Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #1

Norcold Fridge door

We have a 2018 whitehawk... our Norcold fridge door won’t latch or stay shut. Took it to the dealer before our trip. Seemed to be functioning properly when we picked it up, but now won’t latch anymore. Anyone know a fix for this. We just headed off on a cross country trip.
Roadtrippinyorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrippinyorks View Post
We have a 2018 whitehawk... our Norcold fridge door won’t latch or stay shut. Took it to the dealer before our trip. Seemed to be functioning properly when we picked it up, but now won’t latch anymore. Anyone know a fix for this. We just headed off on a cross country trip.
try gently pushing up on the door while closing it, there's a known issue with too much weight in the doors bending the lousy door hinges so they don't close right. They make a hinge kit to fix the issue.

JeremyFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyFr View Post
try gently pushing up on the door while closing it, there's a known issue with too much weight in the doors bending the lousy door hinges so they don't close right. They make a hinge kit to fix the issue.
Thank you! I’ll give that a try and check into hinge kit, too
Roadtrippinyorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Be sure the latch moves smoothly (use some silicone) and look of the latch tap lines up with the latch plate. If not adjust.

For safety use a bungee or a homemade latch over the doors for travel.

'Innovation"
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #5

we have the same problem, if you put weight on the door it doesn't catch, wifey put some safety latch things on there to help out, any links on the kit?
Old 06-23-2018, 04:54 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
There are a few methods to keep both doors locked besides the bungee.

You can drill out the slot plate to compensate for the existing lockslides.
Cons; if someone pulls the door without knowing the are in locked positions, they will break (plastic)

Since the Trim is flash with the doors, I installed a piece of black molding the size of the trim in width and 2 cm long and drilled a small pilot hole for the #8 screw 1/2" from one end. Installed a rubber washer behind the homemade latch. It keeps both doors locked in place and also looks a part of the trim.

It used to be with older Fridges they had a locking latch over the door, but that might be back in the 70's or 80's.

Good luck with preventing a Fridge disaster.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrippinyorks View Post
Thank you! I’ll give that a try and check into hinge kit, too
I have the Norcold N1095 and I have installed the lower hinge Retrofit Kit. I got the kit from Amazon: Norcold 634166 Door Hinge Retrofit Kit. I originally installed this kit on my original door and didn't notice the lower hinge was already cracked. A few months later the already cracked hinge (plastic) failed. I then replaced the entire door since you can't just replace this lower plastic hinge and then installed the retrofit kit on the new door. Hopefully this issue won't happen again, but now I also NEVER travel with weight in the door. I move everything to one of the shelves for all travel. The last picture shows the broken plastic hinge before replacement. The retrofit kit was all that was holding the lower door hinge in place after the plastic part failed.
Attached Thumbnails
2.jpg   3.jpg   20170923_060737.jpg  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:46 AM   #8

Had this exact problem, second weekend camping, and it sits at a seasonal site. My fix consisted of taking door off and using assume rubber washer maybe a 1/4 inch in height lucked out and the inside diameter was the same as the fridge. Lifted the door up enough to get it to latch. Will let the dealer fix it come fall with a few other things.
Kyleorsini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:15 PM   #9

The fridge latch is a short "very short" piece of plactic that when the release mechanism "handle" is pressed, retracts.
HOWEVER and a big however, Jayco QC sucks, if you look "with a flashlight" where the plastic latch recesses into when foor is closed is a hole about 3/16 in diameter hole. If the hole is to far from the latch plastic piece it will not catch.
Corrective action, remove 2 screws from latch mechanism and shim the mechanism higher or shim the catch piece above "where the hole is" lower.

This will allow the plastic pin to insert into the hole and catch.
Shoddy design..��
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:24 PM   #10

We're having the same issue with our Norcold fridge and need to replace the door. Just wondering if you got yours through the company directly or did you have to go through your dealer?
‘19 Jayco Greyhawk 26Y
2 GSD’s
BoutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoutTime View Post
We're having the same issue with our Norcold fridge and need to replace the door. Just wondering if you got yours through the company directly or did you have to go through your dealer?
I bought my replacement door at Amazon. I got the part number from my dealer. The wood look front panel moved from the old door to the new one.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge door latch, norcold