Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #1

Newbie - Jayco Feather Sport 197

I have purchased a used Jayco Feather Sport 197 from a mother and daughter; and I know they did not take this TT in for periodic maintenance.

It has some minor repairs that are needed - kitchen faucet, antenna handle was broken off, have to replace ALL Locks on the unit - entry door since you can use a screwdriver from the outside to unlock the interior dead bolt, keys were lost for the storage and outside shower. Have to get new tires (13 " D Range Tires - not sure what D Range means). I'm also pretty sure it needs to be resealed as well, not to mention the decorative fends are separating from the sidewalls what do i use to glue them back down. I also want to set up my unit for dual propane tanks as it only has 1 now.

Now my question is this, do I need to take this to the dealers service dept to have them do the work, and inspect the unit for leaks and making sure everything works properly? is that something i can do, how much of the work can i do without forking off $$$ to the service dept? I'm pretty handy, and I've got strong handy sons as well. I just don't want this little jewel to eat my lunch.

Advice from the Seasoned RV's please??!!!
starchazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #2

Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchazr View Post

It has some minor repairs that are needed - kitchen faucet, antenna handle was broken off, have to replace ALL Locks on the unit - Absolutely! The outside shower may have to be ordered due to the age of the unit.

I'm also pretty sure it needs to be resealed as well, Depends on where you are sealing. If around windows, use ProFlex RV or Novaflex. If its on the roof, use Dicor Lap or Aplha self leveling sealant.

not to mention the decorative fends are separating from the sidewalls what do i use to glue them back down Need a bit more info.. inside decorative panels or outside wheel flares? .

I also want to set up my unit for dual propane tanks as it only has 1 now.
easiest way, take a picture of a setup on a camper that you like, and duplicate it.

Now my question is this, do I need to take this to the dealers service dept to have them do the work, and inspect the unit for leaks and making sure everything works properly?absolutely not, you can do all these checks yourself. Go slow, and ask questions. The folks on this forum are VERY knowledgeable.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #3

minor repairs that are needed - kitchen faucet, antenna handle was broken off, have to replace ALL Locks on the unit - Absolutely! The outside shower may have to be ordered due to the age of the unit. Actually as far as the shower and storage doors are concerned, I'm planning on using combo locks; that way I won't have to worry about lost keys, and a added plus is I can lock all my keys (TV/TT/ ETC) up inside the storage when away from the camp site...

I'm also pretty sure it needs to be resealed as well, Depends on where you are sealing. If around windows, use ProFlex RV or Novaflex. If its on the roof, use Dicor Lap or Aplha self leveling sealant. When you say on the roof, does that include down the side seams as well, using Dicor Lap or Aplha self leveling?

not to mention the decorative fends are separating from the sidewalls what do i use to glue them back down Need a bit more info.. inside decorative panels or outside wheel flares? . Outside Wheel Flares and the Decorative Flares on the back of the TT that go around the braking lights. It's pulling away from the outside sidewalls of the camper! I know there is a lot of adhesives on the market, but what is best in this instance?

easiest way, take a picture of a setup on a camper that you like, and duplicate it. Kewl!!!!!!! I love this forum!!!!!!

Now my question is this, do I need to take this to the dealers service dept to have them do the work, and inspect the unit for leaks and making sure everything works properly?absolutely not, you can do all these checks yourself. Go slow, and ask questions. The folks on this forum are VERY knowledgeable. Kewl!!!!!!! I love this forum!!!!!! Y'all are absolutely WONDERFUL! Thank you.
starchazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #4

Re..Re..Re..

heh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchazr View Post
minor repairs that are needed - kitchen faucet, antenna handle was broken off, have to replace ALL Locks on the unit - Absolutely! The outside shower may have to be ordered due to the age of the unit. Actually as far as the shower and storage doors are concerned, I'm planning on using combo locks; that way I won't have to worry about lost keys, and a added plus is I can lock all my keys (TV/TT/ ETC) up inside the storage when away from the camp site...
This is actually kinda fun... sounds good. Just make sure that the replacement locks fit well

I'm also pretty sure it needs to be resealed as well, Depends on where you are sealing. If around windows, use ProFlex RV or Novaflex. If its on the roof, use Dicor Lap or Aplha self leveling sealant. When you say on the roof, does that include down the side seams as well, using Dicor Lap or Aplha self leveling?Proflex or Novaflex on the sides, Dicor or Alpha on the roof

not to mention the decorative fends are separating from the sidewalls what do i use to glue them back down Need a bit more info.. inside decorative panels or outside wheel flares? . Outside Wheel Flares and the Decorative Flares on the back of the TT that go around the braking lights. It's pulling away from the outside sidewalls of the camper! I know there is a lot of adhesives on the market, but what is best in this instance?I will need to ask the technicians on recommendations.... will get an answer tomorrow

easiest way, take a picture of a setup on a camper that you like, and duplicate it. Kewl!!!!!!! I love this forum!!!!!!

Now my question is this, do I need to take this to the dealers service dept to have them do the work, and inspect the unit for leaks and making sure everything works properly?absolutely not, you can do all these checks yourself. Go slow, and ask questions. The folks on this forum are VERY knowledgeable. Kewl!!!!!!! I love this forum!!!!!! Y'all are absolutely WONDERFUL! Thank you.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote