Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2020, 06:13 PM   #1

Newbie needs help

I am new to the RV life and I am hooked up to city water and my fresh water tank keeps filling up !!! I’ve been on YouTube all day and still no luck .. can someone help .
2018 jaydlight
Apryleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #2

There should be some valves that you change depending on what you want. To fill the tank you select "city fill". To run straight off city water you select "city fixture". To run off tank you select "normal".

These are what my valves are labeled, yours may be called something different. Mine are in the area you hook the hose to.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #3

Not sure what trailer you have, but your water pump should have a built-in check valve to prevent city-connect water from flowing back through the pump into the tank. It may be failing. There are some videos out there on how to install a check valve on the hose leading into the pump to prevent that.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:31 PM   #4

On some of these without the handles I believe there is a valve that can stick. Running the water pump can free it up.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:22 AM   #5

I have a 2018 Jayco jayflight. I have tried switching on n off the water pump and that has not worked. Let me find some of these videos on changing the check valve . Thank you all for the Input ...
Old 10-12-2020, 08:34 AM   #6

my camper 2013 198RD has two places to put a hose.

-one fills the fresh water tank then you use the pump to pump it throughout the camper when not hooked up to city water.
-other one the hose screws into and the pump is not used, as pressure comes from the city faucet. tank should not fill when hooked up here.
any chance you have hose in wrong spot???
Old 10-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefoster View Post
my camper 2013 198RD has two places to put a hose.

-one fills the fresh water tank then you use the pump to pump it throughout the camper when not hooked up to city water.
-other one the hose screws into and the pump is not used, as pressure comes from the city faucet. tank should not fill when hooked up here.
any chance you have hose in wrong spot???
Probably not.

If the city water is connected (not the gravity fill), the system will pressurize against the water pump. If the check valve in the water pump is malfunctioning, the city water will pressurize the system, the water will go right back the wrong way through the water pump, and will fill the fresh tank.

VERY good chance OP has a bad check valve at Water Pump, especially if it hasn't been used in a while.

First thing I would do is remove or de-pressurize city water, then cycle the water pump a few times to see if that check valve will "un-stick" itself. It'll buy you a little time maybe until you have to replace it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:42 PM   #8

If the check valve on the pump is not working you can install a valve and manually stop the flow into the water pump. That would be the least costly way to fix it.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:06 AM   #9

So just an update, I came to a conclusion that my check valve in my pump is bad I couldn’t find a bypass valve anywhere so I installed one myself and boom problem fixed .:: I don’t need a pump right now so this buys me some time ... thank you all for your input I appreciated y’all’s help .... now on to my next fix leaky pressure relief valve ...
Old 10-15-2020, 03:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apryleigh View Post
So just an update, I came to a conclusion that my check valve in my pump is bad I couldn’t find a bypass valve anywhere so I installed one myself and boom problem fixed .:: I don’t need a pump right now so this buys me some time ... thank you all for your input I appreciated y’all’s help .... now on to my next fix leaky pressure relief valve ...
Good to hear. I’ve been wanting to do the same but have had trouble finding a valve suitable for the white, reinforced water hose coming from the pump. Lots of options for pex pipe but wasn’t sure it would work well with the white hose. What did you use? Photo? Thanks!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:11 PM   #11

I used a quarter inch shark bite cut off valve right before the pump ... photo attached ... sorry for
The late response .. update on leaky pressure valve just did another quick fix for right now just hammered the little pin in the middle and again boom no more drip ... I am learning slowly but surely ..: thank u all again
Attached Thumbnails
26B19B28-83D8-4DD3-8B25-F603B4B39EFE.jpg  
Old 10-19-2020, 01:38 PM   #12
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
update on leaky pressure valve just did another quick fix for right now just hammered the little pin in the middle and again boom no more drip ... I am learning slowly but surely ..: thank u all again
Another way to get them to stop dripping is to open the lever, and let it snap shut a few times. We've had to do that on occasion. Be sure to turn off the water supply first, or expect a bit of a shower.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:20 PM   #13

Quote:
I used a quarter inch shark bite cut off valve right before the pump ... photo attached ... sorry for
The late response .. update on leaky pressure valve just did another quick fix for right now just hammered the little pin in the middle and again boom no more drip ... I am learning slowly but surely ..: thank u all again
Thanks for the reply and photo. Mine has a reinforced water hose, not pex, coming out of the pump where I want to install a cutoff. But the Sharkbite ones seem to be only for pex like you have. If anyone knows of a valve that would clamp successfully to the white braided hose, I’m all ears!
Attached Thumbnails
2FE944FC-6EA6-4357-8596-D24C76DFD985.jpg  
Old 10-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Thanks for the reply and photo. Mine has a reinforced water hose, not pex, coming out of the pump where I want to install a cutoff. But the Sharkbite ones seem to be only for pex like you have. If anyone knows of a valve that would clamp successfully to the white braided hose, I’m all ears!
I had to join pex with that type of braided hose. The pex connected to my valve but the connection at the inline to the braided hose was loose because the braided hose was slightly larger.

I ended up using worm gear clamps at that inline. I did the normal crimp on the pex side and used 2 clamps on the braided side. I used 2 clamps just to have a larger area of clamping force. Had a slight leak at first only because I didn't tighten the clamps as much as I should have. Once tightened there were no more leaks and it has been at least 6 months.

You could also dab a little bit of silicone in there to really seal the connection. The braided hose is slightly larger than the valves I have been using, which I guess were made for pex.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I had to join pex with that type of braided hose. The pex connected to my valve but the connection at the inline to the braided hose was loose because the braided hose was slightly larger.

I ended up using worm gear clamps at that inline. I did the normal crimp on the pex side and used 2 clamps on the braided side. I used 2 clamps just to have a larger area of clamping force. Had a slight leak at first only because I didn't tighten the clamps as much as I should have. Once tightened there were no more leaks and it has been at least 6 months.

You could also dab a little bit of silicone in there to really seal the connection. The braided hose is slightly larger than the valves I have been using, which I guess were made for pex.
Jim, thank you for your info. I’ve had a couple of sales people say the plastic valve I got would work with the white braided hose, but, as you say, it is just a bit larger. I was planning to use the worm gear clamp and I like the idea of silicone as an extra filler. And two clamps. Worst that can happen is it leaks, which it was doing anyway. Thanks again!