Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #1

Thumbs up One of the First Things to Buy for a New Camper

Look into buying you a pair of X-Chock Tire Locking Chocks. They were one of my first purchases, but I must tell you one of my best. They really help with camper jiggle and most importantly you do not have to worry about your camper rolling after you unhook from your tow vehicle. I personally witnessed a 5th wheeler being uncoupled and it rolled back and crunched the bed of the tow veh.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yddad45 View Post
They really help with camper jiggle and most importantly you do not have to worry about your camper rolling after you unhook from your tow vehicle.
Yikes, well, if your tires are "cold" you may not have to worry about movement (slight roll)..... Let me share a mistake we made (from an ealier post)....

---------------

Hi Lou, I posted this below a few weeks back. A big mistake if you travel all day in the hot sun and forget the tires heat and swell is to rely solely on the X-chocks as the tires reduce in size while cooling off. We were not on a "level site" when the tt shifted putting lotsa pressure on the stabilizers and tongue (we were lucky, no damage) . The first thing we do now is chock the tires and secondary is install x-chocks with lock for security and reduce tt movement - we set the timer for 30 minutes and to remind us to go back and tighten down the x-chocks . Here's what I shared earlier (what we jokingly refer to as our "bonehead moment") LOL .....

"YUP!!! We arrived really late into a cg after traveling all day. We were tired and although we installed the Bal-X chocks, neither of us put down chalks in front/back of tires. Half an hour later, the tt rolled a little putting a lot of pressure on those poor stabilizers! The tires heated from a full day of desert highway travel had cooled and reduced in size! Mistake we won't make again! And we now are always sure to re-tighten down the Bal-X after an hour or so."

-----

Hope sharing the above is helpful somehow
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #3

I have not personally had any trouble with the X chocks but will keep closer look at while camping, thanks Healthi
Old 04-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #4

Old 04-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #5

Keep in mind that it's better to set up the x-chocks AFTER you have set down all of the jacks and leveled the trailer out (which is after the trailer is unhooked from the truck 99% of the time). A lot of angles change when you level out the trailer, and it puts undue stress on the suspension of you already have your x-chocks installed. This also allows for a bit of time for the tires to cool off.

Next time you set up, do this - put your standard chocks on both sides of the same tire and then go level your trailer. When you're done, it'll look like someone moved the two chocks.
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #6

Are they hard to use with the tightening nut on the top or bottom - hard to access it? Do you use a socket wrench?
llerberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Yikes, well, if your tires are "cold" you may not have to worry about movement (slight roll)..... Let me share a mistake we made (from an ealier post)....

---------------

Hi Lou, I posted this below a few weeks back. A big mistake if you travel all day in the hot sun and forget the tires heat and swell is to rely solely on the X-chocks as the tires reduce in size while cooling off. We were not on a "level site" when the tt shifted putting lotsa pressure on the stabilizers and tongue (we were lucky, no damage) . The first thing we do now is chock the tires and secondary is install x-chocks with lock for security and reduce tt movement - we set the timer for 30 minutes and to remind us to go back and tighten down the x-chocks . Here's what I shared earlier (what we jokingly refer to as our "bonehead moment") LOL .....

"YUP!!! We arrived really late into a cg after traveling all day. We were tired and although we installed the Bal-X chocks, neither of us put down chalks in front/back of tires. Half an hour later, the tt rolled a little putting a lot of pressure on those poor stabilizers! The tires heated from a full day of desert highway travel had cooled and reduced in size! Mistake we won't make again! And we now are always sure to re-tighten down the Bal-X after an hour or so."

-----

Hope sharing the above is helpful somehow
wondering about the lock for security Did your x chocks come with a lock or is this something u added
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by llerberg View Post
Are they hard to use with the tightening nut on the top or bottom - hard to access it? Do you use a socket wrench?
Nope, easy to access the top adjusting lugnut, and they come with their own ratchet.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #9

Just remember to do the Bal chocks before you run out the slides. It is a pia to crawl under the slides to install the chocks.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #10

Bought the X Chocks after a "rolling incident" in Michigan. 100% satisfied. Have never experienced tire shrinkage which causes them to come loose but will keep an eye on it. One of the best investments I ever made.
Jim_in_WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
wondering about the lock for security Did your x chocks come with a lock or is this something u added
Locks came with our x-chocks. Cheepies, but serve as just one more hoop a thief would have to go through to take off with the tt or steal the chocks. We usually don't lock them until we re-tighten the chocks usually a half hour later as we usually have swelled tires when parking from a long day's travel

A ratchet also came with each one. We place the chocks so we can tighten them from the top of the chock.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #12

One of the First Things to Buy for a New Camper

Question.. when using the x-chock is a chock required on both sides of the TT or is one sufficient?
tman5781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #13

We have two sets
Old 04-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #14

I think two is the best way to go. I thought I bought them as a pair but I can't recall.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by llerberg View Post

I set them up for use on the top. As related in some other posts. They come with a handy ratchet. Which in emergency situations fits most stabilizer jacks from my understanding.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #16

I would recommend two. You can't stabilize your camper too much. I'm big on trying stop the jiggle as much as possible. Nothing more aggrivating lying in bed and feeling the jiggle deep into the back of your neck, I have teenagers.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #17

From my experince one helps a lot. At first we just had one. Then I found another at a swap meet and I bought it. (saved a lot of $$). The second one didn't make as much difference as the first. My next move is to buy two more stabilizers.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #18

Anyone got information on these things:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...stabilizer.htm

They look handy but I have yet to see anyone using them.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #19

I think I'm going to go with the Steadyfast system. It is simpler, easier to install, and easier to maintain, etc. I've read a lot of good reviews over the past month and am hoping to order in the next couple of weeks. Have a long trip planned in June and want them functional by then.

That said, I've heard very good things about the JT setup as well. I think either way you go will product good results.

http://www.steadyfast.com/index.html
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #20

Yup got a set on my 5er and they are awsome.