Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #1

Newby Asks: Keep What I Have or Get Another?

How does one go about evaluating the buy versus keep what I have now question?

I have the trailer in my signature, a 1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH. The trailer is aluminum skin and looks fine outside. As best I can tell, there was one small water leak which was repaired and has not leaked again – made one small water spot in the front bedroom (had the trailer inspected this spring and again this fall for being well sealed). All of the appliances work well. I think I should clean out the exhaust venting for the refrigerator, crawl around and do some screws on the bottom of the siding where a few have come loose, replace the toilet (developed a water leak and at 6’3” I would like a taller toilet), and fix a few stray loose and broken things. Really, two to four days of work (depending how many trips for forgotten tools or items from the hardware store are required!) and not a lot of cash would have the trailer in fine shape.

On the other hand: the tub/shower and bath room are quite small for me (although fine for the rest of the family). The bunk beds fit my sons now and probably will for another year or two, but will be getting small for them. The trailer does not have a slide-out, so when all four of us and the dogs are in the living area it is tight. The refrigerator is six cubic feet. The dinette is small for the four of us – I take up one side, or sit on a chair outside of the dinette.

I have been looking at a Jayflight 28BHBE. I like the back entry into the bathroom, the shower stall has adequate room for me, the slide-out in the living area allows more room, the bunks are double bed bunks with plenty of room for the boys to grow into, the refrigerator is eight cubic feet, the water heater is electronic ignition rather than pilot, there is an external shower and black water flush, and I would get the hide-a-bed as well as second A/C unit with 50-amp prep. This will take a pile of cash, however.

My question is how others have approached the “keep what I have now or get something else” question.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #2

It is really a question of money.
The Swift line has the same floor plan and might be a few dollars less.
287BHBE

Some questions you need to ask yourself;
What the value of the unit 95?
What will it be in say 5 years?
How many years until major repairs will be needed? A/C, fridge...
Does it still meet your needs?

For me, I decided after looking at the value of my Hybrid and the down turn of the unit then thinking about future repairs.
Get out while the getting is good...LOL
Needed tires, roof was getting close to the end of life, started to delaminate and a few other minor issues.
Plus it no longer really met our needs

So, for us, time for something else
GL

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:49 AM   #3

Honestly, I don't believe you will ever justify trading up, you can never run the numbers and come out ahead.

What I do believe, there are very few people who trade up (especially from an 18 y/o trailer) and regret it.

You already have an adequate truck, use your instincts, and what I can read between the lines, you have already made the decision, you just haven't admitted it to yourself yet

GO BUY THE TRAILER, sell your old one on Craig's List, you will get a much better deal without a trade on that age of a trailer.

Then enjoy it...

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #4

Think also about interest rates. If you're going to finance it, I don't know that you'll get a better interest rate than you can get right now. No one really knows, but I would anticipate interest rates making a steady climb in the coming years with a significant spike to occur in the next 5.

I also agree that it's hard to make the numbers work. And I would imagine you and your family would be very happy with a new rig.

FWIW, I bought a 28BHBE, and I LOVE it for many of the same reasons you mentioned.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #5

I agree with camper bob. the interest rates now are hard to ignore. we were going to trade eventually anyways but waiting a few more years would have cost us more in the long run ie: interest paid on loan and continued depreciation of our old trailer. on a bigger loan even a quarter or half point rise can add enough to the payment where you could pay for a few nights camping or at least a few 6 packs of your favorite adult beverage . right now our rates here are 3.48% for up to 7 years and 4.48% for 8 years and up to 12 years. with all that being said, in the long run we just wanted a new trailer and we made up some plausible excuses to justify it! the new trailers are nice! we also feel a lot more comfortable in this trailer with more room to move around and more storage and nicer kitchen and that is definitely worth it.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #6

How often do you camp? How often will you camp in future years?

With 4 Daughters, I wish that I had kept my old trailer. My youngest two are involved in travel soccer, girl scouts, 4H, basketball, volleyball, competitive cheer, etc. My oldest two are college and post-college.

Last year, it was used one week for fair, one week for vacation, and two weekends. I do not see a change in 2014.

So, how much will you camp in the future? I believe that the my oldest is successful from the variety of activities that she participated in during youth. I continue letting the younger ones do the same.

Therefore, I have a great outdoor fridge and awning for my driveway relaxation.

Dad of Four Girls
2011 Silverado CC 2500HD
2011 Jayflight G2 32BHDS
Dadof4Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #7

Boy, that is a hard one to answer. My goal is to get 10 years out of a camper and 20 years out of my vehicles. I hate payments and a little bit of maintenance is a lot cheaper than monthly payments or the big hit at purchase.
What I would ask;

- Does it fit your needs?
- What is the overall condition, is it starting to wear out?
- You mentioned a small water leak that can happen with a new TT as well as an old unit.
- In Minnesota you can write off the interest on your taxes as it is considered a second home (as long as it has a bathroom), without the luxury of not having to pay property taxes.

Personally I would think a 20 year old trailer with many miles and a lot of use it is fairly warn out. I may not replace it immediately, but I too would be thinking about replacing it. It may be worth a few trips over the next few years to your local RV shows just to see what is out there, and what your needs are. This way when you decide to change, you have a good idea what you may want.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #8

Why not wait one to two more years till your boys outgrow the bunks.. then you will have to move up.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
- In Minnesota you can write off the interest on your taxes as it is considered a second home (as long as it has a bathroom), without the luxury of not having to pay property taxes.
This got me to thinking; For federal tax purposes, you can likely write off the interest AND the sales tax (if any) at time of purchase...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #10

If you can afford to buy a new roomier TT now I say do it. Start enjoying it now.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote