Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-24-2015, 07:56 AM   #1

Ohio - Salt Fork State Park - Winter Camping

We are planning a trip to Florida in February driving from Toronto down I-77 (running south from Cleveland to Charlotte). We are trying to avoid the cost of hotels, and I have found that many Ohio State Parks are open year round. It looks like Salt Fork State Park is in a good location for our first night and is only about 15 mins from the highway. Just wondering if anyone has stayed there, particularly during the winter months and can offer any advice? Really looking at it as someplace to plug in so that I have the peace of mind that the furnace doesn't run the battery down through the night.
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:13 AM   #2

Well its near 70 on Christmas eve this year. For the overnite, just pick a WWorld usually located near an interstate exit. Flat, level, well lighted, and usually has security in the parking lot. Good time to restock with most stores open 24/7. Up in the am whenever and grab breakfast at a restaurant usually available in the shopping complex and then you are heading on down the road. No check in, no set up, no camp fee; just park, shop, and sleep.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Well its near 70 on Christmas eve this year. For the overnite, just pick a WWorld usually located near an interstate exit. Flat, level, well lighted, and usually has security in the parking lot. Good time to restock with most stores open 24/7. Up in the am whenever and grab breakfast at a restaurant usually available in the shopping complex and then you are heading on down the road. No check in, no set up, no camp fee; just park, shop, and sleep.
Thanks...I agree, strange Christmas this year with it being so warm - even for us in the land of ice and snowmobile factories - it was 60F overnight in Toronto.

For my trip though, I am thinking ahead and planning for a typical February night in the Pittsburgh/Columbus area of 20F. I only have a 5 month old dealer installed 65AH battery and don't think it will last the night if the furnace is running hard. I was looking at buying another battery or two so that I wouldn't have to worry about getting up at 3am to start the truck and letting it idle until morning, until my Scottish ancestry (aka penny pinching) came into play. To me, the least amount of hassle and expense is to pay the $25 at the state park and get the AC plug-in plus access to a heated washroom/shower, which also takes away the need to carry any water on board.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #4
Site Team

Good thinking. No telling what it will be by Feb.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:58 AM   #5

Stayed there last year in May - planning to go back this year. It is a nice park and CG. Dump stations and water fill on the road to the sites. They have electric only. As long as they have the bath house open and heated in the winter, you will be good to go...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #6

The dealer oem battery is junk as you pointed out. You will need to bite the bullet eventually, seems it would make sence to do it before a major trip. A new battery or for that matter a pair of them would open options to you other than a shorepower hook up on the way south. As a suggestion, I'll take a guess and say that batteries likely cost less in the US than Canada?? If yes, you might stop at an interstate or other battery shop. I'm not real high on Wally W batteries.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #7
Site Team

For the best, accurate and the most up-to-date answers to your questions click on the link below to the Ohio State Parks website (Salt Fork).

Ohio State Parks - Salt Fork State Park

I've camped at Salt Fork and the park has full hookups. However in February, there could be limitations on those, bath/shower houses and other amenities. The entrance to the park is on US-22.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
For the best, accurate and the most up-to-date answers to your questions click on the link below to the Ohio State Parks website (Salt Fork).

Ohio State Parks - Salt Fork State Park

I've camped at Salt Fork and the park has full hookups. However in February, there could be limitations on those, bath/shower houses and other amenities. The entrance to the park is on US-22.
Thanks...had hit the State Park website. Was looking to see if anyone had actually experienced it in the winter...advertising isn't always reality.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #9

According to the website, they have year around water [to fill tanks] and shower facilities. It also shows what sites are available on a first come, first serve basis. Looks like a really nice place. Of course in February, the weather will dictate a lot of your decision making. Best of luck.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #10
Site Team

Seems like I remember staying in Ohio SP's, you make a reservation and pick your site when you arrive. That may have changed. I also remember getting a Passport America discount.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote