Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer virgin View Post
I'm going to email Jayco with my vin. Maybe they will know. Worth a try. Thanks for the info!
Good idea and please let me know what Jayco has to say.

I forgot to tell you.....when I took delivery, the dealer told me the fresh tank was full.....it is something they do routinely, or so they say.

Anyway, when I finished my shakedown trip of two nights, I drained that tank(s) with the small white drain valve.
It took quite a while to drain but I have zero idea what that amounts to in gallons.
I had used the fresh water liberally as to partially empty that tank(s) so I don't know how much was left.....and the tank level indicator still showed as full.

I also don't know if those Baja models are all made in Idaho or not.
Mine indicates yes made in Idaho and the specs say that fresh tankage of 80 gallons is only on Idaho built models.
redsnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCooper View Post
Snip - We did, however, determine we wanted a 26' or so with one slide, no bunks (we have dogs but no kids yet) and the seating area in the back for recliners. Also prefer the shower to half tub things. This led me to find the Jay Flight SLX 265RLSW.
Oh, and truck shouldn't be an issue fwiw as it hauls farm equipment in excess of 15k lbs.
A couple of things. As has been said, you will find a lot of great advice here. Just start reading. IMO, you are looking at a good length range. Keep in mind a model number (like 265RLSW) does not equal overall length.
You may come across the axiom "buy your second trailer first". I say this because you not that you and your wife have dogs but no kids, YET. As someone has said, you may consider looking at bunk editions to start off with. re; the shower over half tub things. Again, even these half tub things have shower nozzles, and we have found even the half tub useful at times.

Finally, you mentioned joining this "cult"

I am sure others can chime in here. We would love to have you but you have to perform certain "initiation" tasks before you may enter. Some of these 'tasks' could be questionable as many of us have unscrupulous and devious imaginations. Luckily, we can be bribed with beer, scotch, or (as usual) ignored..... LMAO.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #23

redsnapper...
I will let you know what Jayco says.
That is very strange that the dealer filled your water tank! From what I've read, you should only travel with about 1/3 of water in that tank. Water is very heavy.
The tank indicator said 'full' after you emptied it? That's not right.
Well, I can't wait to see what Jayco says about my water tank. Guess it will depend on whether or not my Baja edition was made in Idaho...or not...
Old 02-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #24

Quote:
That is very strange that the dealer filled your water tank! From what I've read, you should only travel with about 1/3 of water in that tank. Water is very heavy.
This is straying off topic here. Apologies to the OP.

I can't imagine where you would have read not to travel with a fresh water tank only 1/3 full.
I know it has been said in many forums, but that is usually spurred by personal choice due to the weight and gas mileage.
The whole idea behind most RV models is for people to get out and go camping. This includes 'boondocking'. Because of this, RVs are built to be able to travel with full tanks if and when needed.
Baja editions are specifically built for the 'boondocker' in mind. This is why they come factory with increased clearance, larger LT tires and rims, and the increased fresh water tank size. This accommodates those who like to 'get off the grid' and 'get away from it all'. Meaning, not necessarily staying at campgrounds or RV parks with hook up amenities.
Why would a trailer be built with an 80 gallon water tank but limit you to carrying only 1/3 of the capacity? How are you suppose to fill it the rest of the way once you get to your secluded final destination which has no services?

I apologize if I sound harsh, I do not mean to be. I sincerely mean to convey that I am absolutely sure you can travel with a full water tank. I have done so in every camping rig I have ever owned. I have never ever had any problem other than losing gas mileage from towing the extra weight. I primarily only boondock, and I am a very avid hunter and take my rigs into some pretty rough country (so much so that on my old 5er, I had skid plates to protect the grey and black water tanks and drains).
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #25

I'd say anything from $18,500 down would be a good price for a 265RLSW.

As you can see from my profile have almost identical floor plan 27 DSRL and love it. It would run about an additional $7k if cost is an issue.

Check TV Payload - you'll need around 900lbs depending on a lot of variables.

Have plenty of leveling blocks. Water pressure regulator and enough sewer house to go maybe 30 feet. Same distance for electrical hook up extension and water hose. I use an external water filter as well. Small air compressor for tire inflation and winterizing, torque wrench for lug nut checking, hitch lock, and BEER!

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #26

A way to see what your FW tank holds, is see how long it takes to fill.

Using a timer, (I use the stop watch timer on my Droid), see how long it takes to fill a five gallon bucket, or whatever size you have.

A bucket takes 50 seconds to fill from my water hose, so that is a gallon per 10 seconds, or 6 gallons a minute.

You will know for sure if you have the extra tank.

if I'm gong to a place with hookups, I put around 25 gallons in to get me there, so I let it fill for 4 or 5 minutes. If going to boondock, I put the whole 80 gallons in.

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #27

Quote:
redsnapper...
I will let you know what Jayco says.
The tank indicator said 'full' after you emptied it? That's not right.
Well, I can't wait to see what Jayco says about my water tank. Guess it will depend on whether or not my Baja edition was made in Idaho...or not...
I am sorry.....I didn't mean to say the tank indicator said full after being emptied.
I meant that after I had used a liberal amount of water (toilet/sink) the indicator still said full.

When I totally drained the tank, I didn't check that indicator.
Hoping this clears that up.....
Old 02-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenelz View Post
A way to see what your FW tank holds, is see how long it takes to fill.

Using a timer, (I use the stop watch timer on my Droid), see how long it takes to fill a five gallon bucket, or whatever size you have.

