Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2020, 04:39 PM   #1

Newbie Tongue Hitch Question

FCI 3500 power tongue jack. Got home from a long trip last weekend and backed up the trailer into the driveway, but when I went to take off the WDH, the tongue jack would not work. So I manually did it, which I don't want to do again. So, I checked the fuse, it's fine, but replaced it anyway with 30Amp 24 Volt fuse. Power to the switch, but no power out. So I replaced the up/down switch. I knew that was going to fix the problem, but it didn't. I cleaned the grounds by removing all 3 bolts, but nothing.
So, I have an appointment at the service dept for some warranty work and I thought maybe they could test the motor while I had it there and if it needs a whole new unit, I'd buy one and install it myself.
Tonight, i was hooking up the trailer to truck (manually) and after I hooked up truck power to trailer, the tongue jack worked. (?). What I am confused about are the following:
1. I tested my batteries, they are fine.
2. I tested the components in my trailer that run off of 12V, like the lights, they worked
3. The tongue jack didn't work even when the power was plugged into a 30A plug in.
4. It only works when it is powered by the truck.

Thoughts?
Equalizer WDH
dwisser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:46 PM   #2

I can not help to diganose the issue for you, but I had the same jack it also died on me in very similar ways. I replaced it with a far better jack. The FCI on the 2018's is junk just get a good one.

I got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwisser1 View Post
FCI 3500 power tongue jack. Got home from a long trip last weekend and backed up the trailer into the driveway, but when I went to take off the WDH, the tongue jack would not work. So I manually did it, which I don't want to do again. So, I checked the fuse, it's fine, but replaced it anyway with 30Amp 24 Volt fuse. Power to the switch, but no power out. So I replaced the up/down switch. I knew that was going to fix the problem, but it didn't. I cleaned the grounds by removing all 3 bolts, but nothing.
So, I have an appointment at the service dept for some warranty work and I thought maybe they could test the motor while I had it there and if it needs a whole new unit, I'd buy one and install it myself.
Tonight, i was hooking up the trailer to truck (manually) and after I hooked up truck power to trailer, the tongue jack worked. (?). What I am confused about are the following:
1. I tested my batteries, they are fine.
2. I tested the components in my trailer that run off of 12V, like the lights, they worked
3. The tongue jack didn't work even when the power was plugged into a 30A plug in.

Thoughts?
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #3

Check your bolts to the frame. You may not have a good ground. I added a ground wire from the mounting bolt direct to the battery as it happened to me on a prior trailer. You can also clean and shine the point where the bolt goes into the jack, add a star washer, etc. to improve grounding.
Or it was just bad out of the box.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:40 AM   #4

Quote:

Thoughts?
When I added a power jack to my trailer it is wired directly to one of the batteries on the tongue.

I don't know were your batteries are located but I would trace/check the powered jack wire without tow vehicle connected.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:13 AM   #5

Lazy Days found a fuse in the junction box on the frame that was blown. I had no idea there was a fuse in there.
Equalizer WDH
dwisser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Lazy Days found a fuse in the junction box on the frame that was blown. I had no idea there was a fuse in there.
You may want to replace that fuse with an auto-reset breaker. If you run the jack to its limits (up or down), even for just a second, it is likely to pop that fuse.

My OEM FIC 3500 jack died from drowning (water intrusion); replaced it with a Husky that had better water protection, and an auto-reset breaker as well as ball bearing drive. WAY better jack in EVERY way!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:50 AM   #7

Keep a spare for every fuse in the camper in a kit. Also have a spare tongue breaker in your kit as they are outdoors and can go bad or corrode.
I have always kept a bucket over my jack when parked for storage. Cheap insurance. I put the end of my 7 way up in the bucket to keep it out of the weather. I use the chains to hod the bucket down and keep it from blowing away.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Keep a spare for every fuse in the camper in a kit. Also have a spare tongue breaker in your kit as they are outdoors and can go bad or corrode.
I keep lots of spare fuses. When you blow one, you usually blow a bunch diagnosing what is wrong. An auto resetting circuit breaker fuse for the tongue jack should be mandatory.

I keep a pile of spare fuses in a large tic tac container. Works nice, I can see what I have at a glance.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote