Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2017, 09:08 PM   #1

One battery or two?

Whitehawk on order with single battery. Should I automatically add a second or what use the rig a few times? Will use hook steps most of the time.

Thanks

Steve
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #2

Depends on how much boon docking you plan on doing and for how long.
When boon docking, I carry 2 Yamaha 2000 generators. Most of the time, I only need one but when running the generator, I run 2 in parallel.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdomino View Post
Whitehawk on order with single battery. Should I automatically add a second or what use the rig a few times? Will use hook steps most of the time.

Thanks

Steve
I assume you mean hook ups.. In that case one is probably enough. It is needed for your emergency brakes, and operation of some appliances while driving.. ie frig uses 12 vote when on propane, different monitors, radio and perhaps other "things" while traveling. You may want to stop and make lunch, use the lights or use the potty... one battery would be fine for that. If your going to run off your battery for any length of time, than you would want two. Especially if your going to use your furnace while boon docking.

Enjoy your new Rig !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I assume you mean hook ups.. In that case one is probably enough. It is needed for your emergency brakes, and operation of some appliances while driving.. ie frig uses 12 vote when on propane, different monitors, radio and perhaps other "things" while traveling. You may want to stop and make lunch, use the lights or use the potty... one battery would be fine for that. If your going to run off your battery for any length of time, than you would want two. Especially if your going to use your furnace while boon docking.

Enjoy your new Rig !
X2

The real question is how much boondocking do you do and for how long. I don't boondock as much as I like to. I have one battery on the htt. I have another in the garage, when we boondock, I bring it along, when the on board battery gets weak, I place the fresh battery on the ground and connect it up.

Works for me, and keeps my tongue weight down.

My spare group 27 battery fits nicely in a milk crate. It's easy to carry, more importantly easy to secure in the bed of the truck.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:28 AM   #5

As mentioned, depends on how much boondocking (off the grid) camping you will actually do.

One thing you should consider is a battery cut off switch for between trips, unless you will keep the rig plugged in at home. The co/ propane detector, radio, etc will kill a battery in no time if the tt is not plugged in. Check my mods link for pics on my switch set up. Blue Sea Mini Switch mounted in a larger battery box (still a group 24 battery), works great so far preventing the battery from discharging.

For your wdh, make sure you get the correct rated wd bars for the loaded tw (tongue weight), and not based on the "brochure" dry tongue/bitch weight.

Hope all goes well with the order!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #6

I do no boondocking. Except at college football games where generators run 24/7. One battery is all I have ever needed.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #7

Our boondocking is limited to an occasional night in a parking lot while traveling. Any more often than that and I'd pack a 2nd one like jagiven said.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #8

On my old trailer (27ft Wilderness)we used two golf cart six volt batteries hooked up in series? (not sure of the terminology here ) or in parallel ?? any way we would spend very long weekends three to four days dry camping out in the Anza Borrego desert and never had battery issues. We used the lights,radio and furnace with out problems ever. Of course we could not use a/c or microwave but other than that we were fine.
timnsusie is offline   Reply With Quote