Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2021, 04:41 PM   #1

No 12v power...

Hello, absolute newbie here with what looks like a common problem. Brought the TT (2021 Jayco Jay Feather 166FBS) home last weekend and parked it in the driveway. Everything (except the inside fridge) works when on shore power but I can't seem to find the battery fuse to reset. Scoured the internet for pic, but I have found what I think is it, but no reset button. No visible fuses near the battery and the battery disconnect is not disconnected. Want to take her out next weekend but am really bummed to have this issue. Help!!!
Al Couvillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:00 PM   #2

If you follow the positive battery cable down from the battery, there should be an inline fuse, may have a black cover on it. If it has a disconnect, make sure power is getting thru it.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:31 PM   #3

... not sure I understand. Are you saying everything works when plugged into shore power except inside fridge, but doesn't work off the battery after you unplug? If so follow 16WhiteColly's advice to trace the line. Start with a known charged battery and check each connection as you move away from the it. A multimeter is handy if you have one. A 12v test light is inexpensive and will give you a quick result of current.

The fridge should work off 120v AC shore power, unless you have it set for gas only. The 12v DC appliances (lights, fans, etc.) will work from the battery or the converter.

Are you planning to camp off the grid?
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I have followed the wire from the battery to the frame, and I think this is the fuse... But yes, I am saying when I am plugged into shore power or not, the fridge does not work. I'm pretty sure during the walkthough, I was told the fridge is 12v only.
Attached Thumbnails
Fuse 1.jpg   Fuse 2.jpg  
Old 10-14-2021, 07:40 PM   #5

I do have a small fridge on the side in one of the doors and it works when I am plugged in, but no power at all when I am not plugged in. Power tongue jack and light on the jack does work though...
Old 10-14-2021, 10:01 PM   #6

Al,
If I am understanding your trailer has the upgraded 12v only fridge and it does not work either on shore power or off the battery? Under the fridge there is the furnace and then just to the left there is another black box, that is the main control box with circuit breakers and fuses. I would think that the fridge would be on one of those fuses. If its a electric/gas it will have a circuit breaker.

Question, do all the lights work either plugged in or off battery?

Now if you have the standard fridge, which is tricky (sales person screwed me on this one...) it is 12v and 120v but it really is either 120v or Propane. To get it to ignite the first time I had to mess with my propane bottles a bit and also blow out the igniter (black bottom panel in back of trailer).

There are two easy ways to confirm which fridge you have. On the back of the trailer a 12v will have only one black vent where the electric/gas will have two (one high and one lower). The second way is on the electric/gas it will also be a dometic with the buttons at the top, on/off and then propane or auto. The 12v does not have this option at all.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:08 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply! It's definitely a 12v only fridge. Furrion Artic 8 cu. ft. 12v Built in Refrigerator with a 15 amp fuse. When you are on shore power and you open the door, the interior light comes on but the power light for the thermostat does not and it does not cool. Also. if I unplug from shore power, I have absolutely no lights, nothing. Everything except for the fridge, works on shore power. Power tongue jack and light do work though.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:19 PM   #8

Pic of fridge back
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge 1.jpg  
Old 10-14-2021, 10:22 PM   #9

Assuming you have looked at the 15amp fuse, and assuming its the one in the fuse box (not somewhere else). When you take it out does a red light pop on, on the panel? If it does the power is good at least to there... I would also just try swapping out that fuse just in case.

If that light comes on and after putting a new fuse in it still does not work then you at least know that the issue is between that connection and fridge. Not having that fridge Im not sure if there are any switches etc... There might be some wires or connections behind that panel on the back of the trailer, I know mine has its propane and power connections all back there. Thats where the volt meter etc would help.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:24 PM   #10

Awesome you were ahead of me... so do any of those wires have any power? maybe just take them off and put back into the connectors (which those are nice connectors if you haven't used that type before). But just make sure nothing was/is loose. But test at same time.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:36 PM   #11

Actually when I pulled the fuse to see if it was blown, the red light did NOT come on. I pulled another fuse to test, and the light did come on. A volt meter is my next purchase. Don’t know much about wiring and circuits but as guess I’m going to learn. Not what I really wanted first week as an RV owner and purchased new to try to avoid these problems but things happen I guess. Thanks for your help. I appreciate everyone.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:29 PM   #12

I am curious is the one that the light didnt come on the very top fuse? If so mine does the same. Jayco does a good job at labeling what each fuse is for.

I understand the new trailer owner blues.. my tongue jack still does not work off battery and I know its a fuse but cannot find that stinking fuse for the life of me. I believe (after taking everything else apart that is outside on the tongue) that its under the black plastic under the trailer and just behind the front beam of the trailer. I now have Jayco reps asking the build team leaders where exactly the fuse is (or should be) on this model but its taking time and we are going camping tomorrow. The dealer wont answer questions on it and just wants me to schedule a service for it... Ummm no Im not doing that for a owner serviceable fuse!

In your case unfortunately you may have another wire loose or a bad fridge. One person mentioned that some of the connections behind the power center (circuit breaker box) were loose on their new trailer. You could check that, it would just be four screws to find out. But make sure to disconnect the battery first and no shore power connected.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:57 PM   #13

Don't overlook the possibility of a loose ground connection at the battery. Most people focus on only the positive feed but it takes both positive and negative for the battery to work. Bad ground connections to the frame happen all the time.

I have attached some troubleshooting info that may help.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Quick Multimeter Instructions (ver 1).pdf (376.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf RV Electrical Troubleshooting (ver 2).pdf (2.01 MB, 9 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:38 AM   #14

My factory fridge had a yellow in-line fuseable link on the back when I removed it to install a 110V residential one.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:22 PM   #15

Is the trailer level?
tlbranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:35 PM   #16

The back of the fridge in the picture looks like a residential fridge, not a 2 way or 3 way RV fridge.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Couvillon View Post
Thanks for the advice. I have followed the wire from the battery to the frame, and I think this is the fuse... But yes, I am saying when I am plugged into shore power or not, the fridge does not work. I'm pretty sure during the walkthough, I was told the fridge is 12v only.
That looks like the negative connection to chassis. The fuse is likely in the positive wire from battery, and should be very close to your battery (so that it protects the entire system, starting with the emergency brake-away braking circuit).

Don't be shy about calling the dealer for some help. Everyone was a newbie once, and calling after something goes wrong won't be any easier!
AncasterDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:25 PM   #18

On the narrow end, just above the mounting screw head, if it has a small black button protruding, push it to reset. If no button on either end, it is "auto-reset" type and if not connecting, is defective and needs replaced. Buy local auto parts or online. Will have an amp rating label, and they are "12VDC CIRCUIT BREAKERS", not fuses. LUCK to ya.
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:57 PM   #19

Ground

Not sure if this helps but a bad ground underneath my 195RB caused me no end of grief until I discovered the head of the screw had popped off. They over tighten these things at the factory and problems don't always show up until later. See my pic. Drove me nuts until I crawled underneath the trailer following all the ground points. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
20190614_230614.jpg  
DSchmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:56 PM   #20

12V fridge didnt work either

I ended up taking my 2021 travel trailer to the dealer for service because my fridge didn't work the day after picking it up. They ended up having to order a part. Since it's 12V, it doesn't work on propane, only off the battery. I was told if I am plugged into shore power, the power is charging the battery so it can run everything and the fridge is not actually running on the shore power. Good luck.
Timolajh is offline   Reply With Quote