Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2015, 05:37 PM   #21

I run with mine on since I don't wanna risk food spoil,i also run a 5" straight exhaust with a muffler no cat on it.(exhaust refrence from others complaining about going thru campground with exhaust on trucks) Either way people are gonna tell you your wrong or right.I doubt in a accident that the propane could fuel a fire due to excess flow check valves that are mandated now on all propane cylinders,yes in some odd condition happened you could fuel a small flame.How many grill fires happen a year and the tanks don't explode.I agree you should shut it off at a fuel stop,but at the same time conditions would have to be perfect for something to happen like that.I agree 100% on being safe on the roadways,especially with putting others at risk,but im sure this practice has been going on for years and will probably keep going on.

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:56 PM   #22
Site Team

With the way automobiles are getting smarter, I bet that in the NEAR future RV's will get smarter. I can see the day when you plug your RV's cable into the back of your TV a computer will turn off your propane tanks, put down your antenna, pull in your awning, the slide outs will retract automatically, your stairs will fold back into the RV automatically, the 30 second alarm will start sounding that the stabilizers will begin retracting in 1 minute, if the tongue jack is down or the shore power is still plugged in the TT will tell the TV not to allow the trans to be put in a gear and finally the fridge will lock keeping the driver out of the nice cold beer.

Ahhh, with GPS it may automatically turn off your propane when you enter a tunnel or a gas station..

Brace yourselves the future is closer than you think

Just my future thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #23

I too ran my 3 way fridge on propane while traveling to keep things cooled off, honestly never gave it to much thought, being the amount of gas ran was so small, it is hard enough to get the pilot lit with a open flame right on top most days, just my experience. But, not to say there is not a chance of a disaster. Does anyone know if the Pinnacle residential fridge will run on the 12 volt system with the 1000W inverter while driving, I know the fridge is not ran on propane. This is something I'm not clear about and cannot find in the manual anywhere.

2015 Pinnacle 36REQS
2010 F-350 Harley Davidson 6.4L Powerstroke
Short Box Crewcab
6" Procomp Suspension Lift & 35" M/T Toyo Tires
Doug & Nikki, 2 fur babies
Murphy & Chloe are Shar Pei
68 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:08 PM   #24

Some trailers have the three way fridge where you can run it off battery power, others only have electrical or gas. Mine is one of them, you have the auto or gas selctor, auto automatically switches it to gas when you unplug it from electricity.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:22 PM   #25

Slabat, the fridge in our unit does not run on gas at all. So not sure if the inverter will run it while travelling or it always needs to be hooked to shore power. I will start a thread, the others that own the same unit, could help me out, thanks.

2015 Pinnacle 36REQS
2010 F-350 Harley Davidson 6.4L Powerstroke
Short Box Crewcab
6" Procomp Suspension Lift & 35" M/T Toyo Tires
Doug & Nikki, 2 fur babies
Murphy & Chloe are Shar Pei
68 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:05 PM   #26

Hattie posted some links to other threads on this topic. Look up the laws regarding your state and the states you will travel in. Some states actually do have laws regarding propane tanks. With that said, I err on the side of safety. I chill my fridge the day prior to loading it. The food will stay cool and not spoil for 6 to 8 hours. However, read up on your refer unit and your trailer power unit. Some Dometic refers actually will operate on the 12V system at a very low level while the TV is hooked up and the engine is running. After the engine shuts off the refer will run an additional 30 minutes before shutting down or if you turn the propane on it will automatically switch over. I had a Komfort 5er that had one of these refer units. Unfortunately, when I washed cobwebs out of the outside back access with the unit plugged in, it shorted out the circuit board. Just replacing the board was almost $1k.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:57 PM   #27

I also travel with propane on. I have switched it to 12v a couple times, but have forgotten to switch it back on arrival at campsite. Tiz very annoying when the furnace will not run at night due to the fridge sucking the batteries dry. I now force it to propane only when travellng. (this is in our Northern Lite camper).I also need the propane on as we travel with the camper in winter and need to keep the furnace running to keep the water system defrosted. When travelling 60+mph when it is -35f, things need to be kept warm.
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:13 AM   #28

I suppose if you want to be totally safe one should stay in there house and never go out, but that could have it's own dangers. Don't drive an RV, a bicycle, or a car, or even be a pedestrian.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
With the way automobiles are getting smarter, I bet that in the NEAR future RV's will get smarter. I can see the day when you plug your RV's cable into the back of your TV a computer will turn off your propane tanks, put down your antenna, pull in your awning, the slide outs will retract automatically, your stairs will fold back into the RV automatically, the 30 second alarm will start sounding that the stabilizers will begin retracting in 1 minute, if the tongue jack is down or the shore power is still plugged in the TT will tell the TV not to allow the trans to be put in a gear and finally the fridge will lock keeping the driver out of the nice cold beer.

