Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #1

Operating fridge while driving

I'm slightly confused on whether or not it is okay to run the fridge on propane while driving.
The owners manual says it depends on local laws in one chapter. In another it says not to and the fridge stays cold up to 8 hours.
Any advice on this subject would be greatfull.
lodiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #2

We always run our fridge when on the road. But a few things you must do. Shut off the fridge before entering the fuel pump area, and keep it off until you are clear of the pump area. Also, stay away from any lengthy tunnels when the fridge is on. Rule of thumb -- the propane flame of the fridge does not mix with explosive fumes, which you may or may not encounter in these situations.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #3

We have always had ours on as well, echo what David said about gas stations.

TT - 2015 Jay Flight 32TSBH
TV - 2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9L Cummins diesel
DetroitFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #4

I've run my fridge while driving in every one of the states you see marked in my signature, over a period of 20 years. There were a few long tunnels on the east coast that required I turn off all propane tanks and the fridge, but was able to easily reignite the fridge flame a few hours later at a rest stop.

David is correct about being aware of fumes in a fueling area. Sometimes you can fuel up without turning off the fridge. My Outback had the fridge on the right side of the rig and my gas cap is on the left (driver's) side. If I pulled in an end fuel pump, that put the flame on the other side and about 40' behind me - and nowhere near anyone else fueling. My new Jayco, though, has the fridge on the truck's fuel door side, so I will be turning the fridge off when I pull into a gas station, then turning it back on when I pull away.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #5

Please search this forum for there are multiple threads, with links to references, that you should review. For example:
  1. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ion-25483.html
  2. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ity-25133.html
  3. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ion-21944.html
  4. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...pane-7800.html
  5. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...ing-19361.html
  6. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...oll-15414.html

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #6

I tarvel with mine on all the time, I guess I have never turned it off while at a gas station filling either never thought about it. But I think from now on I will, all it takes is a spark to ignite a mess.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
I tarvel with mine on all the time, I guess I have never turned it off while at a gas station filling either never thought about it. But I think from now on I will, all it takes is a spark to ignite a mess.
Agreed! We shut our propane off while travelling in the interest of both people and vehicle safety, but you can't always trust the OTHER car or RV drivers to do the same. We've watched bikes and lawn chairs bouncing wildly, rigs going faster than their tires are rated, constant swerving in-and-out as opposed to staying in tow-lane, and just-plain road-rudeness like tailgating. All are invitations to disaster - and adding open propane tanks to the mix just isn't worth it.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #8
Site Team

We never drive with the Fridge running on propane. For the past 2 years having SOLAR, we leave it on electric (inverter) whether we are traveling or at the CG. One of the side benefits of solar. When I get a chance I will try to see how much amperage the TV provides the TT while traveling. With a 280Amp alternator there should be plenty left for the TT, but that skimpy wire from the TT's fuse (30 amp) box will be the only restriction.

Just my thoughts,

Don

Better to be safe than sorry.... turn it off.
..... x2 Hattie
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #9

I was wondering this as we were gearing up for our maiden voyage this weekend. After research I decided to leave it off. I went and turned it on the day before or trip and everything was ice cold the day we left. I loaded all the food in the fridge and turned it off. 4 hours later at our destination the ice in the freezer didn't show the slightest hit of melt and the fridge was still ice cold. So I plan to just do that. I don't see us driving longer than 8 hours so I prefer not to take the risk.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #10

Mine has been on propane for the last two days while traveling. First time I've ever done it. As far as laws, I'm not familiar with all 50 states by any means but the only restrictions I've ever seen in the east coast is tunnels. I know in Baltimore the tank itself is not allowed in the tunnels. You have to go across the Key bridge on 695. Only reason I ran mine this time was I have over a week worth of food in it and I couldn't find my ice blocks to place in it for a cooler cooler effect. No problems and used very little propane. So little the gauge hasn't moved. I didn't turn it off at fuel pumps but like the other poster its quite a ways from my tank. Not sure why anyway. Biggest issue would be static electricity on the nozzle itself and that's going to light gas fumes not the propane. As a firefighter I've put out several Rv fires. Takes quite a bit of heat and time for a tank to blow. Camper will be a metal frame and extinguished before the tank gets that hot. But the jet of fire coming out the hose is impressive. I would worry more about explosive decompression in a wreck or other such rapid event.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:48 AM   #11

I never run refrigerator on the road. I place pre-frozen items in freezer prior to departure and run for two days on coldest temperature. Night before all road departures I put on coldest temperature setting as well. Even in summer months this has worked flawlessly.
KurtG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:52 AM   #12

Certainly the choice is yours to run it or not. The DOT regulations allow it, except in the situations described above. RV propane systems are built to comply with these regulations in the event of a crash, and are certified to be in compliance.
This brings another point to mind. Have your RV propane system leak tested every couple years. Even parked on a campsite, a leak is something you don't want. Although a leak is not common at all, it pays to check from time to time,
Old 04-06-2015, 07:28 AM   #13

RV fire ... a blown tire started it, notice the concern about the propane tanks towards the end of the video. As my earlier post noted ... anything can set-off the chain-of-events, even a tire issue (going faster than it is rated).

Old 04-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #14

Yes, it is certainly your choice as to whether you run your fridge on propane while driving. If you feel better about that and have no issues, go ahead. But I just find it easy to put the fridge on "Auto" so when I plug into shore power, it automatically switches over to electric. When I unplug, it switches back to propane. Been doing it this way for at least 10 years with a TT. My dealer tech pointed out this feature during the PDI, just a few weeks ago. So they acknowledge it's OK to drive with the fridge running on propane. (Jayco puts in the disclaimer as a CYA statement - probably from their legal department.) And ask yourself - why else would the manufacturer include this feature?

With the fridge on Auto, it's one more thing I don't have to worry about when I get to a campsite. (It seems I frequently forget to start the HW heater - but remember when it's time to do dishes the first time. LOL!)

Scoutr2 (Mike)
Old 04-06-2015, 08:01 AM   #15

Safety Sam says never run with the propane on... there are many reasons for this.. an accident on the highway could rupture the propane lines feeding more fuel to the fire.. ALSO when you are refueling at the gas station all those gas fumes and the pilot light comes on for the fridge.. possible KA BOOM..
yes the fridge does keep things cold for about 6 hours if you don't open the door..
That said most RVers do drive with the propane on .. blissful ignorance..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #16

Bad idea to run on propane while traveling, not even close to be recommended by Jayco (read the manual). Our frig contents stay nice and cold over a day's travel w/o any addition risk if in an accident by having the propane tanks turned on..

Regards,
Larry
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
That said most RVers do drive with the propane on .. blissful ignorance..
I have already suggested it is in safety's interest to shut off the fridge when refueling - and I do so on my new trailer. But I am not ignorant, sir. I have asked the question, and been told by two dealerships (Keystone and Jayco) that driving with the fridge running is an acceptable practice - and they made me aware of the dangers when refueling. This is simply a choice. I choose to do so. If you choose not to, so be it - it can't hurt.

That said, I used to not drive with it on, either, until about 10 years ago when I arrived at the campground in some very hot weather and found the fridge temp to be at 56 degrees. Didn't know how long the food sat at that temp, so we threw away all the meats and other spoilable foods and spent about $50 restocking the fridge the next day. Since then, I keep the fridge on.

As far as Safety Sam and manufacturers are concerned, they will ALWAYS err on the side of safety when giving advice, because of liabilities and our extremely litigious society these days.

Again, this is just my opinion, and I'm not recommending anyone follow my lead. The question was asked and I answered.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
Old 04-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #18

Scoutr2, I'm with you.
My my my, another hot button topic.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #19

I like to run the refer while smoking a cigar while sharpening my knife on a rotary grinder at the pumps while filling my car with highly explosive jet fuel..... as of yet, no problems!

Happy Spring (finally)!

Alicia and Glenn
Hartford (area), CT
2012 Nissan Pathfinder (V6)
2014 X18D
gvn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvn71 View Post
I like to run the refer while smoking a cigar while sharpening my knife on a rotary grinder at the pumps while filling my car with highly explosive jet fuel..... as of yet, no problems!

Happy Spring (finally)!
Now, that there is funny! Unfortunately, there are folks walking around out there who would actually DO this kind of stuff. And we've all seen them!

Scoutr2 (Mike)

Tags
propane fridge