Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2014, 02:04 AM   #1

No heat - help

On the first trip where heat would be nice in a 2012 Jay Flight Swift 198rd. Been reading forums and messing with the thermostat for an hour now (1am now) and can't get anything to happen. Switch has been moved back and forth from off to on and slider has gone back and forth. Thermostat clicks when the temp hits the right spot but nothing no fan coming on or anything. Worked great at the dealer when we bought it a few months back. What am I missing?
bacome98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:46 AM   #2

Does the stove light? Make sure you have a good flow of propane first. I've found that if you turn on the propane tank too fast, there's a safety in there that prevents the flow of gas. Try it slowly.... If the stove lights easily, I'd check circuit breakers next to make sure none are tripped.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:37 AM   #3

If any of your lights are working then 12V is available. The first thing to check will be your fuses. One of them is for the furnace. The fan in the furnace is 12V. All 12V items in the camper are protected by fuses not breakers. The propane flow will not prevent the fan from running. Only after the fan is running and you still get no heat should troubleshooting the propane flow begin.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #4

Checked all the fuses and they are good. Everything else is working just fine. Stove lights on first try so I know I have good flow. Was thinking it might be the thermostat itself but with it clicking on when I move the slider wouldn't that mean it is working fine?
Old 06-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #5

It could very well be a defective thermostat. I would start by removing the cover and see if there is possibly a loose wire. Beyond that you will need a voltmeter and begin wire tracing to determine where you have voltage and where you don't. Other possibilities include a loose wire at the furnace control board or the furnace control board itself. Depending how adept you are at tracing wiring and taking voltage measurements you might have to take it to the dealer. Good luck.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #6

On the thermostat there should be wires labeled w and r( usually red and black). Disconnect those two wires and then connect them together,that should turn on furnace heat on. If it comes on then you know it is your thermostat.
Ali#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #7

Looks like a trip to camping world today. Jumped the two wires and heat came out. Thanks for all your help. No fun explaining to two small children why the heater doesn't work.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #8

w and r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali#1 View Post
On the thermostat there should be wires labeled w and r( usually red and black). Disconnect those two wires and then connect them together,that should turn on furnace heat on. If it comes on then you know it is your thermostat.
It is great to have such knowledgeable folks on this forum. Think how much money was just saved on a service call or a trip to the dealer. My hats off to all the great folks who make contributions to these forums!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
It is great to have such knowledgeable folks on this forum. Think how much money was just saved on a service call or a trip to the dealer. My hats off to all the great folks who make contributions to these forums!

Agreed!!
vboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #10

Camping world was sold out but another independent rv center nearby had one. Will soon be installing it and am sure tonight will be much better. Thanks again guys for all your help.