Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #1

Newbie in Need of Help!

Hi All,

I have a couple of questions and the manual is less-than-informative. Also, being new (and frugal) I'd prefer not to break anything! So what I'm looking for is someone who can step-by-step me through a couple of things I'm having issues with. I'd REALLY appreciate it!

First, my water tank is not filling. Run the hose to the fresh water inlet and it runs for a bit, then back up. It was draining out of what I call a rogue hose (it's not a low point or other type hose) but when I called the dealer they said that is for air and it should have had a t-valve. I have purchased and put in place. Still no luck filing tank as it now backs up and burps out. I've even tried dribbling water from the hose...no joy. Thoughts?

Second, how do I light my hot water heater? City water connection works fine and I want to test it out. I have a 2016 Jayco 28BHKS. I've opened the valves inside from where it's been winterized, but when looking at the manual am not finding where the pilot is outside in the water heater area.

I know there will be more, but this gal in Montana could use some help on these two to start, as a big trip this weekend!

Thanks in advance!
WildChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #2

Are you talking about the fresh water tank?

Before you turn the WH on, make sure it has water in it or you'll burn up the element. You don't need to light a pilot on the new trailers as long as it's running on shore power.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #3

If it's the fresh water tank, it won't fill if you have the vent blocked/closed. Just like filling your car with fuel. When filling any enclosed tank with any kind of liquid, it needs a vent. Pressure in the tank will not allow it to fill.

There may be a backfill valve in the system as well. This valve is usually closed (by-passing the fresh water tank) when using the city connection. You may have to open it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #4

So I had the line open before and water just poured back out, hence the valve to close it.

Thoughts?
Old 04-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #5
BCK

Part of the water fill problem could be the pipe from the water inlet to your tank. On both my 2016 26BHS and a smaller Jayco a friend bought in 2015 the flexible pipe from the inlet to the tank was too long and curved up above the inlet. Its gravity feed to the water tank so hard to make the water run uphill. About half came back out the inlet while trying to fill. Once it is sloped properly none comes back out when filling.

My friend's was easy to access so just shortened it and fixed the problem. On the 26BHS it is in the void behind the converter box so I had the dealer fix mine when they did some other warranty work this spring. They just put a strap on it and pulled it down. The dealer told me it is a very common fix on the new Jaycos. The pipe is pre-cut at the factory.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
BCK

Should have mentioned that if you shine a flashlight in the fill inlet you should be able to see if the pipe curves up or is angled down like it should be.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #7

Thanks! Checked the hose and it is indeed going downward so not my issue either. I'm trying to fill a bit at a time and see if what works, but it seems like a really slow process. Even with my old pop-up camper the water would move quicker into the tank.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChild View Post

First, my water tank is not filling. Run the hose to the fresh water inlet and it runs for a bit, then back up. It was draining out of what I call a rogue hose (it's not a low point or other type hose) but when I called the dealer they said that is for air and it should have had a t-valve. I have purchased and put in place. Still no luck filing tank as it now backs up and burps out. I've even tried dribbling water from the hose...no joy. Thoughts?
The rogue pipe is your air vent and overflow tube. If you have an open underbelly, with a strong flashlight turned on, placed onto the tank, and slide it up abs down the tank you will see the water line. If the tank is very full or very empty it's harder to tell. I would open the low point drain, and drain the tank, make sure it was not full.

I would also go into the tt, there will be a cabinet that has the pump and fill tubes. You may need to remove a screw to get to it. It will be the same place where you winterize the system. Look at the hoses, make sure there are no kinks, and the lengths seam reasonable. I like the over flow to go up high to ensure the tank does not siphon dry, and no loops for a water to be trapped in. As others have said check the hose to the gravity fill, if it is to long it will force water to flow up hill.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #9

It sounds like you are not venting the air from your tank as you fill it, so the water just backs up your fill line. I just filled my fresh water tank on my 2016 27DSRL for the first time last weekend. The hose coming out the bottom is probably your overflow line. Some people put an aftermarket valve on it to prevent siphoning of the water once the tank is full, but I did not experience that issue. In any event that line needs to be open when filling your tank. Also, according to my owners manual: "Open both the hot and cold water faucets, along with outside shower faucets (if so equipped) when filling the fresh water tank to allow air pockets to be forced out of the system." I followed those instructions and did not have any issues filling my freshwater tank.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #10

Smile Too Blonde...

Thanks all!

I may just have my highlights too bright as my tank indicator is showing full (and I was reading it wrong). Can you tell I work in technology???

Running sink and pump to pull water through now and test, then will attempt hot water heater. Hoping it's just the switch I need to turn on after I've plugged the hole in hot water heater?

You guys rock and VERY grateful for this forum!
Old 04-19-2016, 05:01 PM   #11
BCK

Those are the best kind of fixes!

For the HWT, put the plug in, make sure the bypass valves are set for normal use, fill it with water and make sure all the air is out, check that your propane is on and flip the switch. It should work fine.

If the propane has been off for awhile it will take a bit for it to bleed the air out and fill the lines. I usually light a burner on the stove first to get propane through all the lines.

There is a great diagram in the post below on how to set the bypass valves correctly.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ter-35167.html
Old 04-19-2016, 06:45 PM   #12
Site Team

When the tank is full water will come out of the overflow hose. This hose has been known to siphon off water when traveling with a full tank. Some folks put a valve in the hose and open it when filling, close it after the tank is full. The water heater should come on when the switch (for gas) is turned on, no pilot to light. If there is air in the propane lines light a burner on the stove to purge the air out. There should also be another switch to run the water heater on electric.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #13

Make sure you water heater tank filled up by opening the outside cover and opening the popoff valve a little to make sure water come out of it, otherwise could damage water heater.
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Amosmoses33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #14

Thank you!

Thanks all - great help and will be anxious to get these final steps completed. The tank is full but now having water pump issues (on but water not flowing) so going to call dealer and walk through it. Then the hot water heater, and voila!

Looking forward to really testing her out this weekend...then I'll REALLY know what I need to be working on.

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #15

Does the pump run when you turn on a faucet? Does it run all the time when you turn it on. Don't be insulted since you are a newbie...there is a water pump switch most likely near where you turn on the water heater. Make sure its on.
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!
Old 04-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #16

Hi!

Yep, pump was on. Got it figured out though. It was the winterizing valves and I had one not turned correctly. Once I got that, hot water valves, pump on, tank full.....it works! A lot of little steps but VERY happy it's working as it's supposed to.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!
Old 04-20-2016, 01:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChild View Post
Hi!

Yep, pump was on. Got it figured out though. It was the winterizing valves and I had one not turned correctly. Once I got that, hot water valves, pump on, tank full.....it works! A lot of little steps but VERY happy it's working as it's supposed to.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!
Yeah! Awesome!
Cumming, Georgia
Go Dawgs!

Tags
water heater, water tank