Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-31-2015, 02:13 PM   #1

Noob with silly question - emergency exit windows

Hi! We just bought a 174BH. Two windows are marked Emergency Exit Only, and the dealer said not to open them because it would break the seal. I would like to open them for a bit more ventilation but I'm afraid I will break something if I do. Funny thing is, they both have screens on them as if they are meant to be opened. Why would Emergency Exit windows have screens if they were not meant to be opened? Thanks for your guidance.
Lorelei56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:24 PM   #2

There is no problem using those windows for ventilation. There is a screen over it is there not? What would be the point of a screen if the window was not to be used?

Sometimes just plain old common sense must be used. Some dealers come up short when it comes to understanding the products they sell.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:44 PM   #3

I use mine all the time. It's not pretty seeing me crawl in and out of the trailer through it though!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Have always used mine for ventilation. I was told by the dealer that if you push them out to far they will drop to the ground, allowing you an easier escape. I suppose the screen would have to be removed to push it that far, have never attempted that.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:05 PM   #5

Absolutely, you can use them for ventilation, if they have screens.

As for your dealer's advice, forget it. But I wonder how much other bogus advice they gave you!

And there are no silly questions here. You will get experienced people answering your questions here. Some are admonishments based on personal preference, but most are from plain hard facts - and "been there - done that - earned the merit badge" experience.

Welcome!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:43 PM   #6

Just a thought, I'm wondering if the dealer was referring to the actual emergency feature of the window? I believe the entire window assembly will pop out if used in the fashion intended for an emergency, thus breaking the "seal" around the window. Possibly fudging up the butyl tape or whatever they are using these days to seal the window assemblies in at the factory. So, he may just be saving you the hassle of reinstalling the assembly carefully as to insure a leak free window once again. Or, I may be wrong. It should open normally as all the other windows do, but has an added feature.

JB
Old 12-31-2015, 03:43 PM   #7

We have one like that in the bedroom. Just be aware that if propped open in a strong wind, that the window pane can blow open completely. Unlike the crank-style tilt-out windows, there is nothing to stop it from blowing farther open.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #8

Ok, thanks for all your help! Now for an even sillier question - what is the correct way to open them without having them pop out? There is some kind of arm on the right side and a red button on the left. Should I unhook the arm and press out a bit? They don't slide like my other windows.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:43 PM   #9

I believe that is the same latch mechanism I have in my 195RB Baja. To use them for ventilation you lift the red end of the handle up from it's little cradle and swing the arm out. Then you can push the arm out which will open the window. There is a notch that will catch just before the red end reaches the window frame. That's were you leave it for ventilation use. You remove the screen and keep pushing the red end out through the frame to use it as an emergency exit. Be careful not to twist too much on the arm when it's extended or it may start bending. We open ours all the time when camping in nice weather.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:53 PM   #10

I use ours for ventilation. I am wondering if it is normal for the little arms to be curved.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
We have one like that in the bedroom. Just be aware that if propped open in a strong wind, that the window pane can blow open completely. Unlike the crank-style tilt-out windows, there is nothing to stop it from blowing farther open.
Whoa, glad you mentioned that. I built a screen for my emergency exit so I could open it and just prop it open with a short piece of 1 by. Sounds like it should be bungied somewhere also to keep it from banging around. Thanks for the heads up Roamer.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:36 AM   #12

Thanks again! This forum is awesome.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:32 AM   #13

We use them on every trip...
djvmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei56 View Post
Hi! We just bought a 174BH. Two windows are marked Emergency Exit Only, and the dealer said not to open them because it would break the seal. I would like to open them for a bit more ventilation but I'm afraid I will break something if I do. Funny thing is, they both have screens on them as if they are meant to be opened. Why would Emergency Exit windows have screens if they were not meant to be opened? Thanks for your guidance.
The best advice I can give is to read the owners manual. Once digested, one will probably know more than 90% of RV owners.

Good salesmen in the RV business are far and few between.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:48 AM   #15
Site Team

What size are they. One of mine is marked emergency exit and slides open. It is large enough for an adult to climb out.

We use it all the time with the screen closed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #16

There are several different designs of these emergency exit windows so not all the information provided so far applies to all exit windows. Best thing I can suggest is to play with your particular window but be sure to have someone outside to help until you figure it out. I think most all of them will fall off the hinges if extended to far.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
Just a thought, I'm wondering if the dealer was referring to the actual emergency feature of the window? I believe the entire window assembly will pop out if used in the fashion intended for an emergency, thus breaking the "seal" around the window. Possibly fudging up the butyl tape or whatever they are using these days to seal the window assemblies in at the factory. So, he may just be saving you the hassle of reinstalling the assembly carefully as to insure a leak free window once again. Or, I may be wrong. It should open normally as all the other windows do, but has an added feature.

JB
The window frame stays in place. It's only the swinging window pane that moves..so there shouldn't be any damage to the butyl tape, unless it gets damaged from you actually climbing out the window..
On my trailer, the window panes just swing on the hinge and do not 'fall out' or 'drop' out but I haven't opened them past the parallel to ground mark..

That being said, to the OP, I use both my emergency windows for ventilation.
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
There are several different designs of these emergency exit windows so not all the information provided so far applies to all exit windows. Best thing I can suggest is to play with your particular window but be sure to have someone outside to help until you figure it out. I think most all of them will fall off the hinges if extended to far.
X2. Even go one step further and try climbing out.. I made my 4 year old practice a few times from the lower bunk emergency window. Just had to place a chair or table on the outside of the window for him to 'step down to' on his way out..
The Wife refused to try.... This spring I will teach my soon to be 3 year old the same skill..
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:10 AM   #19

Hopefully no one will ever have to actually use their emergency window. However, if you do, it might be rough climbing over the window sill. In case of a middle of the night bedroom escape, open the window and throw your blanket on the sill for padding.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #20
Site Team

Something that need to be said concerning Emergency windows, etc.

Every family needs to have a plan that all are aware of, even the smallest of children.
A meeting place needs to be agreed on that in case of an emergency, all will meet there.
Everyone should know where and how to use a fire extinguisher and how and where to get out of emergency windows.

Most important is to get out and fast. That's why the extinguisher is at the door to be grabbed on the way out.

Most important make sure everyone is out. You only have seconds to respond to a fire in a rv. Smoke can be lethal in just a few seconds.

Not to scare you but to keep you alive.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote