever tool. I need mine and MIGHT be able to hook up without it depending on the angle, but my bars are maxed out.

$230 isn't a bad price for that hitch IMO if it truly is "lightly used", and if you need to, you can pick up another lever bar:

http://www.amazon.com/Lindon-Hitch-E...itch+lever+bar

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #8

Thank you. Based on the photos, it does not look beat up, but then again not really sure what to look for!
Old 11-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Thank you. Based on the photos, it does not look beat up, but then again not really sure what to look for!
I don't know for sure, but I would think it would be pretty hard to "beat up" a hitch. I guess if it were significantly overloaded during use for a long time, that could be a concern. But I don't see any rust on it, and from the pictures, it looks to be in good shape.

I would check out all the nuts and bolts to be sure they're not stripped out or anything. But even that wouldn't be a deal breaker; I would just ask him to knock some $$ off the price and go buy new nuts and bolts, no biggie...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 11-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #10

I never use the tool with mine. But I added booster springs to my truck (timbrens) and this allows me to setup my hitch without the need to raise the truck to the moon to get the bars on. The less your TV drops on hookup the less you need to depend on the bars to pick it back up. 1200lb bars set up on max will transfer to much weight to the front end on any trailer I have ever seen.
So think about it this way. Use the bars to transfer the weight you want transfered and use springs in the truck to hold up the camper. Do this and you don't need a tool.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #11

I've got the same hitch and never used the bar.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #12

Buy it, that's a great price on a equalizer. I bought a new one and that price is great...
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #13

Thanks again. I am planning to go pick it up tomorrow.

I would also like to say that I am really grateful there is such an active Jayco forum. Our last RV was a Monaco DP and having an active group of forum members was not only helpful, but saved us a lot of money in fixes we were able to do ourselves with forum advice. Glad to be here and looking forward to our new trailer .
Old 11-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #14

Quote:
We ordered our new 27RLS today. This will be our first towable RV, so not real sure on the hitch issue. Tow vehicle is a 2010 Ram 2500 and possibly on rare occasion a 2011 Expedition EL with tow package/air bags. Trailer UVW is 6030 and GVWR is 8600. I am looking at used weight distributing hitches. Is it ok to get one heavier than I need? There is one for sale locally that is rated to 12,000 lbs. It is the Equalizer brand and says 4 point sway.
Looks like the older style L brackets in the picture. I am not really sure if that matters to you or not? If it were me, I would probably call Eqaulizer's tech help line and get the history of why they changed them. Maybe someone else on here could help with that question also?
Old 01-26-2015, 12:59 PM   #15

Price is a good price for Equalizer. I just ordered one (12000) and cost me $538. Should get here next week (I hope).
Sawdust&Woodchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I don't know for sure, but I would think it would be pretty hard to "beat up" a hitch. I guess if it were significantly overloaded during use for a long time, that could be a concern. But I don't see any rust on it, and from the pictures, it looks to be in good shape.

I would check out all the nuts and bolts to be sure they're not stripped out or anything. But even that wouldn't be a deal breaker; I would just ask him to knock some $$ off the price and go buy new nuts and bolts, no biggie...
"pretty hard to "beat up" a hitch" ... ouch, not true! We bought similar as in the photo new and had installed for us by the vendor. L-brackets were not torqued-down enough so not many miles later they started shifting; the swing-bar slipped off while towing and damaged the L-brackets requiring replacement as they had bent. Also, you really need the lever-bar to both install/remove swing-bars from the L-bracket ... and make sure the small L-piece goes OVER the swing-bar before installing its safety clip or the bar can pop off. Keep in mind, you are purchasing something that can be a safety liability, so make sure that if it is used - it is in perfect condition.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:07 PM   #17

I have the 10,000 lb version. One thing I have noticed with mine...When you're moving slow through a campground it creaks and groans loudly. I asked several people who said absolutely do not grease or oil any part of the hitch.
I was just reading online awhile ago that it's ok the "lightly" oil the bar receiver on the ball end. Both people said it stopped the groaning.
BTW $230 is a great price. I bought mine new from an RV dealer......Grab that one quick
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
I have the 10,000 lb version. One thing I have noticed with mine...When you're moving slow through a campground it creaks and groans loudly. I asked several people who said absolutely do not grease or oil any part of the hitch.
I was just reading online awhile ago that it's ok the "lightly" oil the bar receiver on the ball end. Both people said it stopped the groaning.
BTW $230 is a great price. I bought mine new from an RV dealer......Grab that one quick
From Equal-i-zer web site: "The friction surfaces of the head and sockets should be kept clean and well lubricated with a good quality lubricant. They should be lubricated before each trip."

The 'head and sockets' are the friction parts at the ball-end (head end) of the hitch. Equal-i-zer sells a lube for this. I used a wheel bearing grease and it worked OK for me.

I kept the L-brackets and load bars painted. The coat of paint kept the groans to a minimum, the friction high, and looked nice, too.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
"pretty hard to "beat up" a hitch" ... ouch, not true! We bought similar as in the photo new and had installed for us by the vendor. L-brackets were not torqued-down enough so not many miles later they started shifting; the swing-bar slipped off while towing and damaged the L-brackets requiring replacement as they had bent. Also, you really need the lever-bar to both install/remove swing-bars from the L-bracket ... and make sure the small L-piece goes OVER the swing-bar before installing its safety clip or the bar can pop off. Keep in mind, you are purchasing something that can be a safety liability, so make sure that if it is used - it is in perfect condition.

Sorry, I should have thrown in the caveat of "when used properly". Anything can be broken, but if installed and used correctly, and with a little upkeep, the chunk of iron that is your hitch is pretty resilient. Even if the brackets get bent, they are easily replaced.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-28-2015, 12:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
... you really need the lever-bar to both install/remove swing-bars from the L-bracket ... .
Not necessarily true. The trick is to lower the hitch onto the ball and lock it in then use the tongue jack to raise trailer tongue and the rear end of the TV enough to let you swing the spring bars onto their perches. Install the spring bar keepers and lower the jack. I'm not talking about picking the rear wheels of the TV off the ground! but raising it 4-6 inches beyond the static load position. This works most of the time although there will be those times when the only way to get the spring bars onto their perches is with the lever-bar.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote