Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #1

Newbie Question - Home Outlet Use & Hot Water Heater

Hi everyone! We just picked up our 2014 Jay Flight 32BHDS last weekend. Because we have never owned a camper, we are going to try it out this weekend in our driveway My first of many questions is - can we plug the trailer into our 110 outlet in our garage and run the A/C? I know the A/C is capable of running from the garage outlet because we ran it for a bit when we brought the TT home, but I don't want to run it all weekend and find out we could have possibly harmed it. FYI - We are a 30amp TT.

Also, we were given a walk-through upon purchase and they did their best to explain everything to us, but when it's all GREEK, it's hard to remember everything. My husband has been studying the manual, but he said some areas are very vague. When they gave us the walk-through, the fresh water hose was connected to the trailer and I was able to turn on the sink to test the water but I didn't check to see if it was hot and there also wasn't a lot covered on the hot water heater. Because they had the water connected at that time, is the hot water heater full?? Does it fill automatically or is there something we need to do every time we camp?

I feel silly asking these questions, but these are a couple of our concerns. I sure hope we don't destroy something before we can learn everything! :/

Thanks for your help.

A very green newbie! - Lisa
Old 08-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #2

You can run your A/C on the 110 outlet, however, when demand is increased, you will probably blow the circuit, most likely you garage is either 15 or 20 amp, when exceeded the circuit will blow.

It is best to have a dedicated line installed with a 30 amp RV outlet in which you can plug into while parked.

The water heater will fill up by itself when conditions are met:
1: Water supply is under pressure i.e. city water connected, or the fresh water tanks are full and the water pump is turned on
2: Bypass valves are closed/opened to allow water into the water heater
3: End hot water valves have been opened allowing the air to purge out, and water to fill the tanks and pipes

Do Not turn your water heater on until you know there is water present in the water heater, to heat the element without water in the tank can damage the heating element.

good luck

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Site Team

There are no silly questions, well maybe a few. Just ask away, there are plenty of knowledgeable folks who started out just like you.

Flyrotor has answered you first concerns. Again, with water pressure on the trailer, open a hot water valve on any faucet and let it fill the hw heater until no air or bubbles come out, then you can be assured that the water heater is full. No power until then or heating element damage may occur.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #4

My garage’s 20 amp circuit also powers my home’s outside fridge and chest freezer. On hot days to run the TT AC I need to unplug Fridge/Freezer from the garage circuit and plug them into my generator Honda EU2000 so that only the TT is on the garage circuit in order to have sufficient current for the AC and some lights. I found that if I don’t do this I’ll trip the house breaker for that circuit. However I have never tripped the TT’s breaker running the TT from the Garage outlets. At home, if I run the TT fridge and Water Heater it’s on Propane/12V in order reduce the draw from the garage circuit. So far I haven’t had any problems once I figured out I needed to get the fridge and freezer off the line first. Every time they cycled on and the TT AC was on the breaker tripped.

By the way I have a 13500 AC.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #5

My wife and I were in the same boat when we bought our new Jayco this spring. We had used a pop-up a few years earlier but had no TT experience. I read a lot on this forum, watched You Tube videos on the basics of set-up/take downs, and asked questions on the forum (I also have two co-workers that has the same model Jayco...they have been a huge help!) Once you and your DH have been on a few trips, it will all seem like second nature to you. Anyway, don't be afraid to ask question....there are no silly questions.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We have company right now staying in our 30 amp TT with a 13,500 BTU a/c.
It runs fine on the garage 15 amp circuit as long as nothing else in on in the garage.
Also, they can't run the microwave at the same time.

Also, if you get stuck while at a campground, ask a neighbor. Everyone is more than happy to give you a quick tip.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Site Team

Welcome to the user friendly Jayco Owners forum! Our members just love to answer questions or help out other members when possible and have fun sharing their experiences . They also love pictures of your RV, tow vehicles, and campsites!! So do not hesitate to post pics of your Jayco in the "Pics of your Jayco forum" and pics of your tow vehicle in the "Tow Vehicle forum".

Feel free to participate in our many fun polls (first thread in New Members forum has them all listed, second thread has more new member welcoming info). Post often, have fun with the forum, and enjoy your Jayco!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #8

Thanks for your responses! We really appreciate the help and we look forward to getting to know everyone on the forum and sharing our camping experiences and concerns. I went to YouTube and found a video that I think will help a lot. I can see that you all are going to be a big help to us as well! Enjoy your Labor Day weekend! You will probably hear from me again soon!

Lisa
Old 08-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #9

LOW AMP is your problem with a 110 outlet.
It will harm the compressor somehow.
Something about low startup power.
There is a few articles on RVNET about it, but not sure where as I am not there anymore.

We installed a 30amp outlet for around $100.
It included the breaker, outlet, box, and wire IN CONDUIT.
MedicineMan is offline   Reply With Quote