A bucket takes 50 seconds to fill from my water hose, so that is a gallon per 10 seconds, or 6 gallons a minute.

You will know for sure if you have the extra tank.

if I'm gong to a place with hookups, I put around 25 gallons in to get me there, so I let it fill for 4 or 5 minutes. If going to boondock, I put the whole 80 gallons in.
Good idea....I will give that a go next time.

Is your 2017 Jay Flight 21QB one of the Baja models with an 80 gallon tank?
Old 02-24-2017, 05:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
Good idea....I will give that a go next time.

Is your 2017 Jay Flight 21QB one of the Baja models with an 80 gallon tank?
Not a Baha model, I was just telling him how to tell how many gallons the tank holds, and how to know how many gallons you put in for any trailer.

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:05 AM   #30
Site Team

I would have to drain it and refill just for my own satisfaction.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #31

For some reason I stopped getting notifications on my own thread... anyways thank you all who have weighed in very much. I wasn't really into this idea for a long time but now see myself getting excited. I feel the most fair initiation to the cult will be the hours of reading and generally fumbling around figuring things out. I am also one of those crazy drivers when in my car so taking that down multiple notches is going to be required.

I greatly appreciated the lists of items needed.

Anyways, my wife and I went to a number of dealers and a big RV show in Western NC and are still leaning Jayco. This is probably pretty petty and cosmetic but the thing I wish Jayco would change the most is the countertops. That vinyl along the edge is bound to separate and let water in.

We have currently narrowed it down to:
Jay Flight 28RLS- like the finishes and higher tank capacities
Jay Flight 29RLDS- so spacious
SLX 265RLSW- saves several grand and do we really need more? Several of you have them and seem happy.

Two things I was comparing on option lists for three 28RLS models (applies to others as well):
-underbelly insulation package... does this make a considerable difference or are there other benefits in terms of protecting any ducting or fluid lines?
-a/c unit... 13.5 vs 15k? We plan on going to the desert at some point. And we live in the humid South. Unless there's a breeze, anything over 74 is uncomfortable for sleeping, personally. Maybe I just answered my own question, unless you guys think a 13.5 is enough.

Again, thanks so much for your feedback!
USCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:37 AM   #32

Bump bump
Old 03-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #33

We went through a similar decision process. Went for the 28RLS. The underbelly enclosure does protect better, the material quality and fit seemed better, the larger tanks, and general feel of things seemed better on the 28RLS. Go for the bigger a/c. We looked at the quality of the ceiling ducts/vents. They seemed a bit better on the 28RLS. But of course this was our findings and opinions - your mileage may vary. Hope this helps. Oh, btw the sales guy told us the a/c on any RV would be stressed to keep up on hotter climates. He recommended upgrading to a dual a/c 50amp setup if you're spending a lot of time in hotter climates.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2017 Jayco 28RLS
2018 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.2L Gas
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Greg&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #34

One more thing - consider trade in value down the line when you trade up... You will. 😁

2017 Jayco 28RLS
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Old 03-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg&Nancy View Post
One more thing - consider trade in value down the line when you trade up... You will. ��

Do you mean by having the 2nd ac unit and 50amp or just in general?

I'm looking at a custom build now to get the 2nd ac unit. Pretty set on the 28RLS now.

Any options you bought but weren't worth it? Any that were totally worth it?

Thanks for you feedback btw.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #36

If you go to second a/c I believe you must go to a 50amp system. On your second question. Haven't been out camping enough to try everything yet. Starting our camping in April. With a big 3 week adventure starting in May. Might have some input on that later. We really love our 28RLS. It fits the two of us nicely.

2017 Jayco 28RLS
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Old 03-13-2017, 06:42 PM   #37

Well, we did it! Ordered a 28RLS with everything we wanted and nothing we didn't. I think we will have the last 28RLS to come of the line as a 2017. Looking forward to this in a couple months. Thank you guys for all of your help so far.

anonymous pictures website
Old 03-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #38

Outstanding! You have a nice rig there. Did you go for the table and chairs or dinette option?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2017 Jayco 28RLS
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Old 03-13-2017, 08:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg&Nancy View Post
Outstanding! You have a nice rig there. Did you go for the table and chairs or dinette option?

Wife actually preferred the dinette, and it saved a few bucks so I didn't complain even though I prefer the table and chairs look and potential space available there if needed

Being in the south and planning on going to the desert for our first big trip, I really wanted to get the ac situation sorted out so put some extra money there for the 15k unit, 50 amp and 2nd ac unit in the bedroom. That and the thermal package and Goodyear tires were my "practical" upgrades. I guess the grill was my splurge, but without an outdoor kitchen on this model I thought that kind of made sense. I skipped the cheap tv since I can pick up a better one with built in Roku for just north of $100 at Best Buy.

What options did you go for, and what do you like best?
Old 03-13-2017, 09:01 PM   #40

Got pretty much the same thing you did sans the 50amp and second a/c. Oh, and the Goodyears. Probably going to regret the cheapo tires that came with ours. Considering upgrading them before our big summer trip. We traveled to FL just after this past Christmas from where we live in WV (we're about 60 miles from DC) on our first longish trip. Thought about this tires the whole time. Kept it at 60mph just to be safe. Heading out to Mt Rushmore and Devil's Tower and back through Oshkosh and Upper Peninsula of Mich this summer. Think the tires will help me feel more confident.

2017 Jayco 28RLS
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch