Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #1

Optimizing Storage in 26BH

Just got a new Jayflight 26BH and am looking for storage ideas to get the most out of the cabinet spaces.

What has worked for you?
carolyn5365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:32 AM   #2

Fill up all the spaces keeping like items together and leaving most of it home because you probably will not use it.
Just our experience after 10 different RV's.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:56 AM   #3

You should find out soon just how little you really need.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:00 AM   #4

If the 26 BH is like our 32 BHDS, I built shelves for the wardrobes as we NEVER have the need to hang clothes in there. Only thing that is hung up is maybe a sweatshirt. Thats what the hooks that I mounted on the bedroom door are for.

While we don't have the same model, check the mods link in my signature for possible ideas. The fence post sleeve mod I have stores my sewer hose, a GPL 7' folding ladder, and 4-6' pvc poles for when we need our "tarp tent" due to weather.

In the pass through I used a couple large ladder hooks to hold a brush on an expanding pole, 2 flag poles, and scissor jack crank handdle.

Have fun, and don't lose to much sleep surfing for ideas!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:37 AM   #5

We have a 23rb so I'm not sure if the bathroom closet is similar in the 26bh or not. I bought a hanging shelf closet organizer from WalMart for the bathroom closet and it works well for me to put our towels, washcloths, undies, etc. in each of the dividers and still have room for what little hanging clothes we take along. The divider would also work in the cabinets on both sides of the bed but that's where I store our pillows/blankets when we're not using them.

Doing a search on this site and also on Pinterest will give you lots of ideas that might work for you. The more you use your trailer, the more you'll find out what works best for your situation.

Happy Camping!
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:47 AM   #6

Great answers so far. I agree that most of the crap we put in our pantries never gets touched except for in May when we load it, and October when we unload it. That's how people get to the mysterious "1,000 pounds of stuff".
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:36 AM   #7

Like need-a-vacation suggested, adding shelving to the wardrobe cabinets is a great idea. I bought Rubbermaid wire shelving and hung them with command hooks for around $50. Totes in the rear storage, under the bed and under the sofa are a great way to keep small stuff organized too. Vertical file holders also work well for storing aluminum foil and food wrap boxes.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #8

If you can see "it"/find "it", then you'll use "it"! Therefore I'm a fan of plastic see-thu storage ~ I don't even need to label them 'cuz you can see what's in there. I've actually bought cases of the flip-top storage boxes as they fit perfectly in the entertainment center, for shoes in the closet, for cooking implements, and in the storage lockers for small hardware, etc. We've also gotten ones for clothing, a rolling cart for bathroom storage, and big flat bins for water, sewer, and electrical crud needed for various camping scenarios! They also makes it easy to remove and store - everything in them remains clean and organized until needed again.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #9

I use cloth storage bins and plastic baskets. I try to keep everything alike together. Under the dining benches I have zippered underbed storage where extra towels and blankets are stored. The things that get used the most are the most convenient to reach. For example, I keep paper plates, etc. in a bin above the table but I store back up supplies under the couch which is harder to get to.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #10

I have similar TT, we have not done extended long trips, mostly long weekends but storage in the cabinets has not been an issue for us, like was said leave as much home as you can, but since we like to cook we do err on the side of having more cooking stuff than we need every trip but good to have it on there in case. We have all the cabinets on the sink side filled with cups plates and stuff, coffee making supplies, spices, etc, and we use the cabinets over the kitchen table for pantry. Like was suggested, clear plastic bins even w/o lids help organize stuff like spices and cups, etc.

We use a large bin to haul food in/out of camper as I want to avoid rodent and other infestations so I take all the food out, even spices, when storing it.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:38 PM   #11

We use plenty of totes and storage containers. Even without lids, they keep things from moving around in the cabinets.

