Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #1

Newbie Winterization question(s)

Going this weekend to put our Bungalow 40FER down for the winters nap.

First time going through this process and gained most of the information I needed using this forum but two questions remain

Should I disconnect the sewer hose (it's hard PVC but same idea) after dumping the tanks?

What position should I leave the gray water (have two of these) and the black tank valves? I presume the answer will be based on the answer to the above question.

Thanks in advance.

--John
cainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:23 PM   #2

Not sure I follow the sewer hose question. I'd disconnect if you store it while towing.
The p-trap pour you do will put a little in the grey tank. No worries letting that little bit of antifreeze sit in drain with valve closed.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #3

Valves closed , Dump some antifreeze down each drain also in the toilet bowl & down in the tank . It keeps the rubber gaskets from drying out over winter. Leave the sewer line if its pvc .
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabirch View Post
Not sure I follow the sewer hose question. I'd disconnect if you store it while towing.
The p-trap pour you do will put a little in the grey tank. No worries letting that little bit of antifreeze sit in drain with valve closed.
I'm guessing but I believe his is a park model. Likely on a permanent site.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:00 AM   #5

Rustysocket--

You are correct. Park/Destination model on a year round site. Although it gets too cold and snowy to make reasonable use along with the water at the park being shut off to all the sites in about a week.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2silverado View Post
Valves closed , Dump some antifreeze down each drain also in the toilet bowl & down in the tank . It keeps the rubber gaskets from drying out over winter. Leave the sewer line if its pvc .
Please define "some" antifreeze...how much, a quart, half gallon...?

I'm new at this also & have no idea about much of this stuff.
dlbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:32 PM   #7

a cup or so in each. the point is to get antifreeze in the P-trap underneath each drain.

Since each drain generally has a faucet above it, as you run antifreeze through the system and out each faucet until you see antifreeze coming out, then go back and add an additional cup. It will be plenty.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:44 AM   #8

Completed the winterizing yesterday. I ended up leaving the hard PVC sewer line connected with all three dump valves closed after dumping the tanks.

I used the "blow out the lines" approach. Kind of a pain and took longer than I thought. I hit each faucet 3-4 times. The worst one, relative to access was the washer (that we don't use) hookups. I think next year I may go with the anti-freeze approach.

I put at least a couple cups of anti-freeze in each sink, the shower and poured a couple cups down the toilet and left a cup in the toilet itself.

Hopefully, I did everything correctly we don't end up with any surprises in spring.

Thanks for the input and helping me nail down the last couple of details.