Ahhh, with GPS it may automatically turn off your propane when you enter a tunnel or a gas station..

Brace yourselves the future is closer than you think

Just my future thoughts,

Don
I'm certain there will be a way to disable that lock.....

Alicia and Glenn
Hartford (area), CT
2012 Nissan Pathfinder (V6)
2014 X18D
gvn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDad View Post
I suppose if you want to be totally safe one should stay in there house and never go out, but that could have it's own dangers. Don't drive an RV, a bicycle, or a car, or even be a pedestrian.
BINGO!

Winning the lottery has better odds than being hurt by towing an RV with the refrigerator running on propane. Even while refueling.

Gas vapors are heavier than are and will settle to the ground. In most cases this open flame is too high above the ground and too far away (20 feet or more) to present any danger.

The danger from some other idiot at the gas station would be of more concern.

This is another one of those things where people rely on what someone else has told them rather than based on facts and understanding. To each his own. Do what you feel is safest.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:52 AM   #31

I still believe propane should be off when traveling, when at our Jayco dealer picking up new 284 the shop manager stated while going through the trailer to always when traveling to shut off propane.. Maybe just as some say following 'manufacturers' requirements, maybe really simply common sense also as he pointed out several things that were not in the manual that were helpfull...
I mean really can a sealed system ever leak knowing that our road system is in such great condition.

Larry J
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #32

I am reminded of the line from the movie Pirates of the Caribbean, "it be more of a guideline than a rule".....
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:13 AM   #33

We have ours on electric while we're towing, and switch it to propane when we get where we're going. Saves on the propane that way, and no problems at gas stations.
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:01 AM   #34

Say, have you read about all the gas stations blowing up from fumes being ignited by RV refrigerators? No? Me either. In fact, I've never heard of that happening. I never shut my fridge off when traveling. Never. Not ignorant either, just able to think for myself, and understand what is or isn't a hazard.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-n-Ash View Post
We have ours on electric while we're towing, and switch it to propane when we get where we're going. Saves on the propane that way, and no problems at gas stations.
Not sure what make/model of fridge you have, but mine does not operate on 12V - only propane or shore power, that is, unless I'm missing something big. I can find no reference in my owner's manual or the fridge info in my packet that indicates I can run the fridge on electric while driving.

That said, I do know there are some - my Coleman popup was capable of operating on propane, 12V DC, and 120V AC. (But it had to be manually switched to any of those modes.)

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #36
Site Team

Some of the newer big rigs have a AC only fridge that is powered by a onboard inverter to convert 12dc to 120vac.

Could be that is his reference, don't know.

What I do know is most people that run theirs, including me, don't do it out of ignorance and it is not worth having a detailed discussion/ argument about why you do or don't. If I was going thru a tunnel or any area marked properly, I would obey the law.

If not illegal, it's a personal preference.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:02 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
If not illegal, it's a personal preference.
Here, here. So long as information is available and considered, the personal preference is a result of an educated decision based on both facts and experience - and shouldn't be challenged.

IMHO - although it IS a personal choice, IF additional facts (such as evolving rules, regulations, laws) come to light, it is worth adding to this or similar posts (6 others at this time) the links to that new factual information.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:11 PM   #38
Site Team

No disagreement Hattie. It just is not very productive to do anything but disagree on some items.
New information is certainly welcome. That is a productive addition to this discussion.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #39
Site Team

Poll and discussion on the subject:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...oll-15414.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #40

The residental (120v only) fridges do have 1000w inverters for them, this allows them to run off the TV battery supply while in tow. For those not familiar with inverters, they convert DC voltage to AC and in this case 12vdc to 120vac. If you have a genset then you could also run your fridge off that while in tow.
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane fridge