Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2015, 05:54 AM   #1

Newbie Question Electrick Jack

Hi just bought a used 2013 29BHS. The Electric Tongue jack is kinda loud. Just wondering if that's normal. Seems to run smooth with out and binding or anything but its bit of a screamer! Also is there any maintenance required(greasing)?

Tks
ronster94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:25 AM   #2

TKS,
The best thing to do is find out the brand first. Then google it and get the manual for it. I have a 27DSRL I just purchased and the tongue jack on it is loud as well. I didn't see where it required grease but haven't read all my manuals as of yet.
Jhnbggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #3

The electric tongue jacks are noisy in normal operation. I believe it is the nature of the beast. Mine and the few others I've heard have ALL been loud.

I didn't see any lubrication mentioned in my manuals.

One thing that is a problem is getting water inside the unit. Most use a bucket, plastic wastepaper basket, or a bag over the top to keep water out. If your used unit did not come with something to keep water out, you may want to check it or have it checked.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:08 AM   #4

The back that came with my new trailer was loud and seemed to really struggle.

I had the forethought to pull my Husky jack off my old trailer before we sold it, thanks to my packrat side that didn't get rid of the manual jack it came with.

I wouldn't say the Husky is quiet, but it is definitely quieter than the one it replaced. It doesn't sound at all like it's struggling and has both top and bottom end stops (no blown fuses if you lower/raise it too far), plus my particular model is rated at 4500lbs and has the key fob remote (lower tongue onto the ball myself while watching backup cam from inside the truck).
Old 06-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #5

A perfect cover for the jack are the cordura nylon bags that come with most folding chairs these days. I just hem. The down and add a cord. After the chairs break, what do you do with a perfectly good bag?
gmucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #6

Thanks Everybody
ronster94 is offline   Reply With Quote