Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2022, 08:03 PM   #1

No power

I have a Jay feather 24 bh. The other day we put the slide in and disconnected the battery. Today I went to put the slide out and there was no power to the coach at all, except the microwave.

I plugged the unit into a 12v to get shorepower but still nothing. The panel has a green light and no breakers tripped.

Any idea what's going on? If the battery is dead will this cause these issues?
Twaterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:33 PM   #2

Go around and check all the outlets that have GFCI, and be sure they arent popped out. If so, push in all the way and see if that does it.

-STE
Torklift Stable Loads
Thule Range 4 bike rack
Sam_The_Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:33 PM   #3

Did you put the battery back it? Do you have a batt disconnect switch. I’ve discovered that without the battery the batt disconnect switch still has to be “on” for the 12V things to work. You say only microwave is working. You must be connected to shore power since the micro needs 110V/AC. Check the 110V outlets to see if they work. Micro, TV, ceiling fan and AC are the primary things requiring AC power, just about everything else needs 12V.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:35 AM   #4

Check for a blown 30 amp in line fuse in the area of the battery. It may be hidden under the front of the trailer body but should be located somewhere close to the battery / junction box...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Did you put the battery back it? Do you have a batt disconnect switch. I’ve discovered that without the battery the batt disconnect switch still has to be “on” for the 12V things to work. You say only microwave is working. You must be connected to shore power since the micro needs 110V/AC. Check the 110V outlets to see if they work. Micro, TV, ceiling fan and AC are the primary things requiring AC power, just about everything else needs 12V.
I did not see an inline fuse but there is a junction box attached to the frame. I will look in there. There was also no issue with the gfi, and the battery disconnect is not pulled.

Is it possible my battery is just shot?

Thanks for all the help
Old 05-10-2022, 08:14 AM   #6

Can you measure voltage at the battery without being connected to shore power?

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:43 PM   #7

The battery was measuring 0. I swapped it out with a new battery now I get a clicking noise from the relay box attached to the frame. There is no fuse in the box.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twaterhouse View Post
The battery was measuring 0. I swapped it out with a new battery now I get a clicking noise from the relay box attached to the frame. There is no fuse in the box.
Are you sure that is a relay box and not a self-resetting circuit breaker? If you can grab a quick picture I (and others) can likely tell you. If it is the self-resetting breaker, then that would indicate a heavy load going across the connection. ~CA
Old 05-10-2022, 02:55 PM   #9

Here is where the noise comes from.
Attached Thumbnails
20220510_165006.jpg  
Old 05-10-2022, 03:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Here is where the noise comes from.
I can't see anything in the box that would click unless it is under the wires and not visible in the picture. However, just to the right and outside of the box, the thing that looks like a LEGO block is likely the self-resetting breaker that I suspect is what you hear clicking. See if you can verify that the clicking is from that "LEGO" block. If so, then as mentioned earlier that would indicate a lot of current flowing, more than the breaker is rated for.

With that in mind, are you plugged into 120v? If not, then are you sure of all of you battery cables and that they are connected correctly? Anything else that you have connected or turned on (inverter or ???). ~CA
Old 05-10-2022, 03:03 PM   #11

I had everything disconnected and was not plugged in to shore. Just the new battery. What would cause it to have to much current?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 05-10-2022, 03:06 PM   #12

Quote:
I had everything disconnected and was not plugged in to shore. Just the new battery. What would cause it to have to much current?

Thanks for all the help!
Could be many things, certainly something that draws a lot of current (rules out a light bulb for example). I have seen where a battery connection has multiple wires connected and one of them is on the wrong side of the battery which can cause what you are reporting. So a picture of the battery top and cables would help. I have also seen where something else that can pull a lot of current is turned on such as an inverter. In some cases, I have seen where a stuck switch causes this like for a slideout that is already in and the switch is stuck in the in position (or the electric jacks or similar). A clamp style amp meter and voltage meter could be of value if you have one? ~CA
Old 05-10-2022, 03:57 PM   #13

Only the 2 battery terminals are connected to the battery. Beyond the basic things I'm not even sure where to test. When the battery was connected I was also unable to reset the gfi in the bathroom if that does anything to help?

The last thing we did before having this issue was bring the slide in
Old 05-10-2022, 05:32 PM   #14

Update. Disconnected the battery and took a break. Came back awhile later, pulled the battery disconnect- reconnected the battery and it started popping at the battery disconnect site (with the disconnect pulled) I put the disconnect back into the on position, it tripped a couple times and then stayed on? So now I have full power again. Not sure what happened differently.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:34 PM   #15

Do you have a black and red wire on the battery in which case red is positive or a black and white wire where black is positive. You may already be aware of the colors but just to check in case of a reverse connection which would cause a similar issue to what you have. ~CA
Old 05-10-2022, 05:35 PM   #16

Red and black where red is positive.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:41 PM   #17

I would keep an eye on the battery voltage, if something is using a lot of 12v power then the voltage will go down rather quickly (perhaps a few hours) and that would help you determine if everything is working as it should or if not. ~CA
Old 05-10-2022, 06:18 PM   #18

So far so good. Keeping a close eye to see if anything starts to go wrong.

Is it possible a relay was stuck open somewhere draining power and tripping the circuit?

Electrical matters are not a strong area for me
Old 05-11-2022, 06:35 PM   #19

Battery disconnect should be switched to "on" or whatever to allow the battery to charge. If that is the OEM disconnect switch, your battery will have a "sacrificial drain" when not charging to maintain your radio presets, your propane alarm, and CO alarms. You also should find that in-line fuse from the battery to make sure it is good. Why is there a fuse? Because the slide, jacks, and awnings will have a current surge that exceeds the ampacity of the skinny wire that charges the battery from the power converter. That is why there are bigger cables that go to the auto reset breakers (behind the leggo-looking thing).
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:46 PM   #20

Same issue Jay Flight 29bhdb

We have a similar issue. Dealer has replaced the resetable fuse 3 times and still nothing works. No awning, slide or jacks. The fuse clicks in the board. We used a meter to the board with everything disconnected including the battery, there is no reading if you touch any of the fuse ports; however, the port for the resetable one is getting power. Is it a short? Or could the board be bad? Going to our dealer costs $200 in gas and a half day off of work for travel time. Help....any ideas on anything I wrote? Thanks in advance!
J2robert is offline   Reply With Quote