Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #1

Question Opening the underbelly

Hey, Im a new jayco owner and was wondering how to access the under belly of the Jayco.... to install a tornado flushing system...any suggestions
would be helpfull.. Thanks
rvfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #2

Have you looked underneath yet? I was able to access my tank and install mine last weekend, the tanks are below the insulation and plastic.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #3

Yes, I went underneath, the entire underbelly is enclosed, no tanks exposed..
Old 07-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #4

Two options, either drop the whole underbelly or cut the underbelly on each side of holding tanks. On my first camping trip my black water flush started to leak, I took it back and had it repaired, I'm now on my second camping trip and it has started leaking again. I am planning on having my dealer install me a access panel so if this happens again I can get to it without dropping the whole underbelly, I hate not being able to being able to see why I have a leak without dropping the whole underbelly.
My thinking is if they install a piece of aluminum angle iron on each side of my holding tanks then cut a piece of underbelly material 12in larger than the whole ,bolt this to the angle iron I should have easy access if this happens again.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #5

We haven't gone into our underbelly yet, but we did contact Jayco and they sent the schematics for our tt including electrical, pipes, and tanks
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:26 PM   #6

Great idea!!!

I agree with you on not being able to see the underbelly and view the tanks as well as the other parts especially, if something goes wrong as in your case. An access panel sounds like it will do the trick... Great idea... Not feeling comfortable about cutting the underbelly.. taking the underbelly apart seems labor intensive and not sure where to start but, that's what I may have to do...
Old 07-28-2011, 11:32 PM   #7

Schematics

Thanks, for the info, i will contact Jayco and have them mail me the layout for underneath TT....
Old 07-29-2011, 06:42 AM   #8

I thought I remember another thread on this forum that said cutting into your underbelly would void your warranty? I also would like to install a tank tornado but thought it was not an option. Did anyone ask Jayco this question when they called?

Thanks
bgarv29BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #9

I would be very cautious about doing any significant modifications before your warranty is completely up. However...

My underbelly is enclosed as well - it looks as if at one point during construction jayco needed access for some reason & they simply cut into it. Once they were done whatever it was they were doing, it was taped back up using some sort of heavy duty black tape. They didn't cut a hole, simply 'slit' it and folded the underbelly aside to get access.

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarv29BHS View Post
I thought I remember another thread on this forum that said cutting into your underbelly would void your warranty? I also would like to install a tank tornado but thought it was not an option. Did anyone ask Jayco this question when they called?

Thanks
When I ordered my TT I had Jayco install a black tank flush. It only cost $185.00.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #11

When dealing with the enclosed under belly keep two things in mind:

1) The enclosure provides insulation against cold and heat penetration to your floor as well as the tanks. For those of us with the "artic" package, we can cold camp to 15 degrees or near zero, dependent upon RV age & package, without freezing up our holding tanks. It definately cuts down on the propane bill.

2) It also increases aero when towing. I had one saleman claim 4-5 years ago it would add 1 MPG. I have seen nothing to officially support this but common sense sez there is some truth in the argument.

If I ever have a problem that requires access to repair, I personally would go slow and methodically and do whatever it takes restore to @least factory delivery standard.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #12

Thumbs up Will check with dealership

I'm going to check with the dealership, since they deal with this issue Im sure all the time.. I dont want to take a chance on voiding my warranty, Thanks everyone for your input... was helpful and informative.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #13

Did you ever hear anything back from the dealer. Thanks
Old 08-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #14

Thats a bargan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc616 View Post
When I ordered my TT I had Jayco install a black tank flush. It only cost $185.00.
I had contacted the dealer where I purchased my Jay Feather Ultralite 242 and they wanted to charge me $506.50. That was just for labor since I had already purchased the Tornado online for considerably cheaper amount then what Camping World was selling it for. That was including my Good Sams club discount. I'm currently unscrewing my underbelly myself... cant see paying $119/hr for labor.
Texas Vet 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #15

Opening the underbelly

I did mine 2 weekends ago. Very easy. What model were you looking to do the install on. Mine was a 29bhs. Removed driver side rear jack and the screws to drop enough of the underbelly (about 10 screws).
Old 08-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #16

After dropping the underbelly and seeing how shallow my BW tank was, I decided this (the Tornado) may not be the best accessory for me to install. Although in principal its a great idea, since the deepest part of my tank is only about 6 inches or so, the Tornado would be right at the 2/3's full point. Mounting the Tornado high on the tank reduces risk of a leak. The how-to video demonstrates installing the system 2 inches down from the top of the tank. Unlike the video where they cut a 1 in hole, I'd have to cut an 1.25 diameter hole... IMO not ideal solution for my shallow 36gal BW setup.
Texas Vet 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote