Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2016, 08:07 PM   #1

Norcold fridge tip

Hi, the other day when leaving my campsite I tried to start my fridge on propane. Wouldn't light, couldn't even hear the igniter. Indicator lights were on as if everything were okay. I pulled the outside vent cover off and noticed the small condensation catch tray filled with water right to the top. During my walk-through the service tech told me it would evaporate before it ever got full, I now know that it won't. The hose that runs to the tray is long enough to just stick it through the vent like they used to do, so I went old school and won't have to worry about it anymore. Spilling water inside there on the bare wood would not be a good thing. The fridge managed to mysteriously light the burner too, never did hear the igniter. I'll have to keep an eye on that.
mikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:14 PM   #2

Don't know what the deal is with yours, but my fridge never leaks water out the tube unless I turn it off. I presume whatever is coming off is from melting ice.

Are you in a really humid environment? Kids keep the door open a lot?
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:42 AM   #3

It was pretty humid while I was out. Fins in upper part of fridge were icy. With my other trailers that had the tube just sticking out I would see a little water dripping out and was a bit surprised to see the tray full with this fridge. Just glad I caught it before it started getting things wet inside the rear area. No worries letting it get outside.
mikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:28 AM   #4
Site Team

When I got my first Norcold with this unit, I noticed the same thing. It would fill up and over flow on extended trips and when turned off.

My solution was the same as yours. Reroute the hose outside the cover like the old Dometic brand.. I never have to even look at it but just remember to route the hose out as you close the cover.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #5

Mine's new and Norcold is new to me. I live and camp in humid conditions. I'll be looking for that. These forums are really great for sharing knowledge and experiences. Thanks to all of you for sharing yours!
Old 08-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #6

My salesman did this for me during my walk around.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #7

I find this interesting too. I bought my 2012 used. I found the drain tube tucked behind the fridge cover. The end has a removable plastic plug.
I assumed it worked the same way as my previous trailer, so when I camp I remove the plug and route it out the vent cover. I plug it and tuck it away when travelling.
Many of my assumptions turn out to be wrong (according to my wife) so perhaps I have this one wrong too?
I did notice water in the drain pan on our last outing in hot, humid temps, so I figured the drain hose was needed, and was just tucked away for aesthetics.
Camp Winican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #8
Site Team

The plug on the end should stay in place. It has venting and keeps the little critters from getting in. It need to be cleaned/ blown out as a routine every now and again.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 08-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
The plug on the end should stay in place. It has venting and keeps the little critters from getting in. It need to be cleaned/ blown out as a routine every now and again.
Thanks, I was wondering about that... so do people normally just tuck the hose away when they are travelling?
Camp Winican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #10

NOPE, I leave mine slightly sticking out of the panel. (maybe about 1 inch) ALL the time.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #11
Site Team

I leave it out all the time. One less thing to remember.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 08-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #12

Norcold Fridge Tip

I wonder if the owners manual makes any reference to the tube and how it should be routed....anyone have their manual handy?
Old 08-29-2016, 05:52 PM   #13
Site Team

Norcold has a small drain pan in theirs. That is where mine was routed. It routinely overflows and makes a wet mess in the back,
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 08-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #14

I've never noticed water in the drip pan. I wonder if that's because I leave the refer on all the time? Maybe the gas burner aids in evaporation and whenever we're on the road the gas is running the refer.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:44 PM   #15

Thumbs up Not so sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I've never noticed water in the drip pan. I wonder if that's because I leave the refer on all the time? Maybe the gas burner aids in evaporation and whenever we're on the road the gas is running the refer.
Just got back from a 5 day trip.

Used the propane enroute and return travel (250 miles each way). Used the provided electricity in camp.

Upon inspection today, I found the drip pan/scupper was full. Thankfully, no water damage to the plywood below the cooling unit. Hose has been rerouted.
Thanks for the tip!!!!

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:50 AM   #16

Was it full after you got home and shut down the refer? I thought the water in the pan was from melting frost on the cooling fins inside the refer. If I keep the refer on there is no melting until shut down which I never do.

I'll have to take a look. Our trips are usually long. Last one was 45 days and 5,000 miles round trip. That's how most of our trips are and I leave the refer on between trips too.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:08 AM   #17

Hohenwald,
We arrived home , emptied the frig, and shutoff the propane and power on Monday afternoon. Tuesday afternoon, I found it full of water.

We were camping on the bank of the Frio River and it was humid.

Hope that answers your questions.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
Hohenwald,
We arrived home , emptied the frig, and shutoff the propane and power on Monday afternoon. Tuesday afternoon, I found it full of water.

We were camping on the bank of the Frio River and it was humid.

Hope that answers your questions.
That must be the reason I don't ever have any issue. When you shut it off the cooling fins defrost and that water finds it's way into the catch can. Since I never shut mine off (except to defrost the whole unit) I never see the water.

Mystery solved. I think.