RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2021, 04:52 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Bayoutalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Highlands
Posts: 378
Norcold Refrigerator Help

My Norcold N811f is giving me fits. Every couple days the drip tray below the fins freezes and water dumps into the fridge. I've tried it on a couple different settings and still no luck. I have also cleaned and blown out the drip hose. This is a pain to clean all the inside when this happens. Anyone else having this issue? There is no problem with the cooling of the unit.
__________________
Cliff

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:08 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 511
How cold do you have the fridge? Do you have a thermometer in it? It has to be cold enough to freeze water, maybe try to run it a little warmer.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:05 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brownie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Greater Grand Rapids
Posts: 1,282
I had the same problem over the summer. Took the little black "plug" out of the discharge end and water just poured out! Decided to leave it out, and haven't had any water/ice accumulation since! Makes me wonder "what is that plug suppose to do?"
__________________
2013 Eagle 266RKS
2011 Ford F-150 w/3.5L Ecoboost & H.D. Tow Package
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:30 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bayoutalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Highlands
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
How cold do you have the fridge? Do you have a thermometer in it? It has to be cold enough to freeze water, maybe try to run it a little warmer.
No thermometer. It is definitely cold enough to freeze water. That's the problem, the water in the drip tray freezes in the referigerator section. I've tried it on 3-4 so far with no luck. I put it on 2 a couple days ago so I'm watching to make sure the freezer stays cold enough.
__________________
Cliff

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:34 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Bayoutalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Highlands
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
I had the same problem over the summer. Took the little black "plug" out of the discharge end and water just poured out! Decided to leave it out, and haven't had any water/ice accumulation since! Makes me wonder "what is that plug suppose to do?"
That little plug has been out for months now. The problem I'm having is the water freezes in the line at the back wall and then it can't drain. As the tray fills it freezes until it overflows.
__________________
Cliff

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:47 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
SmokerBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PNW
Posts: 2,795
Check the door seal for an airtight fit. If it's not sealing, a lot of humid air could be entering the fridge.
__________________
Bill
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:51 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Bayoutalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Highlands
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Check the door seal for an airtight fit. If it's not sealing, a lot of humid air could be entering the fridge.
The seal is fine. That was the first thing I checked. There is some reason the drain hole is freezing right at the back wall. Other than that, everything else seems normal.
__________________
Cliff

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:53 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 10,417
Check your thermistor, it might be too high on the fins, slide it down a tad. It may have also failed and needs to be replaced.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:11 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
ALJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sparwood, BC
Posts: 2,736
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
or the connection is poor, because of humid conditions
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-7000 lbs.
Dexter Axle Lift 4-9/16" - installed with sub-frame.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:29 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Bayoutalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Highlands
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Check your thermistor, it might be too high on the fins, slide it down a tad. It may have also failed and needs to be replaced.
Done and done. I spoke to Norcold about a cooling problem a while back and they had me do all that. As for as the fridge, otherwise it works normally. Actually it cools better than some others have said theirs does.
__________________
Cliff

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:46 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
ALJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sparwood, BC
Posts: 2,736
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The logic is: either your drain through the wall gives you problems and/or it freezes to hard in the Fridge Compartment. If the one doesn't work you can try the other. I rather think the temp in the Fridge Compartment is to cold, because it freezes the water, it means remove the slider (thermistor) down. I have worked on many off them and they are pretty full proof. Mine is running already for 15 years year round with only maintenance.
Also I have all the diagnostic equipment from Dinosaur related to my work.
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-7000 lbs.
Dexter Axle Lift 4-9/16" - installed with sub-frame.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:06 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Bayoutalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Highlands
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
The logic is: either your drain through the wall gives you problems and/or it freezes to hard in the Fridge Compartment. If the one doesn't work you can try the other. I rather think the temp in the Fridge Compartment is to cold, because it freezes the water, it means remove the slider (thermistor) down. I have worked on many off them and they are pretty full proof. Mine is running already for 15 years year round with only maintenance.
Also I have all the diagnostic equipment from Dinosaur related to my work.
I've moved the thermistor to several different spots with no change. I spoke to Norcold and they said that moving it up or down makes no difference but side to side does. From what I've seen that is true.

Obviously it is getting to cold in the area of the drain hose. The question is why?
__________________
Cliff

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:58 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
ALJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sparwood, BC
Posts: 2,736
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The only thing you can do next is bench test, because you cannot access the Fridge in the back. It is a little extra work to disconnect everything and with the help of an extra person it is not that bad (have removed them by myself out an RV a couple times.
Don't know how much experience your Norgold guy has, but at present they use only a slider thermistor to change temperature on Dometic and Norgold's, yes even move to another alum.fin can make a bit different. Normal position is about 1/3 of the sidewall.

Be sure the contact area of the thermistor is clean. And order a new thermistor for that model fridge if you feel that is the cause. Temp in Fridge comp should be less than 8 C (46.4 F) but above freezing.
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-7000 lbs.
Dexter Axle Lift 4-9/16" - installed with sub-frame.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:55 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Bayoutalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Highlands
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
The only thing you can do next is bench test, because you cannot access the Fridge in the back. It is a little extra work to disconnect everything and with the help of an extra person it is not that bad (have removed them by myself out an RV a couple times.
Don't know how much experience your Norgold guy has, but at present they use only a slider thermistor to change temperature on Dometic and Norgold's, yes even move to another alum.fin can make a bit different. Normal position is about 1/3 of the sidewall.

Be sure the contact area of the thermistor is clean. And order a new thermistor for that model fridge if you feel that is the cause. Temp in Fridge comp should be less than 8 C (46.4 F) but above freezing.
I don't think the thermistor is the problem. The fridge cools like it should. I'm sure it's something with the drain tube. I went out and blew it out today and it was clear. There was water in the catch cup. I turned the temp down one more notch a couple days ago and so far it seems to be better. Only time will tell.
__________________
Cliff

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.