Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2021, 06:47 PM   #1

newbie refrigerator question

Bought a 2020 Octane 25ft from the original owner. It was unused. We're getting ready to go on our maiden voyage tomorrow. I'm hooked up to 110v house wiring using a 'cheater' plug. Had the fridge on auto for 2 days. It's warm inside. An hour ago I put it on gas. Now it seems to be getting cold. Is there something about running on house power that makes the electric side of the fridge not work? I'm wondering if it'll be ok once we're on a 30 amp hookup. This is a norcold fridge.
Any help appreciated.
tlbranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:17 PM   #2

We always plug the trailer into the house current for a couple of days before a trip to top off the batteries and get the fridge cooled down. Even on days of 100* outside, the fridge will cool down totally overnight when plugged in. Should work on 120vac or propane.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:25 PM   #3

Some troubleshooting tips attached. You may have a problem with the fridge's electric heating element.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Quick Multimeter Instructions (ver 1).pdf (376.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf RV Electrical Troubleshooting (ver 2).pdf (2.01 MB, 6 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:22 PM   #4

Thanks guys. Just checked, the fridge is warm and gas is on. Don't these ****ers check this **** before they ship it out?
tlbranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:49 PM   #5

Do you have the 12v battery connected? The fridge runs on gas or 110 house electric, but in either mode it needs a 12v battery to run the brains. It will not cool down without a 12v battery.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Do you have the 12v battery connected? The fridge runs on gas or 110 house electric, but in either mode it needs a 12v battery to run the brains. It will not cool down without a 12v battery.
Unfortunately this statement is incorrect. When connected to shore power, all systems on the RV will function whether it be 110v or 12v whether there is a battery present or not. That is what the converter is for. The only thing on the RV that will not function without a battery is the emergency brake away switch.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Unfortunately this statement is incorrect. When connected to shore power, all systems on the RV will function whether it be 110v or 12v whether there is a battery present or not. That is what the converter is for. The only thing on the RV that will not function without a battery is the emergency brake away switch.
Not in my experience. I had a similar issue to the OP and when I connected my battery the fridge worked fine. It would not cool down without the battery. The lights and other 12v worked without the battery as they were powered by the converter, but not the fridge. Maybe something is wired incorrectly from the factory on my unit as I bought it new.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #8

does the power button light up where you can switch between electric propane and off
do you have the temperature set on ***** 5 snow flakes?

we use a Thermometer like so you don't have to flap the door open to see the temp. every time you open it you loos your cold air.

is the bottom plate in the freezer cold?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B9QF64N...ing=UTF8&psc=1
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:58 PM   #9

On previous RV's (haven't checked my current RV) but on previous ones there was several cables (wires) going to the battery and one of them was for the fridge, so the fridge wouldn't work without the battery, however the real reason was the fridge power wasn't connected to anything, and how I got around it a few times was to take all the positive wires at the battery and connect them together via a bolt so that the converter cable was able to feed the other wires there at the battery, same for the negative wires there. ~CA