Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #1

No power in non-GFI plugs!

My 2008 trailer has no power from the non-GFI wall plugs. Trailer is plugged in (e.g. microwave is on). Oddly, I have power coming from the GFI labeled wall plugs. These non-GFI plugs (the ones not working) are the two located at the front of the trailer and one under the table. All the fuses are good. All circuits on the circuit breaker are on and connectors tight.

I had recently called my dealer who suggested that I tighten the wire connector on the "utility converter" breaker. I have done this and still no power.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Jaco 19HB
Jayco 19HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #2

I would suggest contacting Jayco and tell them what model RV you have and they will send you a wiring diagram of your camper, they sent me a copy of my 330rlts wiring diagram. This would tell you how this electrical circuit is fed which will give you a good place to start looking for your problem. They will ask for your Vin# so you will need to write it down before you contact them so you will have it handy.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #3

On our last trailer, a Mountaineer, even the non GFI plugins were wired through the GFI plugins. In other words, all the plugs were GFI. I don't know how Jayco do theirs but every time a plug in was dead we checked the GFI plugs.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #4

Thanks. Not sure I understand. If one GFI plug did't work what exactly did you do to get it to work?

Thanks again!
Jayco 19HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #5

First of all - Welcome to the forum! If you get a chance come on over to the new member forum and introduce yourself.

I would hit the test buttons on the GFI and reset them just to be sure everything is set. The GFI is generally the first outlet in the string all outlets after the GFI are also protected. Next I would do as YDDAD says and get with Jayco. They will send you a wiring diagram and hopefully that will help you narrow it down.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 19HB View Post
Thanks. Not sure I understand. If one GFI plug did't work what exactly did you do to get it to work?

Thanks again!
My wifes hair dryer by the bathroom sink was the usual culpret for us. It also killed the kitchen plugs. We had to reset the button by the bathroom sink.

This may not be the case with your trailer but that is what happend with us. I hope this helps.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:17 AM   #7

Have you turned all your breakers off than back on again? Sometimes a breaker switch won't kick over and may look like it is on. Than go borrow a circuit tracer from your buddy. Good luck. Actually there aren't that many circuits in a trailer. If you have meter you could do a continuity test to find it.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #8

If all else fails. Shut the power off and remove the plugs that do not work, one at a time. Start with the one nearest the electrical panel. Look for a loose wire connection on the plug. You may also want to check the output of each breaker with a meter. Electrician Jim
2011 Silverado LTZ 6.2L Max Tow Package
scalemaster is offline   Reply With Quote