Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2017, 09:56 AM   #1

Open Breaker or Disconnect Bat Terminal

For winter storage,

1. Does a battery terminal need to be disconnected or is opening the main breaker enough?

2. Should I empty the freshwater tank or fill and add some bleach?

We live in the Sacramento area and generally don't have hard freezes in the winter.
triangulum33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangulum33 View Post
For winter storage,

1. Does a battery terminal need to be disconnected or is opening the main breaker enough?

We live in the Sacramento area and generally don't have hard freezes in the winter.
We are in Phoenix and always empty fresh water tank,unless I forget!Since we are all solar we never disconnect are batteries.Sorry on battery question.
Attached Thumbnails
Lake Plesant.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #3

Quote:
For winter storage,

I remove my battery completely so I can maintain a charge on it during the winter. I never leave water in my freshwater tank for any extended time period...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:46 AM   #4

Thanks!
triangulum33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #5

Quote:
For winter storage,

For lots of units, disconnecting the battery is the only way to be sure parasitic loads don't drain your battery completely and ruin it.

Empty your fresh water tank and winterize your unit if you want to sleep well on those nights/days that drop to or lower than 'generally'.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:28 PM   #6

you will need to sanitize the water tank next year anyway or every 6 months.. just because you add bleach now won't make it good for that long.. bleach looses it's effectiveness over time...

take off the neg bat lead and put on a trickle charger... you are good to go.. or you can open the main breaker.. either works...

preventative maintenance would be to clean all the battery connections in the spring anyway...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #7

Opening the "main breaker" will disconnect all the 120v loads. To stop parasitic 12volt loads one of three things need to be done: Install a battery disconnect switch, disconnect the battery or remove all the fuses from the converter. I installed a battery disconnect switch in my tent trailer, travel trailer and now in my motorhome and maintain all my batteries in periods of non-use with a Deltran Battery Tender for the group 27 batteries and a NOCO Genius for my J185 batteries.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #8

I agree with Vicr just install a battery disconnect switch. Its a simple cheap job and with a quick turn of the switch the battery is isolated.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:56 PM   #9

I take the battery out and take it home to trickle charge it so it does not grow feet while I am away.

Winterizing and de-winterizing is a 30 minute job once you get the hang of it and I agree you sleep better on a surprise freeze.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:44 PM   #10

We live in Milpitas, much cooler in summer, winter about the same. Always drain the fresh water tank and always take the battery home to put it on a trickle charger. If your TT is in a storage facility, batteries have been known to be "exchanged."
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:44 PM   #11

Another +1 for not leaving fresh water in the tanks. You don't want anything nasty to grow in there.

Also agree that you want to completely disconnect the battery and not assume that flicking the breaker off is going to shut off every system. Remember it doesn't take much of a draw to drain a battery when we are talking about weeks of time. Best way is to install a battery disconnect switch, but until you have time to do that, just removing the wire from the battery terminal is fine.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote

« covers | 324bhts »