Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2021, 03:20 PM   #1

No propane to stove

Subject: not getting propane into trailer.

I have a 184bh. Getting it ready for a trip next week. Have a full bottle of propane but I'm not getting any propane to the stove. I have read the forums that say there is an emergency check valve inside the pigtail that will engage if you open the bottle too fast. I have done as recommended-remove the pigtail and knock it on something hard a few times to release it. I have waited a couple hours and I have stood at the stove with the burners wide open trying to light them. I see no bad places in the hoses or corroded fittings. I understand it is likely air locked but how do I clear the line? Should I be able to hear something at the burners or smell gas? Neither are the case. I went to purchase a new pigtail but only place in town has closed for the day. Any help, suggestions, experience with this would sure be appreciated!
KowalskyKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:03 PM   #2

Could be the regulator went bad after a few hard knocks. With it off crack the valve a tiny bit and see if gas comes out. Never heard if it has happened but could be a stuck safety valve. You may want to contact a local LP gas delivery service as they often have technicians who could answer that question. A new regulator is not expensive. Many hardware, farm stores, etc. carry them.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:05 PM   #3

There is a high flow limiting valve inside the tank itself. Try closing the valve on the tank and with everything turned off, slowly open the valve on the tank, then open a burner on the stove and once the air is purged from the line hopefully you will smell propane.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KowalskyKs View Post
Subject: not getting propane into trailer.

I have a 184bh. Getting it ready for a trip next week. Have a full bottle of propane but I'm not getting any propane to the stove. I have read the forums that say there is an emergency check valve inside the pigtail that will engage if you open the bottle too fast. I have done as recommended-remove the pigtail and knock it on something hard a few times to release it. I have waited a couple hours and I have stood at the stove with the burners wide open trying to light them. I see no bad places in the hoses or corroded fittings. I understand it is likely air locked but how do I clear the line? Should I be able to hear something at the burners or smell gas? Neither are the case. I went to purchase a new pigtail but only place in town has closed for the day. Any help, suggestions, experience with this would sure be appreciated!
I had this same problem last week. I did everything you did except bang the pigtail on something hard. I got so frustrated I shut everything off and decided to try again the next day. The next day I opened the valve on the tank slowly and like magic I had propane at the stove.

Jay Flight SLX 7 145RB
scloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scloyd View Post
I had this same problem last week. I did everything you did except bang the pigtail on something hard. I got so frustrated I shut everything off and decided to try again the next day. The next day I opened the valve on the tank slowly and like magic I had propane at the stove.
Here's hoping tomorrow it will be working. It has been very humid here today and the camper wasn't used at all last year so maybe that valve is extra sticky and needs a little time to relax!
Old 07-17-2021, 07:45 PM   #6

In my trailer the stove is the farthest device from the tanks. What I do is open the tank valve slowly, then go to the stove and hold one of those butane long tube lighters right next to the burner with the flame going. Then I turn on that stove burner and wait until the burner lights. Then I know that all devices have propane.

If you listen closely you can hear a slight hissing sound coming from the burner.

I don't advise "banging" the regulator on anything, you could get a rude surprise the next time you use gas.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:30 AM   #7

Just for the record, I didn't bang the regulator on something hard, I banged the pigtail with the emergency check valve.

Removed my pigtail, air blows through it fine. Removed the line directly below the regulator and tried to blow air through it (with burners open) and no air getting through. Are there other check valves along those hoses or does that suggest a blockage?
Old 07-18-2021, 08:32 AM   #8

And as stated before, listening closely, there is no sound of air, no odor of gas. Burners open for 20 minutes, nothing getting through.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:00 PM   #9

It turned out to be the regulator. I found out that Ace Hardware has a pretty extensive RV section! Thanks all!
Old 07-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #10
Site Team

Good deal. I'm glad you're back in business.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KowalskyKs View Post
It turned out to be the regulator. I found out that Ace Hardware has a pretty extensive RV section! Thanks all!
Glad you found the problem, had that issue of stove not lighting and found it to be the valve that you attach to the tank, has a round plastic ring in it to press the valve on the tank open allowing gas to flow. Did the old switch from one tank to the other with hose and it worked great bought a new hose all is good.
Jolvi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air lock, propane, stove