Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #1

Norcold Frig Problems

Hi Guys
I need help with my Nor cold 800 series frig.
I live in Arizona and the frig doesn't seam to want to cool. I have a Acurite wireless temperature monitor and the 24 hour readings range from 35 in the frig and 5 in the freezer about 7am when overnight low has been 78 to 50 in frig and 23 in the freezer about 7pm and the high for the day was 105++.

This has been the pattern for over a week and I have NOT opened the door once in the last week? And frig is set on max cold (5). I don't feel this is acceptable.

It is under warrantee so I took it in and after much push back they finally said
Nor Cold wants Jayco to install their cooling coil fan.

Do you folks think this work or am I expecting too much from it in this environment which makes me ask, how do folks camp in the heat?

Another question, can any tell me the correct position of thermistor i.e. which fin and where on the fin? the Google searches I have done have been confusing.
thanks in advance for any help
Chuck
78spster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #2

For What it's worth we experienced pretty much the same thing this weekend in St George Utah where it was 100 degrees give or take each day. When we left for the day and turned the AC off the fridge couldn't really keep up and crept into the 50's once we were back and the AC was on it would cool back down to acceptable temps. I just assumed our little fridge just wasn't up to the task of that heat, but I'm curious what others have to say, in case something may be wrong with it.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:28 PM   #3

Are you running on propane? If not give that a try and see if your situation improves. For what is worth I experience the same on shore power so I to am looking for a cure and better performance.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #4

A few others here have reported issues with poor cooling because of ventilation as well. Make sure that there is good airflow up the back of the unit and out the vent at the top. Some Jayco installations don't allow enough free airflow for the fridge to keep up with cooling, either by design or just poor installation.

Another recent post on here of a user who added a simple 12v fan at the base of the fridge forcing air up over the coils. They reported a great improvement in cooling with their modification. A switch allows it to be turned off if not required. Again, good (or improved) airflow on the working side of the fridge was the answer.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:02 PM   #5

If Norcold is willing to let Jayco install the fan, I'd be all over that!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #6

Check this out. I installed on into my NorCold refer and it cools faster, hold temps longer and cut down propane use. Also adds LED lighting.

https://smartrvproducts.com/

and an article that appeared in Trailer Life

https://smartrvproducts.com/wp-conte...4-Article1.pdf
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:11 PM   #7

I was having similar problems as you. I left the thermister on the same fin but slid it all the up.

I also bought one of the Camco fans that others recommended. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44123-F.../dp/B0006IX7TW We are starting on a vacation soon so I'm plugged in to shore power. I put 2 frozen gallon water jugs in to help get it started cooling. I've since taken them out and am now at 36 deg F. When we take off I'm going to throw some pre-cooled stuff in along with a couple of blue ice things.
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
Site Team

I have a small muffin fan in the back compartment on mine that blows upward and helps the air draft that occurs naturally when hot air rises.

That might help it cool some also.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #9

Hi Old skipper
I am currently running shore power, but I did try propane and had the same issues !
Old 09-05-2017, 06:58 PM   #10

Thanks Murff
The dealer is, as I understand getting the fan from Nor Cold and installing it. They told me that Nor Cold wanted Jayco to put in fans and Jayco choose not to. Also they said Jayco isn't giving them enough warrantee credit to do the installation but they will cover it for me anyway.
All in all they have been an excellent dealer I just wish I didn't have go to such lengths to convince them that the frig didn't work in the heat.
From the response it sound like other have heat issues I wonder how aware Jayco is?
Good luck to everyone
Old 09-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #11

Norcold Frig Problems

Similair issues when its hot 90+ and humid. Is your fridge in a slide? I have read that doesn't help. Mot even sure norcold recommends that. Mine is in slide.

Mine has a fan on the upper coil, I hot wired it to always run rather than be based on thermosister. Not loading the fridge a lot and internal circulator helps. I have read others put a box fan on the lower vent to force more air thru with good results.

My dealer tested and could not reproduce, said its fine. Gas seems a bit better, and when its real hot I make good use of the electric fridge in the outdoor kitchen for meats etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote