Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2020, 11:50 AM   #1

Newbie needs help - No water pressure

We have a new to us 2013 29RLDS. We purchased it in January. I put water in it using the city connection for the first time today. With the external house water faucet turned on, I had water at all the RV faucets, shower and the toilet flushed. I left the house water connected and turned on for 20 to 30 minutes but the water quantity LED indicator never lit anything other than E. The water compressor turns on but there is no water at the faucets with the external house city connection turned off. I removed the inlet hose on the water compressor and there was no sign of water with the house city water connection turned on or off. I feel like there is a valve in the wrong position somewhere. How does the water get from the tank to the water compressor? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
vavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #2

Not sure exactly what is going on but consider this. The water pump takes water from the fresh water tank on board and pumps it to where it is needed. If you are attached to city water than the city water pressure moves the water to where it is needed and there should be no pump required or operating.
If city water is off and you did not fill the fresh water tank than there is nothing to pump. Attaching the city water for direct use does not fill the fresh water tank. On some there is a separate inlet pipe or a diversion valve.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:07 PM   #3

Well that would make a lot of sense. I was thinking the water tank was filled using the city water connection. Now I understand the city water supply and the water tank are not connected. I guess you have to fill the tank up using the gravity connection. Correct?
Old 04-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #4

Rodger is correct, somewhere, probably on the right side next to the water heater of your trailer is an opening to fill your fresh water holding tank, it may or not be labeled, depending on if someone took the label off or perhaps never had one.. When you put the hose in the hole, make sure the end is clean, flush out the hose before you start to fill, could be bugs dirt/ rocks in the hose. keep an eye on it, make sure its venting, so you dont pressurize the holding tank and damage something. I'm thinking your city water and black water flush are on the left side of your trailer.
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 02:39 PM   #5

Thanks. I used the correct filling port. The fill indicator now sees to be reading correctly. But I am still not building any pressure with the water compressor running. When I remove the inlet hose there is no water present. An ideas?
Old 04-19-2020, 02:47 PM   #6

As Vavtx said just put your hose into the tank and let it fill. No extreme high pressure but a good rate, stay around and when it overflows it should (but not always) be full. If you can look behind or under something and see the tank filling. Occasionally they don't attach the overflow properly and you don't want it filling the inside.
Then you can use the 12 volt pump (there should be a switch somewhere) to pump water out of the tank, it doesn't need to be full to do that obviously. In fact, you should sanitize the fresh water tank, lines and hot water heater on a regular basis. Use the search tool with something like sanitize tank and you will get lots of information.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #7
Site Team

The water pump may take a little time to prime, unless it hasn't been used in a long time, then you will have to give it some help. First, make sure all other faucets, outside shower, and low point drains are closed. If the water heater is not bypassed, you're filling 6 gallons into it, which takes a long time. The pump will fill that first, before getting to a faucet.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 03:45 PM   #8

FYI. You do not have a water compresser you have a water PUMP
You are correct. You must fill the FW tank with a water supply. Be sure you shut off the drain valve. It will be full when you see water run out of the over flow tube under the rig or next to the fill port. You may have to turn a valve from "city water" to "Fresh water". You will need to turn you Water pump ON. It will pressurize the system and turn off. When you open a valve to use water the pump will come on by it'self and shut off by it'self when your done. If you are on city water turn the pump OFF

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:30 PM   #9

My trailer is not the same model, but maybe this is something else you could check. locate your water pump and make sure the winterization valve is not shutting off the inlet from the fresh water holding tank to the pump , I have on occasion left mine closed and wondered why i cant get water to pump LOL.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:08 AM   #10

Thanks for all the responses. I figured it out. I either had a blockage around the water compressor or a check valve was stuck. I opened the both valves up and siphoned some water from the tank into the hose where you suck antifreeze in. Then I closed the valve to the tank and forced the water through the pump by blowing really hard. It took a few attempts but eventually if felt something pop and let loose. Everything seems to work normal now!
Old 04-20-2020, 06:27 AM   #11

If they’ve never been used or it’s been a long time between uses the valves can get a little sticky inside the water pump. Just like in your case, once they get some “exercise” they’ll start working again. Also check your filter screen, should be a little clear plastic bowl attached to your water pump. It will unscrew off the pump (make sure the pump is off and have a few paper towels for drips). Make sure there aren’t any little bits of debris in there. First time I ever ran it mine became full of little plastic pieces from all the plumbing. Only happened that time and never again.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavtx View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I figured it out. I either had a blockage around the water compressor or a check valve was stuck. I opened the both valves up and siphoned some water from the tank into the hose where you suck antifreeze in. Then I closed the valve to the tank and forced the water through the pump by blowing really hard. It took a few attempts but eventually if felt something pop and let loose. Everything seems to work normal now!

Make sure you sanitize the system. Especially if you don't know how it was maintained before.

search for sanitize
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:21 PM   #13

Welcome aboard VAVTX. Thank you for sharing what you found