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #12

In my 26BH I did the following:

- Put a full width shelf in the cabinet above the dinette. Basically doubled the storage.
- Used screws and bungee cord to zig zag over the shelf opening above the stereo. Great place for bread, buns, and such and now it won't slide out while in motion.
- Popped the blank cabinet panel above the microwave out and installed a shelf and zig zag bungee. We keep frying pans and other clunky items up there.
- Bought fabric hanging shelves for inside the wardrobes. Not the greatest but easier than cutting wood.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #13

We are just setting up our 26BH. My DW put racks in most of the cabinets to effectively double the cabinet space. She set up all the drawers with silverware trays, and division bins. She has non slip drawer liners between each dish to prevent slipping around while towing. The towel bar behind the commode has a hanging 3 bin storage set.
2011 Shelby GT500 (only thing it pulls is G's)
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited (DD's)
1995 F-150 short wheel base (Sold)
finally03gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewe View Post
In my 26BH I did the following:

- Put a full width shelf in the cabinet above the dinette. Basically doubled the storage.
- Used screws and bungee cord to zig zag over the shelf opening above the stereo. Great place for bread, buns, and such and now it won't slide out while in motion.
- Popped the blank cabinet panel above the microwave out and installed a shelf and zig zag bungee. We keep frying pans and other clunky items up there.
- Bought fabric hanging shelves for inside the wardrobes. Not the greatest but easier than cutting wood.
Do you have any photos of these mods?
NorfolkCounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:43 AM   #15

little heads up...look at my sig for my trailer type

The cardboard bottom in both of our wardrobes popped out...it was held in by these flimsy little staples...happened on our first trip, not much weight in there...I had to glue and screw them back in place

same thing happened in pantry...these shelves are attached by flimsy staples...screwed the stripping into the trailer wall (above shelf stripping was screwed in, don't know why this one wasn't)

I don't know who decided it was a good idea to use staples for construction, especially things that needed to hold weight...so be prepared to fix things like this...if this is the worst problem I have ill be fine lol...more or an irritant than anything
Old 09-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #16

264BHW Modifications

All good ideas. The hanging soft sided shelves seems to be common mod and we did the same thing in the hanging closets in the front.

We also added simple plastic spice holders inside the upper cabinets (on the door). These work great with the skinny neck McCormick spice containers.

Command Hooks, Command Hooks, Command Hooks... use these everywhere. Installed 2 hooks with a cargo net stretched between on the wall to store clothes to keep them off the floor.

I also get great ideas from boat galleys on how to leverage overhead spaces.

I am wanting to add cabinets to extend from the overhead sink cabinets. I have seen similar models with nicer trim package that has these. Is this something you can buy or simply have a decent carpenter add?

Has anyone added any storage to the back bumper? It would be nice to have some extra places to keep a generator, bikes, chairs, etc. Not sure if the back bumper can support such a thing.
craighope70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:01 AM   #17

No on the back bumper in most cases, unless they've been integrated into the frame. Spare tire is about it.
tdk2765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:08 AM   #18

Ditto on soft hanging racks in front wardrobes.
Ditto on Command Hooks.
Ditto on some sort of shelving inside cabinets maximize and organize.
I use tubs underneath for everything, don't like scrabbling around for loose stuff.
We put small baskets on bunk walls with Command Hooks for kids headphones, chargers. We also have soft side folding totes for their clothes in bunk areas.
We put canvas shoe bag on foot of bed, and clear plastic shoe bag on bathroom wall for meds, toiletries.
tdk2765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:06 AM   #19

We use soft-sided baskets in the cabinet above the island queen (some people just have a shelf with a lip here, and soft-sided baskets would work in this situation also).
Each person has his/her own basket for socks, underclothing, swim suits, and night clothes. This works well for these smaller items so that we don't have to dig for them, and takes up less space (and looks nicer) than duffle bags.

In one wardrobe we have a hanging bar for shirts, but we store pants, jeans, and the kids' short sets in the wardrobe that has shelves.

We use shallow rubbermaid tubs under the sofa for our non-perishable foods, but this is a PITA to access, so I'm trying to figure out something better.

Towels are stored rolled up in two of the upper cabinets above the booth dinette. In the other cabinet, we have a few board and card games, spare sheets, remotes for the tv and stereo, weather radio, etc.

I use wire shelf racks in the upper kitchen cabinets. Also, I bought the pyrex measuring bowls in three sizes for mixing and measuring so that they serve many purposes and we don't need as much extra.

In the bottom bathroom cabinet, I bought plastic shower caddies from the dollar tree, and I can easily take out entire caddies to get what I need. Also, this keeps them from knocking all over the place during transit, and it helps contain any leakage.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:27 AM   #20

My wife hung an expandable pocket thingy next to our cabinet. She used a pai of this stick on broom hangers to hold the wood rod on top of the cabinets so no holes were drilled. It rides with no issues and adds a lot of bathroom storage.

We also bought wine bottle holders and hung them on the wall and put our towels in them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0633.jpeg   IMG_0632.jpg  
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote