Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2020, 04:12 PM   #1

Open Windows ?

About 107 outside and my trailer windows are closed stored at my house.

Would it make any difference if a few are opened?

I guess I could check the temp inside.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2020, 04:20 PM   #2

What is the humidity? If the humidity is low open a window and roof vent to allow some air to circulate. If the humidity is high, is there a way to get power and turn on the AC to de dehumidify the trailer. High humidity will cause all kinds of issues.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:24 PM   #3

I live in AZ and have my TT plugged in at home. Anytime the temps are above 100 degrees I run the A/C in the trailer. I have the thermostat set at 95 degrees. I also have a 5 gallon bucket filled with water set inside to provide some humidity. You risk some damage when it gets so hot; warped doors, split wood, turning plastic trim brittle, etc. The excessive heat is just as damaging as freezing cold.

I figure the few extra bucks spent on the electric bill every month is worth it. Opening a few windows really won’t offer much protection. Just my $0.02..

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #4
Site Team

I use a residential dehumidifier in mine and leave it closed up during the humid months in our part of the country.

If the weather was less humid, I would go for some air circulation.

We have no problems with mildew or mold since we purchased it. We check and drain the tank every few days. Often it fills and shuts itself off with removed moisture.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
I live in AZ and have my TT plugged in at home. Anytime the temps are above 100 degrees I run the A/C in the trailer. I have the thermostat set at 95 degrees. I also have a 5 gallon bucket filled with water set inside to provide some humidity. You risk some damage when it gets so hot; warped doors, split wood, turning plastic trim brittle, etc. The excessive heat is just as damaging as freezing cold.

I figure the few extra bucks spent on the electric bill every month is worth it. Opening a few windows really won’t offer much protection. Just my $0.02..

Interesting, in 20+ years of RVing out of Phoenix, and three previous rigs stored in RV storage, and temps of now 118 degrees I never had heat damage to the inside of the rigs and it is a dry heat most of the year. I know that many do put buckets of water inside but I never have and have had no issues. Now sun damage is another issue. If you are parked out in the sun good luck with your finish.

When I bring the rig to the house for loading I turn the vent fans on and crack a window or two but if it is 115 outside, you are not going to get it below 115 unless you turn on the air conditioner.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Interesting, in 20+ years of RVing out of Phoenix, and three previous rigs stored in RV storage, and temps of now 118 degrees I never had heat damage to the inside of the rigs and it is a dry heat most of the year. I know that many do put buckets of water inside but I never have and have had no issues.
I have 2 neighbors who did the same as you, and both had problems with doors inside the RV getting warped so they wouldn't close properly...they now also run their A/C's when it gets extremely hot.

I started that practice when we had a Condo in Lake Havasu City. When we bought it the realtor warned us about the brutal summer heat and suggested running the A/C when we were gone for an extended period of time. We only used it on weekends so while we were gone the thermostat was set at 90. Our neighbor only used theirs in the Winter, during the summer it was closed up tight. The second winter when the returned they also had many problems inside caused by the excessive heat. We were in Havasu the day they set the record for the highest temp in the Nation, 128 degrees on June 29,1994!

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:41 PM   #7
CAG

I am sure there are horror stories but the warped doors and other problems that I saw were from people running swamp cooling. Heat dry rots but warp, not likely. Now moisture will warp it good. Air conditioning drys things out. It removes moisture from the air, it does not add it.

With houses it is always better to leave the A/C running if you are leaving for the summer. It can get pretty warm in a house with no A/C here. 1994? You're new here aren't you? (as Clay Thompson always said of snowbirds).

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:32 AM   #8

Low humidity here.
Trailer is parked on a slope so not sure about running A/C?

Will check the inside today.

Thanks!