Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2021, 09:22 PM   #1

Newbie Question - water systems

Just about to buy a 24RBS (take delivery on May 19th). New to this and feeling like a fish out of water. Talking of water, what is he recommended water levels for the 3 tanks for driving between sites? Our first trip will be KOA site to KOA site for 5 camps, (between 1 and 3 nights stays as we go) all with full hook ups (trying to make it as easy a possible for us). I have watched and read a lot and lost of interesting tips but sometimes conflicting. The fresh water tank is big 78G, the black and grey are 39G each. It's been suggested that, as we have full hookups, every day fill the black (one day of use wont have enough pressure) and flush it, then fill and flush grey, then empty fresh (basically travel empty). Others say leave a few gallons in black with your treatment ( happy camper powder) to let if slosh and clean...any advice would be greatly received.
Rick H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:07 PM   #2

I would keep the black and grey tanks closed if it was only going to be one day. Then before I left I would flush the toilet to get a good amount of water in the black tank. Dump it and use the tank cleaner. Add a little water and treatment. Then use the grey water to rinse the hose. Probably with only one day you could not do the black. In that case I would leave the grey tank open. It is a matter of personal preference. I error on the side of over cleaning my black tank as I do not want a poop pyramid.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State! Congratulations on the new Jayco!

You'll find varying opinions on the tanks, and what to do. Since you'll be on FHU sites, you have the option to dump the black and gray tanks when you get ready to leave for the next one, or wait until you get there, depending on how full they are.

You haven't mentioned how big or small your family is, and that can be the deciding factor. Keep an eye on your tank levels, use plenty of water to flush the toilet. Too little and the dreaded poop pyramid will form. If the black tank gets to 2/3 full or more, go ahead and dump it, run the black tank flush if you have it, followed by the gray tank. You'll find (most likely) the gray will fill up faster than the black. At this point, I give a plug to buy a tank flushing wand, even if you have the built in tank flush fitting. Our TT's 9 years old, and the sensors still work, since we flush the black tank with the wand at the end of every trip. Traveling to another campground will agitate the tanks if they're not full enough to dump at the previous site, then you have the option to dump them there when it's time.

Now the fresh water. I think it has two tanks with an equalizing hose between them. That's the way ours is. But there's a water spigot to hook up to on FHU sites, so filling the tanks full isn't necessary. You can always keep 10 or 15 gallons in them for a roadside pit stop, but just connect your fresh water hose and filter to the site spigot, and you'll have much better pressure.

Feel free to ask anything else that comes to mind. We're here to help out.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:24 AM   #4

We always travel with some water in fresh tank. It just depends on what our travel day is going to be. If we have a long trip with a stop at a rest area or harvest host we carry enough water to get us through the travel. If using full hookup then 10-20 gallons is normal. There are times that you might arrive late or it is pouring rain when you arrive. Having some water allows you a buffer and you don’t have rush to hook everything up. The other concern is added weight while traveling. You need to watch the amount of water and where the tanks are located to be sure you don’t have any balance or load weight issues.

As for black tanks. The solution for pollution is dilution Water water water. Error on the side of building volume specifically water or liquid volume. Be sure to flush with lots of water. Don’t be afraid to not empty the tank daily. 35 gallons of black water is a lot of toilet usage. A rv toilet is probably a quart or two of water. two people can go a week or more when dry camping before black tank need to drained. These tanks are square or rectangular rotary molded tanks and frequently don’t drain well. If you are constantly draing them and not allowing the water to dissolve and breakdown solids you allow the solids to dry and that can cause all sorts of issues. If you are afraid of odors add some treatments. After emptying black tank refill with a couple of gallons of water this will fill the drain line and reduce solids from getting in there. This will also slosh around keeping the tank wet.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:28 AM   #5

Congrats on the new memory maker and welcome to JOF Rick!
One issue you’ll discover is the inherent inaccuracy of the tank sensors. Once wet, they’re nearly useless. Choosing FHU sites will make it easy for you and the trailer in that you can dump the grey tanks and carry only a small amount of fresh water. For the black tank, you’ll learn how long you can go before it’s full. (It burps at the bowl when time to dump). As others have said, the more liquid in the black tank, the more efficient draining it will be. Add a couple bowls to the tank when you first set up and add a couple more when you leave after a day or two. The sloshing while driving helps breakup any solids which drains easier.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:13 PM   #6

I would not dump not dump the black every day. You’re going to run into not enough liquid in the tank, and the poop pyramid.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:14 PM   #7

Thanks All

Appreciate the info guys..
Rick H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 05:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
I would keep the black and grey tanks closed if it was only going to be one day. Then before I left I would flush the toilet to get a good amount of water in the black tank. Dump it and use the tank cleaner. Add a little water and treatment. Then use the grey water to rinse the hose. Probably with only one day you could not do the black. In that case I would leave the grey tank open. It is a matter of personal preference. I error on the side of over cleaning my black tank as I do not want a poop pyramid.
how do you clean out that poop pyramid? I have a long BBQ fork that I swish around. It seems like there is a sharp elbow 90 deg turn in the pipe to the black tank where it all gets stuck. I get enough liquid that empties out, but the poop is still there. What do you mean by "tank cleaner". The stuff doesn't seem to decompose fast enough. Also after I empty the tanks the gauges still read 3/4 full. I have the Jayco Jay Flight 174BH Baja.
Diannabc1 is offline   Reply With Quote