Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2019, 01:18 PM   #1

No Power to Camper

We tried winterizing our camper over the weekend and ran into a major issue... we have ZERO power... we are currently plugged in, and there is no power going to the camper for us to turn the lights on, move the slide in, etc. we have power in the outlets, but that doesn't require the 12v power, they are 10v.... Another issue we are having is, whenever we plug into a shoreline at the campground we blow our main fuse in the camper.. And we also noticed that our battery does not charge when plugged in. This is honestly an electrical nightmare.... our camper is a 2014 Jay Flight Swift 28bhbe model and has barely been used... could this mean our converter is gone in the camper?
Camperlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum!

Start with the grounds on your camper (clean, corrosion free?) Then go to fuses and relays, don’t just look at them, test the fuses with a NON LED test light. Then pull them and look for any indication of heat or damage. If in doubt replace them ONE AT A TIME!, this will allow you to determine where the problem is/was.
Regarding the converter, determine what make and model you have, then Google issues with _______ converter. Someone else has had the same problem and figured out a solution. Electrical gremlins suck but if you take your time and start with a plan they can be figured out.

When you determine what the problem and solution is, make sure you come back and explain it here, it may help someone else in the future.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #3

Look for a relay around the battery. It should have a tiny push button on it to reset it.

Attached Images

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

The rig is a 2014. What's the condition of the battery? is there water in it? Have you did the basic voltage test with a meter to check the voltage? Has it been completely discharged in the past?

Battery charger might not be working. Take a reading at the battery before plugging the rig in, then plug it into 115 volt and take a second reading. Voltage should jump up if charger is working.

Otherwise, a 6 year old battery could be toast.

Alternatively, many people have reported issues with corroded negative cable connections. I'd slide under the rig and check them out.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #5

So I had my boss come over and look at the camper, turns out the Converter went, the two compositors blew and the fuse on the converter. So he managed to find one on Amazon and it should be here in the next few days. We aren't sure if there are going to be other problems when we hook the new one up, but i will let everyone know once we do, plan on getting it in this weekend.

Finger's crossed this new converter fixes all our electrical problems. Our battery was not holding a charge this year so we replaced it and we think that maybe we hooked up the battery wrong which blew the converter... who knows we are definitely not electrical people and we don't try to be. Thankfully my boss will be hooking up the converter and doing a once over on anything that might be wrong.
Camperlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperlife View Post
So I had my boss come over and look at the camper, {snip} Thankfully my boss will be hooking up the converter and doing a once over on anything that might be wrong.
You had better kiss butt for him/her trying to help you! It may help with your performance rating!
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #7

I hope you checked the fuses in the back of the converter. Having hooked it up backwards could have blown them out.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote